You take a sandwich and you open it up. It's pretty simple if you think about it.
Agreed. It's a sandwich that has been modified from it's pure sandwich form; hence the required modifier.
I believe that would be more like a calzone.
This is what I thought, too. Paul and I are on the wavelength.
They do make a pizza like this, I can't remember which pizza chain does it, but it's basically a pizza on top of another pizza, and it has a special name. I think that it is sandwich-like in its stuffedness, but still not a sandwich because (a) it's a pizza and (b) it's not intended to be picked up whole and eaten by a single person.
They're firmly in the turnover, pierogi or dumpling family.
Yes! Turnovers. Excellent.
But, it is just different regions take on the same idea. "hey lets make some delicious shit I can walk around and eat without getting dirty"
Yes, that's true. But we have different names for those regional foods -- "wraps" and the like. You don't call a bowl of Pad Thai "spaghetti" just because they both have noodles and sauce, do you?
I think a hotdog is nestled in the bun.
This is gold. Nestled! I love it. But what do we call that category of food? Nests? "Hot dog or sausage on a bun" is awful unwieldy.