Being on the other side of this has been incredibly odd. The continual demonizing of the Canadian health care system by the US GOP and right wing media is so totally off base. Having worked in health care in Canada for the past 7 months, and having specifically worked for people experiencing several co-occurring conditions, and are also marginalized, stigmatized and otherwise without access to basic necessities of life, I am all for our medical system. All the bullshit you folks outside Canada hear about how bad our medical system is doesn't compare with the fact Canadians have longer life expectancies than Americans, continually vote to maintain the current health care system, and otherwise indicate satisfaction and good health under our current system.
There was a recent campaign in the US using the experiences of a single Canadian who vocally bashed the experience of using the Canadian medical system in some American smear campaign, and it was later proven by carefully backed up, independant research in Canada that every one of this person's claims of poor treatment were false and grossly exaggerated. I wish I could recall the actual person's name who made these claims, because I saw several reports earlier this month where every aspect of the anti-Canadian medical system smear campaign was proven wrong, and where the person who had made the claims in the first place did some major back peddling.
On a personal note, I have had several serious health problems over the years and with each issue, I have easily and quickly received care as needed. The only time I struggled with accessing care was when I was suffering from depression, and looking back now, I can honestly say I was aware of care available to me, which I avoided accessing due to the stigma surround mental illness coupled with the fact I didn't want to face the root cause of my illness, not because care wasn't available.