Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?  (Read 20224 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2009, 02:21:09 pm »

Very nice.
My dad always jokes he wants a viking funeral with his dog on his surfboard. Luckily he's pretty hardy so I've got a while to work out the legality of that.

I had no idea that vikings surfed.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2009, 02:57:36 pm »

My dad says he wants to be cremated, put in a fried chicken bucket and floated away down the Erie Canal while a Dixieland band plays "Oh When The Saints Come Marching In".

Dad... Dad says a lot of things. Runs in the family.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2009, 03:22:03 pm »

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

We can make it happen, AW. We. Can. Make. It. Happen.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2009, 04:15:15 pm »

My dad says he wants to be cremated, put in a fried chicken bucket and floated away down the Erie Canal while a Dixieland band plays "Oh When The Saints Come Marching In".

Dad... Dad says a lot of things. Runs in the family.

[[sings]]
oh youll always know your neighbor and youll always know your pal
if youve ever navigated on the erie canal
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2009, 04:32:54 pm »

[[sings]]
oh youll always know your neighbor and youll always know your pal
if youve ever navigated on the erie canal

My third grade music teacher told me to give you a can.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2009, 05:36:38 pm »

That reminds me... I saw a movie a couple of weeks ago that was set on the Eerie Canal in the 1860s.  Can't remember the name of it, but it was Henry Fonda's first movie so it should be easy to look up.  In the movie they spent a lot of time in Little Falls and it reminded me of you Mike.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2009, 12:34:47 am »

I had no idea that vikings surfed.
They totally would have though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2009, 06:13:47 am »

Just watched this episode of Frontline about marketing to teens.  How they find what's cool and market it.  They seek out teens that are trend setters and then expose it to a mass audience in the process killing it.  Therefore what's cool was constantly shifting.

They make the point that the marketing reflects the culture and then becomes an echo chamber and the culture begins reflecting the marketing.

They used ICP as an example of authentic youth culture because they weren't created in some MTV lab.  And that the rage they displayed was against the mass marketed culture itself.  The show then posed the question was ICP so out there, so obnoxious and terrible that it couldn't be marketed.  But yet they actually managed to do just that with the result being Limp Bizkit.

As horrible as they are I think they earned a little bit of respect from me for being who they are and not what Madison avenue created them to be.

I'm saying this very poorly.  I encourage everyone to watch that program it was very enlightening.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2009, 06:18:30 am »

I am disappearing for a short while. If I don't come back by monday... start to think things.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2009, 06:33:51 am »

A-CAP is infiltrating the juggaloes.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2009, 06:46:24 am »

Missionary work preaching Objectificatologism to Juggalos is one of the funniest ideas ever.

It is like "The Gods Must Be Crazy" except with children raised by wolves and an autographed picture of Rush Limbaugh.

Surely, whether the outcome be accidentally fair (through cancelling out) or horrifically foul (through amplification) it shall be... interesting.

Godspeed, little doodle.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2009, 05:44:33 pm »

Just watched this episode of Frontline about marketing to teens.  How they find what's cool and market it.  They seek out teens that are trend setters and then expose it to a mass audience in the process killing it.  Therefore what's cool was constantly shifting.

They make the point that the marketing reflects the culture and then becomes an echo chamber and the culture begins reflecting the marketing.

They used ICP as an example of authentic youth culture because they weren't created in some MTV lab.  And that the rage they displayed was against the mass marketed culture itself.  The show then posed the question was ICP so out there, so obnoxious and terrible that it couldn't be marketed.  But yet they actually managed to do just that with the result being Limp Bizkit.

As horrible as they are I think they earned a little bit of respect from me for being who they are and not what Madison avenue created them to be.

I'm saying this very poorly.  I encourage everyone to watch that program it was very enlightening.
They started out selling their albums out of a van in high school parking lots (according to the legend, at least).

They are authentic counter-culture warriors because they're doing it for Jesus
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2009, 07:22:34 am »

I do not know if authentic youth culture should involve like, renting out the hot dog stands that they have at state fairs, and charging people a lot of money to come to see your weird festival thing.

mostly I just hate the idea that the only way to avoid commodification of your culture by outsiders is to make it so... unlikable to me personally.


Let's be honest, one of my favorite bands is Nirvana. I can love something after it has been ripped off a whole lot. As long as it's, you know, good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2009, 07:50:27 am »

I don't know, Nirvana has spawned so much terrible music I can hardly forgive them.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2009, 04:47:38 pm »

My idea is that terrible music will always be around, and all Nirvana did was maybe shape the sound of terrible bands. I just watched hype! again yesterday so it's on my mind.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up