Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?  (Read 20210 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2009, 05:03:03 pm »

Like I say, it's just what was put in my head.

My dad was just a little bit too young to really be of that generation and his whole life he has been haunted by the idea that Real Change could've come out of those years but because nobody stepped up, once none of them had to worry about themselves or their lovers getting drafted, the whole thing dispersed and everyone who wasn't too drug-addled to function stepped back into the legislated nostalgia of their parents' white-picket-fence yards to...

To raise a new generation, my poor generation, with the hope that maybe the responsibility could be shifted to them as their own absolution, only to end up with a twenty-year stretch of self-obsessed media addicts, self-obsessed funhouse-mirror Alex P. Keatons and... to borrow one of Hunter Thompson's best known phrases... all these failed seekers.

All the potential leaders assassinated, retired into narcissistic guruhood or too busy putting too much hope into their kids.

God, if I ever finish that novel I put down when my brother got sick, that's what it is on the deepest deepest level.

My wrestling with the shadow of my father's sense of generational loss. That while he was playing keyboards for small-time bands and slaving in a gun factory to feed his kids, America didn't quite die but at least rolled over in bed, refused Last Rites and asked for more morphine. Dylan is just one of the larger symbols of that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2009, 05:19:40 pm »

I'm not talking about the bands that came up with Nirvana, most of those bands were really cool actually.  I remember seeing Gas Huffer in a sweaty attic bar in Lubbock Texas.  I'm referring to the sea change in rock and roll that took place in their wake.  And it ties in to what I was talking about with that Frontline piece.  Did anyone watch that, it's very good.  Anything that's cool and authentic gets seized by Madison Avenue and sold back to the kids. 

So yeah Nirvana rocked like a mother fucker, awesome band.  Seether and Staind and Creed and Days of the New and all the other corporate media message friendly rock bands that dominate the rock charts these days suck so much ass.  When did whiny and pathetic become the new cool?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2009, 07:08:06 pm »

No I get it. I'm just saying don't blame Creed on Nirvana. Blame Creed on 4 or 5 dudes who write shitty songs. And Madison Avenue if you need to.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:58:32 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16:11 pm »

Oh I'm blaming Nirvana.  I'm blaming the fuck out of 'em.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2009, 10:26:57 pm »

By that logic, we should be blaming Les Paul for all of those bands, not to mention all the bad bands to come out after some arbitrary cutoff point.

"Inventor of the Solid-Body Electric Guitar, held responsible for the band Creed, died today at age 94."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2009, 10:30:05 pm »

Canned for Onion-worthy headline.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2009, 10:47:47 pm »

I can think of nothing worse than being held responsible for Creed.  I'd rather go to a gathering of the Juggalos than a Creed concert.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2009, 11:00:05 pm »

Oh man what if Edison and Tesla had a rap battle.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2009, 11:01:34 pm »

Tesla would smoke his ass.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2009, 11:08:37 pm »

I can think of nothing worse than being held responsible for Creed.  I'd rather go to a gathering of the Juggalos than a Creed concert.

im sure creed and ICP have plenty of fans in common.

also, how much do you want to bet you and creed have common ancestry within the past 120 years?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2009, 11:25:50 pm »

Anything's possible.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2009, 11:33:15 pm »

I think there's got to be a generational step in between Nirvana and Creed. Like maybe Nirvana is responsible for the Foo Fighters and they are responsible for Creed.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2009, 12:10:48 am »

i hold pat boone responsible for creed, and andrew lloyd weber for scott stapp
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2009, 01:28:56 am »

have you read the story on wikipedia of how Scott Stapp attempted suicide?

It is a really sad mix of... a really sad/pathetic story, and weird delusions of being more of a significant musical figure than he is.

it answered my wondering about, you know, "do creed know that they're horrible, or do they think they are a huge deal artistically as well as commercially?"

there was some really horrible popular band that I read an interview with where they explicitly said, "we do not care whether this music is good, it is making us money, we are crafting a product." I think I respect that more than the idea that Creed are really putting their best into expressing themselves through this music.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Great thing, or Greatest Thing?
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2009, 01:49:47 am »

Good News!!! Creed are getting back together.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up