Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?  (Read 20231 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 08:11:41 pm »

You may be onto something, but it's not exactly news. We're social animals. Forming social groups is what we do. You might as well moan about wombats digging tunnels. giraffe gotta swim, birds gotta fly, primates gotta know who's up and who's down and what the rules are. And then complain about it, I suppose.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 08:14:20 pm »

Ain't saying I have an answer. I don't think I've ever said I have good answers for anything.

Just a whole lot of questions and gut-feelings.

I believe you might be reading a bit more stridency into my gut-reactions to situations than I'm intending. Now, granted, I type quickly and have all kinds of ideas on a given notion when I think something through, some of them glib, some of them melodramatic so I see how the mistake is more mine than yours but...

Yeah. I'm "judging people" a lot less than I am "throwing ideas against a wall".

Anyway. Too many too-like minds and there is born an orthodoxy, no matter how good the intentions, I dunno.

And where there is orthodoxy, there are power differentials to be abused and that's where I check out, Charlie, like gone.

Immersive Pretend + Power Differentials = A Bad Moon Rising. I am wooged out, the subtle feelings of group-think and manipulation toward the consensus kick in and I don't wanna be nobody's master anymore than I wanna be anyone's slave.

It is why I am ultimately pretty bad at being a Good Liberal despite being a bleeding heart.

I don't want to exert power and I don't want power exerted upon me. Hate the feeling of either.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:42 pm »

Just a whole lot of questions and gut-feelings.

"Drama pipes" was never more accurately used to describe something than right now at this moment.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:27:21 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 08:46:23 pm »

Totally.

I am fully programmed to function exactly like a normal human being within a 3% tolerance.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 12:18:35 am »

Quote
within a 3% tolerance.

For some reason this reminds me of a thing that has been bouncing around my head lately, which is that THEY ACTUALLY INVENTED TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 12:38:59 am »

For some reason this reminds me of a thing that has been bouncing around my head lately, which is that THEY ACTUALLY INVENTED TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM.

Yeah, but it's only transparent for like a millisecond before it explodes.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2009, 12:46:00 am »

also: yeah, I wasn't throwing ideas against the wall, I was judging people.

Silently, in a way that probably has only the effect of, say, making me spend 6 weeks with 1 friend at a linguistics conference, because the other people at the conference are all too nerdy? Yes. Exactly that way.
Exactly that way where I think that I am "too cool for those kids,"  and they think "that awkward kid has no friends, we should be nice to him."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:40:12 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2009, 04:24:05 am »

oh for fuck's sake all of you people shut up

here's a good solon-of-athens style compromise that will make no one happy but everyone will be at least equally unhappy

- everyone has the right to associate with whatever subculture or activity they choose (ren faires, juggalo gatherings, dragoncon, fantasy football, pub crawl clubs, 4H, the republican party, etc.)

- by that same token, if the majority of those people arent functioning members of society then everyone else gets to make fun of them

functioning, here, refers to a majority subset of:
- can hold down a job
- will not be declared self-destructive in terms of lifestyle habits by a AMA-licensed doctor, psychiatrist, etc
- expresses empathy for fellow human beings or humanity as a general
- has fewer than three felonies on their personal record
- has achieved at least a high school education or equivalent GED
- can be trusted, according to the standards of their community, to raise children


by this definition most ren faire people pass muster and most juggalos* do not

quod erat demonstrandum now shut the hell up



* also code pink
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2009, 04:38:55 am »

oh for fuck's sake all of you people shut up

But I was only in this thread for the transparent aluminum.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2009, 06:26:37 am »

Oh, I won't deny anyone's right to say The Great Outdoor Juggle looks goofy as hell. I was mainly replying to the notion of going there (or the renfaire, or Rocky Horror, or etc etc) and then lecturing the natives on why they shouldn't be enjoying it.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2009, 12:32:49 pm »

The Great Outdoor Juggle

I hope you like Dr. Pepper enough to enjoy this tiny can of it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

DavidFailkips

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4
  • OH SHI-
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DavidFailkips
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2009, 02:42:48 pm »

I have been Summoned to weigh in on the topic of Juggalos.  This is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word "juggalo".



(also "Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.")
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2009, 03:20:05 pm »

It looks like a casket, but it's really a cooler filled with Faygo.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2009, 03:22:43 pm »

I sure hope so.  Kid-size caskets are not laugh material, I don't care how ridiculous the parents are.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2009, 04:27:05 pm »

Yeah.

There are so many jokes to be theoretically made but... that's a kid. A young kid.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up