Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85401 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #285 on: July 09, 2011, 12:03:38 pm »

I ordered a falafel and small smoothie from this fuck*ng hipster organic place today for lunch.  Twenty dollars! 

WTF. Was in fried in panda oil or something? Was it one of those deals where the chickpeas were consumed by a small mammal and shitted out and collected by hand? That's fuck*ng insane.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #286 on: July 09, 2011, 12:38:21 pm »

I know.  The worst part is that during the lunch, after realizing how bad the food was,  I checked my voice mail and had a work-related message that was devastating.  So I'm eating shitty, ridiculously over priced food and listening to a voice message about someone's life being basically destroyed.  The implications of the message were that I would have several calls to make, including breaking really bad news to someone.  Honestly, if I hadn't checked my voice mail I would probably have at least asked from some dressing for my salad, but at that point I just needed to finish up and get somewhere private to make the sad phone calls. 

Even worse perhaps is that there is a great falafel place about a 10 minute drive from where I was that would have charge me a quarter of the price, and the only reason I didn't go there was that they only take cash and I didn't have any on me and didn't want to make the extra stop.  Of course I didn't know the place I stopped was so expensive or shitty.  Oh well, lesson learned.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2011, 02:39:53 pm »

As a vegan it is important to know the best falafel place in town.

When my vegan friend lived in the U-District of Seattle, which is basically a vegan mecca, we'd always go out for falafel when I'd visit. I always thought that if for some reason I became vegan I'd eat falafel at least 4 days a week. And peanut butter the other 3 days.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2011, 03:32:01 pm »

Maybe I've never had good falafel.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #289 on: July 09, 2011, 03:48:45 pm »


[Stuff about drugs]


Keith, I get this. I do. I have smoked enough pot to know that drugs =/= alcohol and they all have different kinds of effects. I mean, hell, I've been pretty fucked up on prescription hydrocodone fairly recently (it doesn't take much for me). But you of all people must understand that the same drugs have different effects on different people, and even the mild stuff that is supposed to give you a nice mellow makes me feel ways that I don't particularly care for.

I'm glad you found some stuff that works for you and you're able to manage your recreational drug use in a healthy way. But it's really not for everyone; some people don't like roller coasters, and I don't like being chemically altered.

I don't even take my prescription painkillers for migraines unless they last more than 48 hours, because I'd rather be in pain than be high. It just doesn't feel good anymore. It used to, certainly, but after I had my second kid, my body chemistry changed, and most things just make me feel sick.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2011, 05:18:13 pm »

I'm sorry, but I just have to say something.  I do drugs mainly because some of them, my favorites at least, leave you in better control of your facilities, at least while high (cocaine) or keep your facilities similar but make everything better (cannabis).  Opioids kinda do, but in a way that is safer (and much, much better than) alcohol.  Mainly you just sit around and watch movies about climbing or doze, not go get in car wrecks or something.  Psychedelics do, but in a way were you kind of know what is happening, at least after the first time.  And anyways, it is way more rewarding than alcohol.  Everyone should take 5 grams of shrooms with a few people they are close with in desolate nature once a year.  It is a great way to evaluate where you stand in the world and figure out if you're on the right track.  When I take acid I usually just walk around town and visualize myself walking as if in a movie.

Anyways, I don't really like alcohol either, it is too numbing.  But I do like things that show you a new perspective on the world or help you relax in a fairly harmless way.  Alcohol doesn't do that for me, so I generally don't use it, but y'all can, that's cool.

Keith, I would really love to discuss this sort of thing with you some time, but I am not going to do it on a public forum.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #291 on: July 11, 2011, 02:42:45 pm »

Yeah, we went down this road before. Keith, I'd like to say here that I appreciate that you pick your spots when discussing this stuff.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #292 on: July 12, 2011, 03:17:43 am »

I will also agree that this is the sort of thing I will not agree with in public.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:33 pm »

I had a roast beef sandwich yesterday, but it wasn't great.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2011, 04:58:41 pm »

I will be preparing an awesome sandwich for lunch today:  broiled wild atlantic salmon salmon, sliced avocado, field greens, honey dijon in a whole wheat pita.  I will also likely add almonds or walnuts if there are some in the cupboard.  I am looking forward to this.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2011, 07:01:13 pm »

Are burritos sandwiches?  Pizza?   

I say yes to both.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #296 on: July 12, 2011, 08:05:34 pm »

No and no. To be a sandwich, you have to have something *sandwiched* between two other things.

Non-traditional sandwiches: Oreo (sandwich) cookies, ice cream sandwiches, quesedillas, burgers, bagels with fillling. Pitas count, but only if they're split and the stuff is stuffed inside. None of this "pita wrap" garbage.

Things that are not sandwiches: Pizza, burritos, tacos, gyros, or anything else where the bread or bread substitute is wrapped around the filling.

My conundrum: Hot Pockets. Sandwiches, wraps, or just plain disgusting?

What about hot dogs, brats on a bun, etc? Are those "sandwiched" in the bun, or are they "wrapped" in it? Or should they be in an altogether different category, since the meatstuffs are cylindrical in nature? Need the filling be relatively flat to constitute a sandwich?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #297 on: July 12, 2011, 08:06:22 pm »

Are burritos sandwiches?  Pizza?   

Are you nuts?  Absolutely not.

I ate here today.  It was awesome. A "flatbread wrap" does walk a line between a sandwich and not a sandwich.
http://www.eatsauca.com/

(JL posted ahead of me.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #298 on: July 12, 2011, 09:48:03 pm »

I think a hotdog is nestled in the bun.

I've been having a lot of run of the mill good ass sandwiches lately.  Either sliced ham or turkey on white bread with mayo sharp cheddar and tomatoes.  Occasionally I will squirt a little Goulden's spicy brown mustard on.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »

No and no. To be a sandwich, you have to have something *sandwiched* between two other things.

Non-traditional sandwiches: Oreo (sandwich) cookies, ice cream sandwiches, quesedillas, burgers, bagels with fillling. Pitas count, but only if they're split and the stuff is stuffed inside. None of this "pita wrap" garbage.

Things that are not sandwiches: Pizza, burritos, tacos, gyros, or anything else where the bread or bread substitute is wrapped around the filling.

My conundrum: Hot Pockets. Sandwiches, wraps, or just plain disgusting?

What about hot dogs, brats on a bun, etc? Are those "sandwiched" in the bun, or are they "wrapped" in it? Or should they be in an altogether different category, since the meatstuffs are cylindrical in nature? Need the filling be relatively flat to constitute a sandwich?

Are you nuts?  Absolutely not.

I ate here today.  It was awesome. A "flatbread wrap" does walk a line between a sandwich and not a sandwich.
http://www.eatsauca.com/

(JL posted ahead of me.)

But, it is just different regions take on the same idea.  "hey lets make some delicious shit I can walk around and eat without getting dirty"
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41   Go Up