Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85397 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2011, 01:16:47 am »

"dave's ex-con bread"
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #241 on: July 06, 2011, 01:22:35 am »

Have I mentioned a chicken salad made with a grainy mustard, dill relish, some mayo and a hard boiled egg chopped up in it? Put it on some of your favourite grainy/crunchy bread and some dill havarti. Or Muenster. Or smokey Gouda.

Have a bunch a little dill pickles on the side.

This is basically my standby chicken salad recipe, minus the egg and cheese, and instead of the relish I usually dice some pickles and sometimes some jalapenos and mix it in. Also sometimes a favorite hot sauce. But I am going to try it with the egg, that's a good idea. And maybe the cheese.

We have Dave's Killer Bread out here but not everywhere. I've liked what I've had.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #242 on: July 06, 2011, 07:12:03 pm »

I woman I dated for a couple years once sang in a band Dave played in. She said he was a really nice guy and a talented guitarist.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #243 on: July 06, 2011, 08:51:13 pm »

There seems to be a interconnection between ex-cons and bakers for some reason.  That is a thing here too.  I always figured that it was because most of the larger bakeries in the city are nestled right in the same area as the missions, shelters and sex trade areas of the city.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #244 on: July 06, 2011, 09:50:56 pm »

Oh man, that is totally why in places were there isn't a huge drug trade you ALWAYS buy cocaine from waiters.  I bet at least 75% of waiters at cool places either have cocaine on them or could get it within a day.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2011, 02:18:28 am »

Oh man, that is totally why in places were there isn't a huge drug trade you ALWAYS buy cocaine from waiters.  I bet at least 75% of waiters at cool places either have cocaine on them or could get it within a day.

If by day you mean fifteen minutes.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2011, 02:33:42 am »

Maybe things have changed since I waited tables (in 1998-99), or maybe it's regional, but I wouldn't have counted on my table-waiting buddies for coke. Weed, X, or acid, sure, but either I was too sheltered to know what was really going on or coke is (was?) too expensive for the average wait staff in my town. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #247 on: July 07, 2011, 05:52:29 am »

I have always heard that waiters do coke, but my friends who are waiters do not seem to do coke.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #248 on: July 07, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »

Back to the topic of good-ass sandwiches, yesterday I got lunch from the "Rolling Ficelle" truck in DC.  A ficelle is like a baguette, only skinnier. I got one with roast beef, some kinda cheese, lettuce and tomato, and a hossyradish sauce.  That was a good-ass sandwich.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #249 on: July 07, 2011, 03:41:56 pm »

I'm sure it's not pronounced that way, but when I read "ficelle"  I thought fecal-y, which was a turn off for me.  Same as Quizno's which is a sub chain, I always thought queasy-no's and didn't eat there for years.  Turned out they are actually alright for a chain restaurant. 

In other news: this thread always makes me hungry for a quality sandwich, and in my local, there just aren't any good deli's in the immediate vacinity.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #250 on: July 07, 2011, 05:13:10 pm »

When I was in Chicago recently, I had my previous Best Sandwich Of All Time for the second time.

This time... egh. Not that impressive. I don't know what changed. They moved locations and now it is all this really douchey Trendy Organic Techno feel that I hate.

But something was definitely way off about the sandwich. Last time the elements were in perfect harmony:

Serrano ham
Manchego Cheese
some kind of sweet fruit spread
fennel
pretzel bread
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #251 on: July 07, 2011, 05:45:29 pm »

Back to the topic of drugs and the food service industry, I bet waiters do a lot more meth than coke these days?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #252 on: July 07, 2011, 05:56:40 pm »

That's probably true. When I was waiting tables, LSD was more popular around here, but I think it's been replaced by meth.

Pot is still a perennial favorite, but that's barely even a drug.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2011, 06:17:16 pm »

I'm sure it's not pronounced that way, but when I read "ficelle"  I thought fecal-y, which was a turn off for me.

I don't think you're the only one. At the bottom of the menu on the truck, it says "It's pronounced 'fi-SELL.'"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #254 on: July 07, 2011, 06:28:55 pm »

Quote
Pot is still a perennial favorite, but that's barely even a drug.

I want them to do anti-drug campaigns with this message.

"hey guys, you're teenagers. Use pot and drink alcohol in moderation, OK? None of that other stuff."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 41   Go Up