Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The first Achewood you saw...  (Read 9770 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2003, 03:11:09 am »

Aw, that one's just an old Chestnut.

I know you're all rooting for me to make another wood joke, but you're barking up the wrong tree.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2003, 05:13:27 am »

Sir, if anyone deserves a title in bolded text, it is truly you.
Logged
goose means greedy

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2003, 07:59:19 am »

A bit late on this thread, but I shall bring us back on topic I s'pose (hah):

I found achewood through Elftor.  the first strip I saw was the philippe / emeril eyebrows strip (I caiiin't find it.  my eyesight must be going bad.  I could've sworn I knew the year.  I'll edit this later if I find it) and then from there I read the whole archive and every strip since then each day.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2003, 08:24:19 am »

Quote from: "starlight"

I found achewood through Elftor.


Ditto.
A friend was making me read Elftor, and I was looking through the link section for other comics, and tried a couple. Then I came across Achewood, and the text under the link, which has changed (to "A momentary diversion on the road to the grave") just sent me right there.
I note it's also made it to a front page link too.
Haven't read Elftor in months and months though. And, the only other comic I read (well, apart from Penny Arcade but I read that for the column too) - Drew Weing's journal strip, is finished!
He's moving over to story based comics, which should be cool, given how cool Pup, and some of his older ones were.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2003, 02:54:58 pm »

How I found Achewood is a long and sweet love story actually, but to avoid being sappy I'll tell you that my boyfriend-to-be and I were working for the same horrible company together and the only thing that kept us sane was reading "The Parking Lot is Full" comics online, until they were sued by Disney, and ended the strip.  We then set out to find a suitable replacement - hence he introduced me to Achewood.

I have a specific memory of the comercial for knives one being one of the first I read.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2003, 06:07:06 pm »

The strip that comes to mind for me (although I don't know if this was the first one I saw or not) was Ray and RB selling software that tells you when you should buy eggs and milk.
Logged

Twelvebottoms

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bumface.co.uk
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2003, 06:12:01 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Any references to Martin Landau's Oscar winning performance in that timeless classic film Ed Wood?


PULL THE STRINGK!  PULL THE STRINGK!
Logged
[size=9]The poorly-educated also enjoy Achewood![/size]

Squee!

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2003, 07:40:13 pm »

When I first saw Achewood I thought it was so dumb.  I remember my brother showing me the Antiques Roadshow one, and he was cracking up and I was was all sitting there thinking how dumb my brother was.  So after months of him bugging me to read it, I finally caved in and started at the beginning and read through the archives.

Dang it sounds like I was forced to read it.  Actually I was hooked right away when I started at the beginning.  The very first strip still makes me laugh.

Memories Sweet.
Logged
We close our eyes and the world has turned around again..

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2003, 09:51:25 pm »

Quote from: "Squee!"
I remember my brother showing me the Antiques Roadshow one, and he was cracking up and I was was all sitting there thinking how dumb my brother was.


I love that one.
It was the first one I introduced to my mom, since every Sunday at home, when eating, they would put Antiques Roadshow on. I would just sit there making bitter, snide comments about it, since it is one of the most annoying things ever. Well, generally anything with like, real people on TV is.
So I greatly appreciated that strip.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Twelvebottoms

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bumface.co.uk
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2003, 10:35:05 pm »

Lucky man.  Antiques Roadshow has been on telly here every Sunday since like 30 years ago or something.
Logged
[size=9]The poorly-educated also enjoy Achewood![/size]

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2003, 10:52:36 pm »

Quote from: "Twelvebottoms"
Lucky man.  Antiques Roadshow has been on telly here every Sunday since like 30 years ago or something.


Indeed, I live in the UK too.
My old profile name thingy would have told you that, but it got ditched.
Ah well.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Twelvebottoms

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bumface.co.uk
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2003, 12:59:13 am »

this wardrobe belonging to Prince is wee... almost TOO WEE.
Logged
[size=9]The poorly-educated also enjoy Achewood![/size]

V-Adore

  • Guest
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2003, 02:06:21 am »

Quote from: "Smells"
How I found Achewood is a long and sweet love story actually, but to avoid being sappy I'll tell you that my boyfriend-to-be and I were working for the same horrible company together and the only thing that kept us sane was reading "The Parking Lot is Full" comics online, until they were sued by Disney, and ended the strip.  We then set out to find a suitable replacement - hence he introduced me to Achewood.

I have a specific memory of the comercial for knives one being one of the first I read.

Huh, so that's what killed PLIF? I always assumed that they just got bored and stopped. God only knows that happens to enough webcomics anyway.

Anyway, semi-romantic conversion experiences are always good. I think I ended up sitting the SO down at my computer and marathonning it for him until he Saw The Light[tm]. ... wow, it sounds sort of like a religious cult, doesn't it?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2003, 08:43:21 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm another can't remember.  But I think I got here either through Lileks or Memepool.


If it were memepool, you're welcome, you ingrate. :)


What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Were you responsible for posting it on Memepool?

If so, THANK YOU VERY MUCH MR. BOBBY ISOSCELES!!!  I'm going to mail you a kitten.


http://www.memepool.com/Author/isosceles ... Friday, March 24, 2003 (in re: chicken sexing) ... and yes, I could use a kitten.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The first Achewood you saw...
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2003, 05:44:48 pm »

Sorry Bobby, I been Woodin' it since early '02.  But props on spreading Achewood to the masses through one of my favorite sites.

I got a perfect kitten for you if you want to come get him.  Seriously.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up