Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Beefy - Nov 02 2009  (Read 13196 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 04:09:47 pm »

what the fuck is a maakies


this isn't a troll or anything, i just have never heard of this before here
same with 'lileks' (again, not trying to joke, i'm serious)

where is all this crap webcomic material coming from? (well, "the internet," but i mean: how is this spreading)

and i thought i was edgy for liking Milk and Cheese back in the day
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maakies

It pre-dates achewood by quite a bit, I guess.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 04:16:30 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maakies

It pre-dates achewood by quite a bit, I guess.

well, i mean that is a response one can give (the wikipedia page), but the bottom line is: why haven't i heard of these comics before? it's not like i live under a rock or have never read a webcomic.

i give up and will read garfield only
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 04:18:06 pm »

Whoa

I was non-positive about this strip over on paywood, and some non-Onstad person (presumably staff or unofficial moderator) informed me I was banned for 24 hours.
I tried to reply to them saying 'what do you mean, a 24 hour ban, and by the way who the hell are you?' and found I couldn't (because I was banned, duh!).


It looks like this happens automatically if you are "jeered" enough?

Interesting. Automated community standards.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 04:26:41 pm »

well, i mean that is a response one can give (the wikipedia page), but the bottom line is: why haven't i heard of these comics before? it's not like i live under a rock or have never read a webcomic.

i give up and will read garfield only
It is not a webcomic originally, which is why I supplied the link. Maybe that is why, Bobby. I can't explain your workings of your sphere of influences. Onstad has mentioned this guy before.

The comic/characters are vaguely familiar to me, but I'm not sure why.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

R2DTrousers

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 53
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 04:30:45 pm »

It looks like this happens automatically if you are "jeered" enough?

Agh, thankyou for that theory/explanation - that explains things. Somewhat harsh. I doubt most users know what they're causing to happen when they hand out that third 'jeer'.
Logged
Computer science uses electric machines (computers for example). A computer scientist will need math, science, and know-how to make and use computers.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 04:37:27 pm »

I like Maakies, I haven't read much of it since the rise of the webcomic.

Sometime in early 2006 I made a drinkycrow in Illustrator.  That shit is VECTOR.



Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 04:42:01 pm »

I first heard of it when TMBG sold Drinky Crow shot glasses in their online store. I think it was some sort of tie-in as I feel like Tony Millionaire did the cover art for Then: The Earlier Years.

There is also the (short-lived?) Drinky Crow show on Adult Swim.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 04:54:43 pm »

The AS cartoon was... a lot better than this, to be fair.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Sungjae

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
  • I...have no complaints.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 05:00:44 pm »

It looks like this happens automatically if you are "jeered" enough?

Interesting. Automated community standards.


it would be nice if it was more of a scheme of standards and less of a mine field of capricious whims...
Logged
Korea represents an origin of human civilization, and the Korean nation is endowed with brilliant culture spanning its history of 5,000 years from the early third millennium B.C.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 05:02:26 pm »

Drinky Crow was on Saturday Night Live even. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Cioran

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 07:03:49 pm »

Those of you who do not like Maakies have deeply incorrect taste.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 07:04:57 pm »

it would be nice if it was more of a scheme of standards and less of a mine field of capricious whims...

The standards are encapsulated well by social norms and the niceties of human interaction, aka "manners."

Just because you don't understand the paradigm doesn't mean there isn't one.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 07:12:17 pm »

Those of you who do not like Maakies have deeply incorrect taste.

If being right is wrong, then I don't want to be ...

... wait  ...

... hm ...

... Fuck.



This has been a performance art rendition of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem. Thank you.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 07:53:52 pm »

If being right is wrong, then I don't want to be ...

... wait  ...

... hm ...

... Fuck.



This has been a performance art rendition of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem. Thank you.

I sure wish I could give you a can.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Sungjae

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
  • I...have no complaints.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 08:58:01 pm »

The standards are encapsulated well by social norms and the niceties of human interaction, aka "manners."

Just because you don't understand the paradigm doesn't mean there isn't one.


"paradigm" is a pretty fancy word for what amounts to mob mentality
Logged
Korea represents an origin of human civilization, and the Korean nation is endowed with brilliant culture spanning its history of 5,000 years from the early third millennium B.C.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up