Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs You Love  (Read 30795 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Troy_Convers

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
  • GIN MAKES A MAN MEAN!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2009, 10:46:16 am »


I Want You Back - The Jackson Five (best pop song ever, and I will fight to the death on this one.  Find a flaw with it.  I defy you.)


You've not heard that song until you've heard Smokey Robinson's version. Man, he's still got it!
Logged
EVERYONE BOOZE UP & RIOT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2009, 05:26:08 pm »

You've never heard of Tammi Terrell!?! Wow!

For your enlightenment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammi_Terrell

I have heard of her and heard her sing many many times, but I had until yesterday never seen her.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

schnitzelbank

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2009, 05:47:29 pm »

Here's how lazy I am:  I thought it would be way easier to play mandolin than guitar because you can make more two-fingered chords.  Unfortunately, that is negated by tuning those tiny pairs of strings to each other!  (also the sheer lack of actual two-fingered chords; I think there's like five in all.  I WAS MISLED.)

I went from mandolin to ukulele. Not only are there a bunch of two-fingered chords, there are plenty of one-fingered chords. Despite Mr. Isosceles saying "Why do I want to buy an iPhone and a fixie bike right now?" when I play, it can be used for all types of music: Elvis Costello playing The Scarlet Tide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZx-lsbxqI
Logged

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2009, 06:01:54 pm »

I went from mandolin to ukulele. Not only are there a bunch of two-fingered chords, there are plenty of one-fingered chords. Despite Mr. Isosceles saying "Why do I want to buy an iPhone and a fixie bike right now?" when I play, it can be used for all types of music: Elvis Costello playing The Scarlet Tide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZx-lsbxqI
I used to be in a band with a fulltime mandolin player. Very nice to have around for what we were doing. Homeboy was definitely rockin' an iPhone and a fixie, though.

As for the uke, a friend of mine visited me a couple of months ago. One reason she came to town was to see a band I'd never heard of, but who were quite good. Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2009, 07:12:53 pm »

I went from mandolin to ukulele. Not only are there a bunch of two-fingered chords, there are plenty of one-fingered chords. Despite Mr. Isosceles saying "Why do I want to buy an iPhone and a fixie bike right now?" when I play, it can be used for all types of music: Elvis Costello playing The Scarlet Tide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZx-lsbxqI

Is this...are you...

Have we found the elusive Mrs. Isosceles?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2009, 07:16:56 pm »

Is this...are you...

Have we found the elusive Mrs. Isosceles?

She's not that elusive. Wombat and I have both met her, at least.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2009, 07:18:26 pm »

She's elusive in that she's not around this board much, at least.

I think what we need more of is spouses.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2009, 07:52:17 pm »

Yes, still working on the banjo. Unfortunately I realized that I can make great banjo sounds playing with a pick. So I just play a weird mix of "amazing grace" and "can the circle be unbroken". Also, I came up with a chord progression that I really like and play a lot.
Really though, I want to learn clawhammer.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2009, 08:12:34 pm »

Yes, still working on the banjo. Unfortunately I realized that I can make great banjo sounds playing with a pick. So I just play a weird mix of "amazing grace" and "can the circle be unbroken". Also, I came up with a chord progression that I really like and play a lot.
Really though, I want to learn clawhammer.

Sad note for you, tI. In case you ever actually get to see Thao live she apparently doesn't tour with a banjo. She does play her guitar with a toothbrush for one song, though. So that's pretty bad-ass.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2009, 08:21:09 pm »

Type "clawhammer" in youtube search and there are good intro tutorials to clawhammer banjo.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »

I've returned to playing music a lot more regularly -- I've got a buddy, Buddy, and he's gotten me back into it. 

Been playing guitar and noticing some definite improvement can be achieved from renewed  regular practice.  And I rented a bass and an amp this month, which has been just great.  Now I'm in the market for a bass, I think.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2009, 09:36:17 pm »

I have seen these tutorials. I just HATE TO HELL the part of learning an
instrument that is mostly "keep doing this uncomfortable, frustrating motion until it feels normal."
especially because the drone string conflicts with my guitar reflexes. My hand wants it to be the first string, not the fifth thing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2009, 01:51:35 am »

An iPhone and a fixie?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2009, 03:50:17 am »

An iPhone and a fixie?

thats what i was thinking, as well...

maybe its to do with hipsters?(i-phone/fixed gear bicycle)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2009, 04:05:55 am »

thats what i was thinking, as well...

maybe its to do with hipsters?(i-phone/fixed gear bicycle)
Glad I wasn't the only one wondering, and yes, I think that's exactly it. 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up