Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The popular song(s) you hate the most.  (Read 15855 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:01:14 am »

You know, the song or songs that are/have been popular enough to get a lot of airplay that you just hate. The sort of song that makes you angry at the world for liking it.

Discuss.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:19:36 am »

One Week - Barenaked Ladies

The level of loathing that I hold for this song is the standard by which I measure my displeasure regarding all others.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:23:39 am »

'black hole sun' ruined 1995 for me. and '96.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:24:06 am »

lprkn you have one week to take that back
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:35:51 am »

'black hole sun' ruined 1995 for me. and '96.

I like black hole sun, but it annoys me.  It's like the singer builds up to it, but then never climaxes.  C'mon man sing the high note, I know you can do it.  That song is like a yawn that never quite materializes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 04:42:49 am »

he sure sounds sounded great with audioslave though
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:51:50 am »

Choop - yes Black Hole Sun was terrible.  Also - the video for Black Hole Sun was equally terrible.

One that I currently hate more than anything is that damn Taylor Swift song "Love Story."  I hate it so much that my husband and I have deconstructed it for awfulness in order to analyze why it is so bad.

Love Story

We were both young when I first saw you (you are 19, being young is NOT a past-tense thing)
I close my eyes
And the flashback starts
I'm standing there
On a balcony in summer air

See the lights
See the party, the ball gowns
I see you make your way through the crowd
And say hello, little did I know

That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles
And my daddy said stay away from Juliet
And I was crying on the staircase
Begging you please don't go, and I said

Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story baby just say yes

So I sneak out to the garden to see you
We keep quiet 'cause we're dead if they knew
So close your eyes
Escape this town for a little while

'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter (Now you're just naming titles of books.  The Scarlet Letter is about a 17th century puritan woman who has a child via an adulterous affair... how does that even related to... oh never mind.)
And my daddy said stay away from Juliet
But you were everything to me
I was begging you please don't go and I said

Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story baby just say yes

Romeo save me, they try to tell me how to feel (feminism really is dead, isn't it?)
This love is difficult, but it's real  (oh really, cause you seem to be basing it on some vague understanding of a play you skimmed in grade 9)
Don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess
It's a love story baby just say yes
Oh oh

I got tired of waiting
Wondering if you were ever coming around
My faith in you is fading
When I met you on the outskirts of town, and I said

Romeo save me I've been feeling so alone
I keep waiting for you but you never come (alternate lyrics I made up:  "I've read some books, or at least I know the basic gists")
Is this in my head? I don't know what to think (alternate lyrics:  "It don't matter if I don't know what the context is.")
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring

And said, marry me Juliet
You'll never have to be alone
I love you and that's all I really know
I talked to your dad, go pick out a white dress  (wait, did you even rent the movie version of Romeo and Juliet?)
It's a love story baby just say yes

Oh, oh, oh, oh
'Cause we were both young when I first saw you
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 05:27:11 am »

But... but that song is catchy and has a happy ending.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 05:44:06 am »

That shit was rockin'!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 06:09:16 am »

I'm a horrible music snob, I don't think that needs to be re-belaboured...

Though it must be noted that all things Gwen Stefani has been attached to, that category holds a special place in my hate.

Establishing her career under the premise "well, if you call my horrible punk-pop horrible, I will hide behind calling you a sexist because I am a PUNK and I am part of a REAL GROUP OF MUSICIANS" and then, the moment she is famous, quitting rock and her band and suddenly putting out profoundly-awful dance tracks dolled up like the copy of a copy of a copy of Madonna... this earns you a special ring in hell.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 06:34:43 am »

all that downer post-grunge/white-trash-wanna-be-metal/radio rock.  disturbed, dickelcrack, breaking benjamin, saliva, etc... rednecks seem especially drawn to that shit.

"yes, im sorry that you  hate jocks and you hate corporations and you hate religion and you hate society and you hate your parents.  put down that bottle of jaeger, use this tissue to wipe the eyeliner off your face, and come out into the sunshine for a li'l bit.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 01:05:41 pm »

One Week - Barenaked Ladies

The level of loathing that I hold for this song is the standard by which I measure my displeasure regarding all others.

As a pre-Maroon BNL fan I like this song. I have a soft spot for songs where they sneak in a lyric change (it'll still be one week till I say "wasabi")

This isn't exactly in the spirit of the topic, but Rent. Every song. I fuck*ng hate Rent so much.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »

My #1 most-despised pop song is...

(drum roll please)....

Don't Go Chasin' Waterfalls.

Why?

Waterfalls don't move, you dolt! You don't have to chase them! They're stationary objects!

Gah.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 01:20:44 pm »

I also like One Week, not their best song but fun.

Most hated song I was just reminded of: My humps, my humps my humps etc. ad nauseum.
Apart from it being a horribly ear raping tuneless piece of noise 'my hump' is the least alluring description for female anatomy basically ever.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up