Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs You Love  (Read 30823 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2009, 02:25:53 pm »

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, "Home". I love this song!  Every time I hear it I smile.  I don't know that it's one for the ages, but it's great for now.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2009, 08:33:16 pm »

The song Cross the Breeze by Sonic Youth is amazing. I had previously liked it, but when I saw them live I realized the degree to which this song is AWESOME.

I have also been on a big Johnny Cash kick, which hasn't happened in a year or so. I forgot how many of his songs are Perfect.

Specifically, Big River is so good. This version is a bit fast, as are all the live versions I found on youtube.

Also amazing: Hey Porter, although it makes me feel an association with the South that is mostly a lie.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2009, 09:36:31 pm »

Great Picks. I've been listening to a lot of Cash as well, mostly the Live at San Quentin Album. It has a great version of Big River and also Wanted Man.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I've also been listening to a lot of Lightning Bolt lately. I can never make it through an entire album though, since it is about 60 min. of pure sonic assault.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2009, 09:54:04 pm »

gary go-wonderful

radical power pop.  hell of uplifting and affirming.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2009, 04:09:16 am »

Man the Exploding Hearts are so good.  Jailbird is awesome, as is Throwaway Style and Boulevard Trash.  You can tell on all of the songs about glue they are passionate about the subject.  I like that part best.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:54:42 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2009, 04:17:00 am »

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, "Home". I love this song!  Every time I hear it I smile.  I don't know that it's one for the ages, but it's great for now.

That was fantastic.  I want to hear more from this band.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2009, 04:26:41 am »

I'm a Pretender -- The Exploding Hearts

I think I found my new favorite band. For some reason I feel like I had their album a few years ago but never listened to it. That is a mistake I need to correct.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2009, 04:47:24 am »

Yeah, relatively recent for me too, and Christ, I can't get enough of this song. I've listened to it like a dozen times today.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2009, 04:52:34 am »

I've listened to it like a dozen times today.

That's what I've been doing with Shelia by Atlas Sound. Though I have to be careful not to stare at the cover art too long because that photo will haunt my dreams.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2009, 05:11:28 am »

You're telling me! And for some reason I bought it on vinyl. Thanks Mr. Bradford Cox! Let's just say it won't be on display.

But he is granted rock n roll immunity for anything he ever does because of this alone. I stumbled my way up to him after a show in Chicago once, when he as DJing an after-show set, me fucked up on gin and xanax, and thanked him for this song because I knew that one day it would save my life. It was the xanax talking, but I know he appreciated the sentiment. I even went on to compare it to, at least in my head if not aloud to him, Heart Cooks Brain by Modest penis, previously mentioned by me in this thread.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2009, 05:14:30 am »

I kind of met him once, he was a very friendly dude. My friend went up to talk to him after a show and I just kind of stood there, he shook my friend's hand and stuff. Also, like, the way we saw him in the first place is that he just came out and stood in front of the venue and said hi to people.

also: today I found a website that finally told me a banjo picking pattern that people actually use. YES.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:28:38 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2009, 03:33:41 pm »

My current work environment prevents me from visiting YouTube, so you'll just have to trust me that Be Calm by the punctuated band Fun. is one of the most bizarrely thrilling things this side of Queen that I've heard in a long-ass time.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2009, 03:49:11 pm »

My current work environment prevents me from visiting YouTube, so you'll just have to trust me that Be Calm by the punctuated band Fun. is one of the most bizarrely thrilling things this side of Queen that I've heard in a long-ass time.

Are you familiar with The Format? I'm pretty sure they're the band that singer in fun. used to be in. It certainly sounds like the same guy.
Logged

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Songs You Love
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2009, 04:27:26 pm »

Yep, that's the dude.  The former lead singer of Anathallo is part of fun. as well.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up