Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Merchandise Sales  (Read 13037 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2003, 01:32:35 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Do you think a Nice Pete tee would be too creepy?  Or how about the chicken with the wee-wee?


That would be ding-dong  :wink:


Hey, Onstad has his euphemisms and I have mine.  D*ng D*ng was just a little too blue for my tastes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

fuddes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
    • http://dailyramblings.com
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 02:45:12 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
has anyone else there ever sort of wanted an Achewood URL on t-shirts and such?


Oooh, I hate URL's on shirts.  Not as much as shirts with stuff on the back, but close.  Anyway, I think Onstad knows that if he doesn't include URL's, his site will get better promotion.  His shirts and the comic characters are very odd, and people can't help but ask what it is.  So, of course, as superfans we will go off at length about how great the site is, which is the best promotion of all.
Logged
Humor columns and other stuff:
http://www.dailyramblings.com

V-Adore

  • Guest
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2003, 02:55:37 am »

Quote from: "fuddes"
Anyway, I think Onstad knows that if he doesn't include URL's, his site will get better promotion.  His shirts and the comic characters are very odd, and people can't help but ask what it is.  So, of course, as superfans we will go off at length about how great the site is, which is the best promotion of all.

See, I suspect I'm in the minority here, but I almost never get asked about my shirts. I've gotten a "nice shirt!" once or twice, but I've gotten perhaps two serious "hey, what's up with your shirt?"s, and one was from my mother. Maybe I just have too high a threshold of what constitutes interest reasonable enough to start preaching the merits of the 'wood; once again, this is probably a situation I could solve with just a little less shame.

Anyway, I entirely agree with you in that the lack of URL makes for a much nicer, snazzier-looking shirt design. I was just thinking about conversion of the unbelievers -- er, nonfans...
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2003, 12:37:08 pm »

I spent an entire party with people calling me Todd because of my shirt (I was meeting 70% of the people for the first time).

I liked the old Achewood logo shirt which included the URL in a subtle manner. Plus it had the "minor diversion" line which I've always been fond of.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2003, 07:33:36 pm »

Alright, now that Onstad's killing the Touch-Me-Not and Girls Come From Heaven shirts - and while he's at it, why not delete King of the Make-Outs and Ass in Your #####?  Did anyone actually buy either of these? - it's time to have a pointless discussion about what the next shirt designs should be in the vain hope he'll actually read this and take it to heart.

Pause for breath.  OK.

Other than the obvious Sanyrobuki and Nightlife Mingus shirts, what other designs would you support with your hard-earned/ill-gotten $?

For the moment, I can only think of three:

A Little Nephew shirt

Beef and Ray peeling out in the '65 Ford Galaxie - Stand on it, Agnes!

A Prime Time Records shirt, perhaps with some of the label's artists on the back.

What else?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2003, 08:06:17 pm »

I bought a king of the makeouts shirt.  I thought it was neat.  

I think the genius of Onstad's t-shirt designs is that they're not just reproductions of strips, but truly unique and independent of the character development.  That said, I think some variation on a Nice Pat shirt would be extremely awesome.  Also, a "killing is a special thing you do when you want someone to die" shirt would be wicked bad, but nobody would ever be able to wear it in public.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2003, 08:07:20 pm »

The condom box.
The roasted-up ding-dong.

And I think the Ass in Your ##### one is awesome.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2003, 08:14:36 pm »

I thought the Vlad shirt was his 2nd best design (Special Boy/Girl being first, doy) I just never got one because I was trying to limit my spending.

I wish I'd gotten that instead of Todd, in retrospect. Ah well.

Some of the proposed designs are neat in theory but there aren't any I would buy.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2003, 08:19:15 pm »

I would wear a "Killing is a special thing you do when you want someone to die" shirt as long as it didn't feature a cartoon cat on it.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2003, 08:23:08 pm »

The only shirt I would really, desperately want would be the Sanryobuki shirt. But other than that... well, I'd take a "Illegal Ghost Bikes" Scrabble shirt or something involving the "Cutlery, bourbon" strip.

I bought a "King of the Make-Outs" baseball T for my boyfriend, actually.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2003, 08:41:18 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I bought a "King of the Make-Outs" baseball T for my boyfriend, actually.


(cue porn music)

</obligatory smartass comment>
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2003, 09:10:24 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

I bought a "King of the Make-Outs" baseball T for my boyfriend, actually.


Your boyfriend is a lucky man!!

I like the idea of a 2nd anniversary shirt.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2003, 09:24:43 pm »

I bought a makeout king shirt for my husband.  He liked it.  My mom didn't get it.  

I like the idea of a scrabble shirt, that is hecka cool.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2003, 09:33:22 pm »

While I realise that saying this will bring upon much ridicule and ire from you die-hards, I must confess that I never really understood the "Illegal Ghost Bikes" Scrabble joke.

The dadaist in me enjoyed the reaction at the confluence of the idea of ghost bikes that were in some way under legislature which prevented them from being legal, but I've always suspected there was a joke there I just wasn't getting.

Could someone please explain?  Feel free to do so in the most smart-alecky way possible.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Merchandise Sales
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2003, 10:15:06 pm »

Sounds like maybe even Onstad didn't know why everyone loved it so much!?
Maybe he just came out with it surrealy one day and they all heckled for a tee of it?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up