I couldn't help but make up a little list of my own. Lists and music are both obsessions of mine, so it basically had to happen. I made a top 100, but I won't subject you all to it. That'll be for my unfortunate facebook friends. Before anybody says anything about the paucity of White Stripes or Yeah Yeah Yeahs entries or whatever, let me say that this is not a "best of" list, per se. These are the albums that changed me in the '00s, whether or not they changed the music world.
20. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
19. Lookaftering - Vashti Bunyan
18. Andrew Bird & the Mysterious Production of Eggs - Andrew Bird
17. All Hail West Texas - The Mountain Goats
16. Chutes Too Narrow - The Shins
15. Two Suns - Bat for Lashes
14. You Are Free - Cat Power
13. Dear Science - TV on the Radio
12. Hail to the Thief - Radiohead
11. Fate - Dr. Dog
10. Kid A - Radiohead
9. Alice - Tom Waits
8. Oh, Inverted World - The Shins
7. i - The Magnetic Fields
6. Want One - Rufus Wainwright
5. The Milk-Eyed Mender - Joanna Newsom
4. Amnesiac - Radiohead
3. Bright Flight - Silver Jews
2. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant - Belle & Sebastian
1. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
In conclusion, I have to say that at the end of the day the '90s were a slightly better decade for music. But I fully realize that this feeling could just be a product of my age (older, more closed-minded, busier so less time to discover new artists). I don't mean to make light of these and many, many others which dropped in the last ten years. There's some life-changing shit in there, for real.