Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizization Codependency  (Read 16441 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 05:19:51 am »

I am so disorganized that I have no right to post in this thread after the following punctuation mark.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 07:00:03 am »

I'm ADD (no H in there, it's all brain runnin') and constantly disorganized.  I need either a deadline or a lot of little tasks to get something done.  At work we use the SCRUM system, which tends to keep me fed with tasks that I can grok.  If I can't immediately break something down into a series of steps leading to a solution, I'm basically a helpless turtle.  For this reason I tend to let big projects sit until my mental triage determines that It Will Not Get Done If I Don't Start Now, and then I force myself to sit down, think out a plan, and start.  The unfortunate part is that my mental triage sometimes underestimates. :(

I also have this Thing where I can only accomplish one extra task a day.  Anything else looks like scaling the Himalayas after, say, dealing with the pile of mail, or getting a haircut.

What's weird is that I hated cleaning much more in college than I do now, but I did it much more when I had roomates.  I think it's because I felt like if I cleaned more than them I could guilt them into doing other stuff.

Maybe what I need is a lackey.  Those look handy.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 11:18:39 am »

I'm not a very organised person so I won't speak to that but I like what Ash said.

All my memorie of helpiong my Dad out with stuff when I was a kid are of being told I was doing things wrong, which kind of bugs me because there is tonnes of stuff I want to learn from him and probably won't know. Some stuff I still can because time has mellowed him and made my skin thicker and other stuff I've learned on my own but it's not quite the same as learning it from your dad I think.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 02:22:35 pm »

And sometimes, those things make it impossible for me to have clean underwear, and I don't know what to do about that (besides do laundry at midnight when he's sleeping).

Buy more underwear.

How about going to a laundromat? Maybe it would be a fun outing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 03:14:50 pm »

Buy more underwear.

How about going to a laundromat? Maybe it would be a fun outing.

That is an intriguing idea,and I might try it if I can find a laundromat that isn't sketchy. We live in an affluent suburban area where even most student apartments either have a washer and dryer included or a private laundry in the building, so laundromats are few and far between. Both of the ones I know of are scary looking (one actually shares a storefront with a payday lender/bail bonds place, and they both have bars on the windows) and usually contain very disheveled people sleeping on or near the machines.

I have been to nice laundromats in other cities, so I know they exist, but the ones here are not places I'd want to take my kids.

On another note, I have always wanted to open a diner/laundromat/arcade targeted at college students away from home for the first time. I'd have clear written instructions on all the washing machines and give away free milk or juice with balanced meals. 3 - 4 PM would be Cookie Hour. All the wait staff would encourage the students to eat their vegetables and keep their elbows off the table (politely). I'd call it "Mom's Place."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

R2DTrousers

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 53
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 04:45:28 pm »

I'd call it "Mom's Place."

*bottom lip quivers, eyes well up*
Would this only be open to students?
Logged
Computer science uses electric machines (computers for example). A computer scientist will need math, science, and know-how to make and use computers.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »

Seriously, you're not checking out how to do a small business startup package in your municipality yet? Maybe with city/state/federal kick ins?

Take it from a guy who did a small to large to profitable sell starter, it's not rocket science. Table that idea until both kids are in school and then hit it.

Agreed!  This is a viable business option, IMHO.  And to ensure that it is actually a viable business, there are tons of free resources in pretty much any community, from SCORE to business libraries to SBA outposts. 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 05:53:25 pm »

Let me know when you're ready to start franchising these things, JL.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 06:26:43 pm »

I'm an intensely organized person.  I keep a to-do list in a notebook I take with me everywhere. 

Beyond what others are saying, the only thing I can add, related to sanity maintainance in a happy relationship, is that I don't expect my husband to be on the same page as I am about how to organize tasks, or to be in agreement about what is the priority thing that needs doing at any particular time.  We're both generally flexible in that way, which works well.  He's generally less driven than I am, and I try to make peace with that.  Honestly, I really need his laissez-faire attidue to balance my go-go-go nature. 

It also greatly helps that he is generally interested in being supportive. 

In the end, the things that get done get done and the things that don't don't typically lead to "the end of everything."     
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 06:37:03 pm »

On another note, I have always wanted to open a diner/laundromat/arcade targeted at college students away from home for the first time. I'd have clear written instructions on all the washing machines and give away free milk or juice with balanced meals. 3 - 4 PM would be Cookie Hour. All the wait staff would encourage the students to eat their vegetables and keep their elbows off the table (politely). I'd call it "Mom's Place."
I can already hear the NPR interview in my head.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 06:55:49 pm »

Beyond what others are saying, the only thing I can add, related to sanity maintainance in a happy relationship, is that I don't expect my husband to be on the same page as I am about how to organize tasks, or to be in agreement about what is the priority thing that needs doing at any particular time.  We're both generally flexible in that way, which works well.  He's generally less driven than I am, and I try to make peace with that.  Honestly, I really need his laissez-faire attidue to balance my go-go-go nature. 

It also greatly helps that he is generally interested in being supportive. 

Amen.  If only all couples had this outlook...what a blessing.  In my marriage, we have the former (a laid-back attitude about what needs to be done), but not the latter (support and agreement on what needs to be done), nor motivation (to get the shit done).  Thus our house is a mess and no one bothers to do anything about it until I get sick of it, and angry that I have to do it all if it's gonna get done. 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 07:19:46 pm »

You know there is another way to approach at least some of these things, and that is to throw money at the problem. We have a housecleaner come every other week. It is a very good investment in domestic tranquility, given the number of arguments that just don't happen because of it.  It doesn't get everything done, but at least there is a set of things that just never have to even get discussed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 01:25:31 am »

This is a viable business option, IMHO.  

Awww. You guys are sweet. This is my retirement dream, when the kids are out of the house and we are independently wealthy and don't need to actually make money for the first few years.

Also, I would like to open a hobby and game store that sells yarn, scrapbooking/papercraft stuff, Warhammer/tabletop gaming equipment, and model-building supplies, and call it "His & Hers Hobbies." We would have frequent events that encouraged men's knitting groups, women-only Warhammer leagues, couples' "date night" events, and, of course, singles mixers. But that's a relatively recent dream that I haven't worked out as well yet. Should we have a separate thread for harebraned schemes?

You know there is another way to approach at least some of these things, and that is to throw money at the problem. We have a housecleaner come every other week. It is a very good investment in domestic tranquility, given the number of arguments that just don't happen because of it.  It doesn't get everything done, but at least there is a set of things that just never have to even get discussed.


We're too short on money at the moment, having just moved, but we have already agreed to hire a lawn service as soon as our yard appears to need attention (we have so many trees and so much shade that we actually haven't had to mow the law even once since we moved in here in August). The most Pedro's had to do is blow the leaves to the street so the leaf fairies can pick them up.

And I don't mind doing the housework myself, as long as I can actually get around to doing the housework, you know? Because, in contrast to what smells said, sometimes there are things that don't get done around here that actually do lead to the scenario where things fall apart a little bit. I won't go into it because it sounds like whining, but there are days when I don't actually have time to brush my teeth, let alone do any of the other things that are necessary to keep the house going. And if I have three or four of those days in a row...it gets bad. Very bad.

Amen.  If only all couples had this outlook...what a blessing.  In my marriage, we have the former (a laid-back attitude about what needs to be done), but not the latter (support and agreement on what needs to be done), nor motivation (to get the shit done).  Thus our house is a mess and no one bothers to do anything about it until I get sick of it, and angry that I have to do it all if it's gonna get done. 

This.

Well, almost. Yes, laid-back attitude. I don't expect my home to look like a spread in Southern Living. I do expect to be able to walk through my living room without wading through ankle-deep toys (though that's fine in the playroom), and I do expect to have food to eat, clean dishes to eat off of, and clean clothes to wear. I don't remember the last time I dusted. I don't clean toilets and sinks unless they are visibly dirty *and* we have company coming. I don't clean the sink Pedro shaves in at all, because nobody uses that bathroom but him. We're talking very minimal housekeeping standards, here. And usually, I don't even manage that.

But there are larger things beyond the housework that need doing. This house is 40 years old. It wasn't well cared for these last 15 years. Things are broken that we need to fix, and managing the projects is the real challenge. Nights don't offer enough time, and Pedro doesn't like to do them on weekends because, in his mind, Saturdays are for fun and frolic.

So there's an agreement that these things need to be done, and even a motivation to do them, but it seems like what we lack is the opportunity. Either the kids are running around, or we don't have enough time to do something from start to finish while the kids are with a sitter. And I guess that's where breaking down a task into smaller components would help. But I guess it's not a communication problem or a motivation problem, it's a problem where opportunities don't readily present themselves. And I am all about creating our own opportunities, by making lists and scheduling things in advance, but that's where I get the push-back. Pedro is very spontaneous, but spontaneity doesn't usually get the bedrooms painted, you know?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 02:09:06 am »

I am pro-dudeknitting.



And why yes: That is a Ravenclaw House Scarf based around the designs from the later Harry Potter movies.  DO YOU WANT TO WIZARD DUEL ABOUT IT?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Organizization Codependency
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 02:12:41 am »

Dudeknitting is sexy.

Pedro learned how to knit as an anniversary surprise for me, so we could share a hobby.

He knitted me a fuzzy loincloth and matching bra.

I'm currently making him a sweater.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up