Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff  (Read 18670 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:59:23 pm »

Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 01:47:34 pm »

In panel 5 I'm reading Steve as using the same tone of voice as every sad high school kid saying "I have a girl friend but she lives in Canada. You don't know her."
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:02:28 am »

Canadian Girlfriend Unsubstantiated

There was a time in my life when I read The Onion far too often.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 01:50:16 am »

This is exactly what my girlfriend is like.

It's like... "no, you should not be impressed that I can do five pull-ups."
"but I can only do one!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 02:59:51 pm »

This is a lot like being married to Pedro.

He is a cute man, but he gets very sensitive about the fact that he's not good at fixing things (other than computers) and doesn't really like sports. I try to tell him that comic books and video games are manly, but it's hard to convince him of that when I like those things too.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:04:16 pm »

also video arcades and billiards
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 03:37:37 pm »

This is a lot like being married to Pedro.

He is a cute man, but he gets very sensitive about the fact that he's not good at fixing things (other than computers) and doesn't really like sports. I try to tell him that comic books and video games are manly, but it's hard to convince him of that when I like those things too.

Just tell him not to worry his pretty little head about such things.  Tell him the comic books and video games keep him from getting a chill in his ovaries.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 04:40:33 pm »

Just tell him not to worry his pretty little head about such things.  Tell him the comic books and video games keep him from getting a chill in his ovaries.

Usually when he gets really insecure about his lack of masculine hobbies, I remind him that he's a tiger in the sack. That usually helps.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:28:03 pm »

Is it bad that I get Husband Points for just for taking her car to Jiffy Lube?

It's not that I can't do it myself, but we live in an apartment, and only Low people change their oil in a shared parking lot.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 07:33:28 pm »

We take our cars to a Place to get the oil changed, even though we both know how to do it ourselves, because both of us could make more money in the two hours it would take us than it costs to have it done by someone else in half that time.

Making enough money to pay someone else to change your oil is Manly, as it relates to being a Provider.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 07:51:26 pm »

...when he gets really insecure about his lack of masculine hobbies, I remind him that he's a tiger in the sack. That usually helps.

does he have those cares because of his upbringing?  or is it just an idea he built in his own head?




also, despite the silliness of the idea, making a big deal about mating prowess is probably one of, if not the best way to care for a mans fragile ego.(you dont need my acceptance.  i was just thinking out loud...)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 08:02:29 pm »

does he have those cares because of his upbringing?  or is it just an idea he built in his own head?

also, despite the silliness of the idea, making a big deal about mating prowess is probably one of, if not the best way to care for a mans fragile ego.(you dont need my acceptance.  i was just thinking out loud...)

He grew up with a non-handy father, but he compares himself to my dad (who formerly had a general contractor's license) and finds himself wanting. Mostly it comes up when my dad comes over and fixes things around the house for us, and Pedro feels like he's Imposing. At which point I have to say, "How many times have you fixed his computer?"

And yeah, a good snog can fix a lot of problems.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 08:13:09 pm »

i have some similar cares... having chronic emo disorder(depression) and an absentee father are things that dont help a dude to feel like a proper dude, at times.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 09:02:56 pm »

I'm not good at fixing things (especially not computers and cars). I play - in certain phases - a pretty healthy amount of video games (though I can't remember the last time I picked up a comic book). I hover right around "acceptable" in most aspects of bed artistry. I spend a lot of time listening to men with soft voices sing about the weather.

In spite of all this, I feel pretty decently manly. Maybe it's just because I often play and watch ball-and-bat-based sports and cry for an average of five minutes every five years. Maybe it's because I can drink you under the table and sometimes smell like onions.

Maybe I'm deluding myself?
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 23/11/09 - Guy Stuff
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:10 pm »

cry for an average of five minutes every five years

Pedro is a crier, more so than I am, so perhaps this is the root of it all.

But yeah, it's not a constant thing where he's all, "I'm so girly, how can you love me?" all the time. It's more like, occasionally, he tries to hang a picture on the wall and leaves seven holes and still can't get the picture straight and feels like his life is littered with the debris of incompetence.

It happens, like, twice a year, but it still bugs me when he gets like that, is all.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up