I could never ethnograph this. The urge to Freak Out and Talk Sense would be too great. It is the same reason I don't go to church anymore and have never attended a midnight screening of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I can handle a Ren-Faire for the food and to watch people joust or whatever but... please, don't come up to me In Character and expect me to LARP with you. I am not a foreign trader, you are not some kind of archer for the king. You and I are people at a pretend pleasant place and if you cross over that line, I will Freak Out and Talk Sense.
I guess that I am sort of supremely judgemental but all I can say is that it comes from a place of compassion. Well, the Rocky Horror Picture Show not so much but...
"LOOK, OKAY, IF YOU ARE GAY, THAT IS AWESOME AND I AM FINE WITH THAT! GO BE GAY AND THAT IS AWESOME BUT... THIS IS ACTUALLY AN IRREDEEMABLY BAD FILM, PLEASE, GO HAVE OMNIAMOUROUS MAKE-OUTS, DO NOT WASTE YOUR LIFE MAKING COSTUMES TO WATCH BAD FILMS AND PRETEND THAT *****ICALLY REPEATING THE SAME QUIPS ONCE A MONTH WILL FILL THE PLACE IN YOUR HEART THAT ACTUALLY NEEDS A COCK! GO BE HAPPY! GET AWAY FROM THIS FILM THAT IS TERRIBLE ON ALL LEVELS!"
I can only imagine what that would turn into when confronted with a sea of heavy-set hillbilly white kids expressing their disaffections through... jester-rap.