Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Karaoke!  (Read 6570 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« on: November 25, 2003, 06:05:52 am »

Yes, I went tonight.  Yes, I sang.  (Bon Jovi, Bed of Roses.)  It was a blast.  Pedro, however, sang Tenacious D's Tribute, and brought the house down.  Hi-frikkin-larious.  

So...who has karaoke stories?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 06:08:55 am »

The Romantics, What I Like About You at a work retreat with 12 other lawyers plus my boss.

I made it worth their while.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 06:19:56 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
The Romantics, What I Like About You at a work retreat with 12 other lawyers plus my boss.

I made it worth their while.


My spouse did that with his brother once.  Aforementioned Brother whipped out a harmonica at the appropriate time, and proceeded to wail.  It was awesome.  

I can only imaging AugustWest's interpretation, in front of a bunch of lawyers.  Wow.  Talk about having balls.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
Karaoke!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 07:06:19 am »

I once karaoke'd JBB's "Red *****" as a duet with The SO at a mini-nerd-conclave. (It was his idea.) Blitheringly horrible, yet strangely amusing.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Karaoke!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 01:25:03 pm »

The Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody."  Realized about halfway through that I wasn't going to be able to hit the high note near the end ("I-I-I NEEEEE-ee-heed your love," that one).  Tried anyway.  Butchered it really badly.

In college, "To All the Girls I've Loved Before."  I was Willie, my buddy Chris was Julio.  With no prior discussion, we managed to sing the chorus in harmony.  We left 'em standing.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 01:35:31 pm »

I'm totally with you on the high notes.  Last night, the DJ put my song in "C," thinking I was a guy (since my first name is gender-neutral) and when he realized that I am in fact a lady he moved it up to "F."  Well, I am a lady, but I guess I have a deeper voice than most (definitely an alto; often a tenor).  I like to compare myself to Eartha Kitt.  Except, you know, more white and less talented.  So I had to shift into a lower register for the first chorus and just stayed down there for the rest of the song, much to the amusement of the DJ and much to the delight of my screaming throngs of fans.  (There were about 20 of us friends there.)  

I should have told him specifically not to mess with the key.  Ah, well.  Next time.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 06:45:19 pm »

I'm tone deaf, so that entire post made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

That is all.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 08:17:14 pm »

Me and a few other guys from an improv comedy troupe I was part of wound up at a karaoke place.

Never go to a karaoke bar with guys from an improv comedy troupe.  It gets ugly.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Karaoke!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 08:57:51 pm »

I suggest never going ANYWHERE with people from an improv comedy troupe.  They tend to be the least fun people on the planet, and not funny at all when not doing one of their little "skits."

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 09:15:42 pm »

Maybe you just have shitty improv troupes there in Alphaville.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Karaoke!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 09:38:32 pm »

No, they're pretty bad all over.  

I saw the Upright Citizen's Brigade and they were pretty good.  They weren't really improv, though, since they scripted everything out.

And the Kids in the Hall travelling show was pretty good, but again, not improv.  Just live sketch comedy.

I think the problem with comedy improv is that even the funniest people are not funny 90% of the time.  So during a ninety minute show, you're only going to laugh for about ten minutes total.  The rest of the time you just sit their uncomfortably, embarrassed for the performers and wishing you'd spent your $20 on something like porno.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 10:13:52 pm »

Watching an improv show which never takes off is horrible, I agree, though not as horrible as actually taking part in one.  

But if all the non-scripted improv you've seen is 90% crap, then I have to reiterate my claim that you've got some shitty troupes there in Alphaville.  Dead spots happen in almost every show, that's just the nature of trying to invent something entertaining off the top of your head in front of an audience.  But I've never seen a night at our theatre that was 90% dead spot.  

I'll also concede that some improv comedians can be humorless choads when they're offstage.   But I've made friends with some amazing people while doing this, and had an absolute blast being with them onstage and off.  

Different strokes.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Karaoke!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2003, 12:22:50 am »

I didn't want to have to come out and say this, but here goes:

People who do improv almost always think that they're funnier than they are.  Trust me. They're not.  You're not.  You just have to come to accept that.  I've seen shows all over the country, even two out of the country, and I know people who do improv.  They're lame.

It's all lame.  It's nearly always lame.  It's just the nature of improv comedy troupes.

Seriously, ladies, if you're on a first date with a guy and he tells you he's part of an improv group - RUN!

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

And fellas, if you're on a date with a girl who tells you she's part of an improv group - SLEEP WITH HER!

THEN

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

But don't forget to leave her money on the dresser.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Karaoke!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2003, 01:51:13 am »

I didn't want to come out and say this, but here goes:

Fuck you, Jough.  You've insulted me twice today because we differ over an aesthetic issue, which I've never seen you do to anyone else on these boards since you started them.  

I don't know what the hell your problem is, but if this is the level of disrespect I can expect from you from here on out, well, I don't need it.

I'd like to say a quick thanks to everyone else on the board, I had fun posting here.  See ya.  

Block away.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Karaoke!
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2003, 02:19:28 am »

My disagreeing with someone on an aesthetic issue is hardly "insulting" them.  

I guess I hit a nerve by saying that Improv is not often very funny and/or entertaining.

You can take it personally if you'd like, but I think you're over-reacting.

Anyway, you're kinda helping to make my point.  People who do improv tend to have no sense of humour whatsoever.

Or is this outburst a "bit" and I just don't get it?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up