Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The popular song(s) you hate the most.  (Read 15847 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 08:24:04 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2009, 08:49:55 pm »

aesop rock is better.

whatev, pennsyltucky.  (hee)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2009, 08:50:42 pm »

whatev, pennsyltucky.  (hee)

I'm originally from Pennsyltucky. I'm glad I don't live there any more.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2009, 09:10:16 pm »

I'm originally from Pennsyltucky. I'm glad I don't live there any more.

im glad you found a place where your kind is accepted.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2009, 10:45:38 pm »

Quote from: pmcd9
Jimmy Buffet is profoundly terrible.

So true that I'm surprised it isn't hidden in bible code somewhere.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2009, 04:56:50 am »

I think I officially can't handle Robert Plant ever again thanks to this damn thing.

I don't know if I ever thought before, "would Led Zeppelin be better without Robert Plant?"
The answer is maybe, when listening to all the songs that sound like this, in terms of "I'm singing so Bluesy!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:23 pm »

They're from Minneapolis.  We still fuck*ng RULE the alt-rock and indie world after 25 years.  Owl City, Solid Gold, Jeremy Messersmith, Haley Bonar, Bon Iver, Har Mar Superstar, Atmosphere, it's all good.

I am sorry that I had to revoke a tiny can for your inclusion of Owl City in the list of acts that "rule the alt-rock and indie world," but I'm afraid it's the only way you'll learn.
Logged

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2009, 11:46:46 pm »

"Would Led Zeppelin be better without Robert Plant?"
The question as far as I'm concerned is "Would Led Zeppelin have been good without Robert Plant?" And my answer would be "Probably." Page walks a pretty thin line, but I think they'd be OK. Anyway, it's all academic. Plant took what would probably have been a good if not great band and turned them into something that I will forever loathe.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2009, 12:35:47 am »

I am sorry that I had to revoke a tiny can for your inclusion of Owl City in the list of acts that "rule the alt-rock and indie world," but I'm afraid it's the only way you'll learn.

I noticed right away I'd been decanned...at least I know why now. (no I don't; what was wrong with including OwlCity??) (pleeeze don't take away another can)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2009, 08:40:57 am »

The question as far as I'm concerned is "Would Led Zeppelin have been good without Robert Plant?" And my answer would be "Probably." Page walks a pretty thin line, but I think they'd be OK. Anyway, it's all academic. Plant took what would probably have been a good if not great band and turned them into something that I will forever loathe.

I knew you seemed alright.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2009, 05:47:22 pm »

I noticed right away I'd been decanned...at least I know why now. (no I don't; what was wrong with including OwlCity??) (pleeeze don't take away another can)

Sorry if you feel sad due to punishment.  Maybe you could get a thousand hugs from ten thousand lightning bugs to cheer you up. 

Or maybe a pretty sparkly pony, catching dreams on a rainbow lollipop, could give you a butterfly kiss and a handmade coupon for maximum cuddles.

I hate that particular Owl City song the most because I think it's a pandering caricature of twee electropop.  The can was removed because Har Mar, Bon Iver, Atmosphere et al. are deserving examples of Mpls' stature as a ROCK CITY.  Including Owl City in that list is like including Rachael Ray on a list of great TV chefs with Bourdain, Ramsey and Colicchio.  One of these things is not like the other.

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2009, 06:27:14 pm »

great TV chefs with Bourdain,

This is a sort of a tangent, but is Bourdain really a TV chef?  I mean, he's clearly a chef who is on TV, but he has a travel show, not a cooking show.

Which reminds me that I need to get caught up on this season's shows.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2009, 07:02:37 pm »

This is a sort of a tangent, but is Bourdain really a TV chef?  I mean, he's clearly a chef who is on TV, but he has a travel show, not a cooking show.
That could be said of all three. I like them and everything (though I've never seen evidence that Colicchio can so much as fry an egg), but I have to assume that Alton Brown could cook them all under the table. The man is a scientist.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2009, 07:14:51 pm »

Sorry if you feel sad due to punishment.  Maybe you could get a thousand hugs from ten thousand lightning bugs to cheer you up. 

Or maybe a pretty sparkly pony, catching dreams on a rainbow lollipop, could give you a butterfly kiss and a handmade coupon for maximum cuddles.

I hate that particular Owl City song the most because I think it's a pandering caricature of twee electropop.  The can was removed because Har Mar, Bon Iver, Atmosphere et al. are deserving examples of Mpls' stature as a ROCK CITY.  Including Owl City in that list is like including Rachael Ray on a list of great TV chefs with Bourdain, Ramsey and Colicchio.  One of these things is not like the other.


Where do you live?  (I ask only because I'm coming to your house to get my can back.)  (Or the handmade coupon for maximum cuddles, whichever you give me first.)  (Goddamn it.)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The popular song(s) you hate the most.
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 07:27:40 pm »

That could be said of all three.

True, now that you mention it...

Quote
I have to assume that Alton Brown could cook them all under the table. The man is a scientist.

I don't know.  I love Alton a whole lot and he has influenced my cooking more than anybody other than my mother and grandmother, but he's never been a professional chef.  Didn't he go to cooking school just so he could make Good Eats? 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up