Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Beefy - Nov 02 2009  (Read 13206 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 01:49:26 am »

maakies is aids (so is pbf).
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 01:50:23 am »

I got nothing against Tony Millionaire but this wasn't a very enjoyable or funny strip to read.

While we are at it, I didn't find "Phillipe is standing on it." funny in any way, shape or form.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 01:55:50 am »

While we are at it, I didn't find "Phillipe is standing on it." funny in any way, shape or form.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't enjoy PISOT on its own. I did enjoy reading it as part of the archive, though. Obviously I can't say how I'll feel about this one in the future but I don't see it becoming something I enjoy or really feel strongly about.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 02:02:04 am »

maakies is aids (so is pbf).

Them's fighting words.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 03:25:12 am »

I quite like a lot of Millionaire's stuff, actually.

Just not... this strip. I think his style might not interact with the Ache-characters (Acharacters?) well.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 04:25:29 am »

i love tony millionaire's art, but i don't find him funny in the least. i'd say a good third of achewood isn't funny, but it's almost always interesting. this guest strip wasn't interesting, it was merely novel. a novelty.

in imagining a maakies by onstad, i can't think it would be terribly funny, but i can guarantee i'd find it at least interesting.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 04:49:55 am »

I can see how this strip evolved from the idea of "vodka telescope" vs. "beer goggles" but from there the joke that you and I would laugh about with our friends for 1.5 seconds became a comic strip.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 05:06:24 am »

I think I like language jokes better than dense visual jokes. When I said this is everything that achewood is not I meant that, for me at least, achewood at it's best is very restrained, Onstad will sacrifice clarity for the sake of not overemphasising a funny situation and that'w hy he's great. Reading this strip I feel like everything is exaggerated, I feel assaulted and that's why I don't like it.
Also I don't think Ray or Beef seem like Ray or Beef in this strip and so it makes me confused and sad.
But that's just, like, my opinon man. Also it's a guest strip, it's not like I'm not going to be here tomorrow (this is a daily comic right?) because of it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 05:10:26 am »

Wow, a real Onstad devotee here.

Somebody's been drinking the kool-aid.

Hah, hah, I crack me up.

whoa.  i didnt realize how fan-girl-ish that seems...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 05:12:19 am »

you know i have to say this: i guess when you do a comic strip and tony millionaire draws you a guest strip you run it. he's kind of an institution in the real world of "alternative comics" and not running this strip would have been chris being a cock to a (relative) stranger. and you don't want publishers to think you're a cock to one of their few remaining dudes bringing in money.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 05:26:13 am »

Guest strips used to be a hallmark of webcomics. I feel like they have fallen by the wayside, and I'm sad to see that. I feel like Onstad could probably pull some insane talent to do up some guest strips for him, these days.

I didn't really find the Maakies guest strip that great in this case, but I did appreciate the variety/effort/depravity.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 05:43:14 am »

Yea... Millionaire is no Guisewite.
Logged

Sungjae

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
  • I...have no complaints.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2009, 05:56:26 am »

I dont think that mob mentality is always a bad thing. As a species it has behooved us to maintain a certain level of conformity, otherwise the population would disperse or react differently to threats and not remain cohesive enough to survive. And, as contrarians got weeded out of the population, the tendency toward conformity increased.

evolution in complex systems is not this simple.  For example the concept of increasing returns dictates that often getting your foot in the door first in a complex environment is more important than being best.  Take keyboards - One of the most successful keyboard layouts to have evolved is QWERT, and it was designed to be as slow and inefficient as possible to type on because the keys on early typewriters would jam up if people typed too fast.  

I don't think that your argument for how mob mentality could have been an evolutionarily advantageous trait is valid, but, I don't have any argument to present that it isn't or that the opposite is true.  Maybe mob mentality is something which is encoded in the genome, hardcoded in the hardware of the brain, or maybe it evolved in human culture, aka the wetware.  Or maybe both.  Certainly, culture can trump biological traits, in the sense that we may have evolved such that fast food and zero exercise will kill us, yet our culture pushes us towards this lifestyle.  Maybe we are genetically averse to mob mentality, but it's our culture that pushes us towards it.  All possibilities I think.

obviously mob mentality will continue to bestow evolutionary advantages to many individuals in many cultures for decades if not centuries to come - places like North Korea for example...  Consider also that of all 1st world countries, I think it can be said that conformism is disproportionately high in the U.S.  It's too simple I think to say that wealth promotes individualism, because hey, the U.S. has hella poverty for bein' a 1st world country.  Perhaps even conformism and individualism, when carried to the point of psychosis, are two sides of the same psychosis. 

There is a myth of individualism in the U.S., and the U.S. subscribes to this myth.  While the U.S. does have a tradition of individualism, and while this tradition did originate in rebelling against conformism imposed by Great Britain, for the following two centuries this tradition of individualism has prospered as a contrast and in response to overwhelming forces of conformism which are domestic in nature and which at present rival, at the very least, in effect and in scope, if not in method, the forces of conformism of Great Britain some two centuries previously.

In the complex environment of culture, advanced such as it has these past few years, I'd say that maybe the only absolute that might be true might be the idea that any absolute is going to be worse than none.  And I think that this includes mob mentality.  

If I were president, I'd be pushing that fuckin' red button in the briefcase.  screw you guys, we're gonna TILT this bitch.  We're starting from scratch.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:05:45 am by Sungjae »
Logged
Korea represents an origin of human civilization, and the Korean nation is endowed with brilliant culture spanning its history of 5,000 years from the early third millennium B.C.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2009, 06:02:24 am »

evolution in complex systems is not this simple.  For example the concept of increasing returns dictates that often getting your foot in the door first in a complex environment is more important than being best.  Take keyboards - One of the most successful keyboard layouts to have evolved is QWERT, and it was designed to be as slow and inefficient as possible to type on because the keys on early typewriters would jam up if people typed too fast.  

I don't think that your argument for how mob mentality could have been an evolutionarily advantageous trait is valid, but, I don't have any argument to present that it isn't or that the opposite is true.  Maybe mob mentality is something which is encoded in the genome, hardcoded in the hardware of the brain, or maybe it evolved in human culture, aka the wetware.  Or maybe both.  Certainly, culture can trump biological traits, in the sense that we may have evolved such that fast food and zero exercise will kill us, yet our culture pushes us towards this lifestyle.  Maybe we are genetically averse to mob mentality, but it's our culture that pushes us towards it.  All possibilities I think.

obviously mob mentality will continue to bestow evolutionary advantages to many individuals in many cultures for decades if not centuries to come - places like North Korea for example...  Consider also that of all 1st world countries, I think it can be said that conformism is relatively high in the U.S.  It's too simple I think to say that wealth promotes individualism, because hey, the U.S. has hella poverty for bein' a 1st world country.  Perhaps even conformism and individualism, when carried to the point of psychosis, are two sides of the same psychosis.

In the complex environment of culture, advanced such as it has these past few years, I'd say that maybe the only absolute that might be true might be the idea that any absolute is going to be worse than none.  And I think that this includes mob mentality.  

If I were president, I'd be pushing that fuckin' red button in the briefcase.  screw you guys, we're gonna TILT this bitch.  We're starting from scratch.

While I wouldn't want you pushing the red button just yet, you have given me a lot to chew on. I do think the Americans idolize a rugged individualism that is independent of wealth and has more to do with the fact that the pioneers were people who did not fit in elsewhere. In general, though, individualism is seen in newer (American) OR richer (European) cultures, and seems to be fading due to ... something. Reality TV? Advertising? Lack of effort relating to reward? Lead in the water? Who knows.  I posited a general regression toward the mean (see also /b/) but it could very well be caused by another X factor that, with our limited time and resources, we may never know.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Beefy - Nov 02 2009
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2009, 06:21:55 am »

I like the ones where the stuffed animal shows his c*ck.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up