Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: It begins. End of the decade lists  (Read 7892 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 02:55:56 pm »

Ryan Adams' cover of "Wonderwall"--yes.  Much love.  My all-time favorite cover, though, and I honestly am not sure why, is Big Sir's cover of Hall and Oates' "Sara Smile".  I'll add a link if I can find one.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 03:06:07 pm »

My all-time favorite cover, though, and I honestly am not sure why, is Big Sir's cover of Hall and Oates' "Sara Smile". 

Mine is The Mothers of Invention's version of "Happy Together".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 05:53:50 pm »

Mine is The Mothers of Invention's version of "Happy Together".

Yes! The 1971 Fillmore East show where they play that song is really fantastic. That album was actually my first exposure to Zappa.

And I don't know if anyone has heard it but Pink Mountaintop's cover of Atmosphere by Joy Division is really good.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:56:52 pm by Mr Trout »
Logged

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 06:00:55 pm »

Interesting side note which both of you very well may already be aware of: The lead vocalists and founders of The Turtles, Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman, were full time members of The Mothers at that time.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 06:16:52 pm »

Interesting side note which both of you very well may already be aware of: The lead vocalists and founders of The Turtles, Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman, were full time members of The Mothers at that time.

You're so professional, Howie.

I actually got to see Flo and Eddie perform live at an oldies show at the Kentucky State Fair about 15 years ago.  They were hilarious.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 07:00:39 pm »

I almost got pissed that Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page" wasn't on the list, until I realized that it came out in '98 and I'm just old.

[[high-5]]
that was most assuredly a worthy cover.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 11:22:50 pm »

The 30 best cover songs of the decade.
Kind of scraping the bottom of the list barrel topic-wise with that one, but what the hell. They're all fun.

I love Calexico and I love Love, and the former definitely does the latter justice in this case, but they almost do the song too much justice. The first time I heard it I didn't realize it wasn't the original until, like, a minute in. Granted, it was a noisy bar, but still.

Johnny's "Hurt" is definitely pretty important, but more so for the video than the song itself.

Had no idea Gillian Welch did a version of "Black Star." I can imagine it working pretty well.

I'm not sure what's more tragic - the fact that Rufus Wainwright's version of "Hallelujah" (which basically outdoes even Cohen's original) is nowhere to be found or the fact that Brandy Carlile's version even exists.

The inclusion of Cat Power and Seu Jorge put my mind at ease, even if they are both far too low.

Nick Cave's take on "Let It Be," while not earth-shattering or anything, definitely deserves a spot near the bottom.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 12:28:48 am »

Johnny's "Hurt" is definitely pretty important, but more so for the video than the song itself.

Oh, phooey on you for making me watch that. SO depressing. Death and old age and life sucks.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 06:45:40 am »

Rowboat-- holy FUCK is "Fate" good. I keep meaning to post my favorites-of-the-decade list, it is coming soon.

But oh my GOD Fate. is such good album. Why hadn't I heard of Dr Dog until this year? I saw them live and it was AWESOME.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 06:55:05 am »

When you saw them did Jeffrey Lewis open? He is my favorite guy to see live.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 07:24:50 am »

oh, man. wow.

I think the consensus between my roommate and girlfriend and I was...

I keep typing out really mean things here.
I guess I will say, we did not have anything nice to say about him.

I think my roommate said something like "maybe indie music wasn't such a good idea after all."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 01:37:26 pm »

Hey it's no big deal. If a person takes great offense that someone else doesn't like the same bands they do, they probably need to grow some thicker skin.

Also, I think he may very well be the least attractive musician I have ever seen.







p.p.s. I left halfway through the Dr. Dog set because I thought they were acting like a bunch of douches.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:46:55 pm by Mr Trout »
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 09:30:45 pm »

best beards of 2009 according to spin magazine
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 03:20:57 am »

best beards of 2009 according to spin magazine

Man, I don't know.  That's basically "Here's a bunch of dudes with beards."  For the most part, I don't see anything all that exceptional.

Except that Warren Ellis cat.  Now that's a scary-ass beard.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: It begins. End of the decade lists
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 04:51:03 am »

well, its spin magazine, so they basically just pick random indie-rock dudes.  i mean, there arent many other options because real famous people tend to shave or sculpt their facial hair regularly.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up