Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Ass Sandwich  (Read 85733 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #510 on: June 20, 2012, 06:34:30 pm »

I think a hamburger in a bun is a sandwich because there are two pieces of bread around it. One on top and one on bottom.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #511 on: June 20, 2012, 06:36:00 pm »

Hey, check it out.

I was going to agree with Ash, but like the note in the article - is a grilled cheese sandwich not a sandwich?

Also, returning to my non-sandwich lunch, I ended up not having a vegan lunch because I realized I had an open carton of chicken broth, so I made the couscous with that, and also, I had a big glass of chocolate milk afterward.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #512 on: June 20, 2012, 06:39:11 pm »

If you have to ask if it qualifies as a sandwich, it's not a sandwich.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #513 on: June 20, 2012, 06:54:25 pm »

Tortilla = pita = bread = bun

The key is convenience.  Function.  Sandwiches are meal delivery packets that allow you to eat without utensils or getting your fingers dirty.  Sushi rolls don't qualify, because by design they are eaten with chopsticks.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #514 on: June 20, 2012, 07:07:57 pm »

a grilled cheese is a sandwich. it is a cheese sandwich that has been cooked (though rarely, if ever, actually grilled).
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #515 on: June 20, 2012, 07:13:00 pm »

no, you are supposed to eat Sushi with your hands. so by your definition they are sandwiches. LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #516 on: June 20, 2012, 07:17:15 pm »

seaweed =/= bread
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #517 on: June 20, 2012, 07:30:51 pm »

Wraps, rolls and sushi are not sandwiches, but they belong in the same category of convenience food.

seaweed =/= bread

No, but the rice serves a similar purpose to bread in sandwiches. Onigiri is essentially the Japanese equivalent of the sandwich.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #518 on: June 20, 2012, 07:35:12 pm »

a tortilla is not bread either.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #519 on: June 20, 2012, 08:07:03 pm »

I think we need to add "what is a sandwich" to The List with "pubes, removal of" and "prescriptivism vs. descriptivism"
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #520 on: June 20, 2012, 08:16:08 pm »

Tortilla = pita = bread = bun.

For real.  Also, you can get those "hand sushis" or some shit.  I have never ordered or seen one, but I have made sushi rolls, and it seems like it is just an uncut sushi roll, so that may be a sandwich.  I wouldn't consider eating sushi without massive soy sauce and wasabi, so for me it could never be a sandwich.  If you are eating those hand rolls without sauce all the time then I think sushi would be a sandwich for you.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #521 on: June 20, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »

Tacos?  Definitely a sandwich!

Also, I need to get a job!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #522 on: June 20, 2012, 08:35:05 pm »

No! Tacos are not a sandwich!  A pita is not a sandwich, and sushi is most certainly not a sandwich.  What the fuck are you all thinking?  Walk up to your local Middle Eastern, Mexican or Japanese restaurant and go a head and ask for a sandwich and get the puzzled look you deserve for believing nonsense about food stuffs!

I am throwing down as a sandwich conservative:  Only leavened bread with something between is a sandwich! 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #523 on: June 20, 2012, 08:41:21 pm »

Also, I need to get a job!

I hear food taxonomy is the big, up and coming thing.

I am throwing down as a sandwich conservative:  Only leavened bread with something between is a sandwich! 

So you agree that burgers are sandwiches?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Ass Sandwich
« Reply #524 on: June 20, 2012, 08:49:17 pm »

Troublemaking heathen, you just called it a burger your ownself.

C'mon dogg, 'burger' is just short for 'hamburg steak sandwich'. Hamburgers don't stop being sandwiches just because people don't want to say words.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41   Go Up