Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Bread from Starters  (Read 12122 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 05:19:55 am »

My favorite restaurant is an Ethiopian place, fwiw. I don't think they have rice or kebabs or pasta.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2009, 06:32:46 am »

My favorite restaurant is an Ethiopian place, fwiw. I don't think they have rice or kebabs or pasta.


I have never seen kebabs at an Ethiopian place. Rice is more of an Eritrean thing, I think. Pasta is pretty big, actually. Thanks, Mussolini. Though noodles tossed in awaze is pretty rad.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 02:44:58 pm »


I have never seen kebabs at an Ethiopian place. Rice is more of an Eritrean thing, I think. Pasta is pretty big, actually. Thanks, Mussolini. Though noodles tossed in awaze is pretty rad.

I always found it strange that near me there's an Ethiopian place across the street from an Eritrean place. Any friends I've asked about Eritrean have said, "it's like Ethiopian so you wouldn't like it."
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 07:56:33 pm »

Is there a Djiboutian place around the corner?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 08:06:22 pm »


I have never seen kebabs at an Ethiopian place. Rice is more of an Eritrean thing, I think. Pasta is pretty big, actually. Thanks, Mussolini. Though noodles tossed in awaze is pretty rad.
Yeah, neither have I. I was responding to A-CAP's silly comment earlier in the thread.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 08:49:34 pm »

I always found it strange that near me there's an Ethiopian place across the street from an Eritrean place. Any friends I've asked about Eritrean have said, "it's like Ethiopian so you wouldn't like it."

I wish we had this much variety in African cuisine. In my neighborhood there is an Ethiopian place down the block from an Ethiopian place around the corner from an Ethiopian place, which doesn't even include the other two Ethiopian places.

I have never seen an Eritrean restaurant. If it is like Ethiopian but with rice, this sounds like a good thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 01:05:19 am »

womb@, have you gone to the Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore? I went there a year ago with my really good friend who lives there, and it was awesome.

I think I am visiting her over holiday break, I am really excited. She works at the Baltimore NPR station.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 01:26:10 am »

I used to live about a block and a half from the WYPR station. Also in a 3 block radius: 4 methadone clinics, an underground gay leather bar, a korean restaurant that will sometimes let you smoke inside and will serve you booze at 4am, and the usual handful of Baltimore tranny hookers.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 03:20:13 am »

I have been meaning to go to the visionary art museum for, like, years now.

For several months I drove to Baltimore five days a week to go to work, you'd think I could get there on a weekend once every few years or so to see a museum, but apparently not.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 03:23:19 am »

I used to live about a block and a half from the WYPR station. Also in a 3 block radius: 4 methadone clinics, an underground gay leather bar, a korean restaurant that will sometimes let you smoke inside and will serve you booze at 4am, and the usual handful of Baltimore tranny hookers.

Now that's a neighborhood.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 03:59:13 am »

I bet it was really nice before Mr. Trout moved in.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 06:08:20 am »

I bet it was really nice before Mr. Trout moved in.

totes.  all his rowdy friends, etc...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 01:49:17 am »

the missus bakes a bread from this recipe (i gave her the book for ...her birthday maybe? she asked for it). it's damn tasty, and really easy, no starter needed.
So I made this today. Really tasty.

Quote
2. Bake at this point or refrigerate, covered, for as long as two weeks. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife. Turn dough in hands to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy bottom. Put dough on pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.
This part, though. At this point the dough had risen a ton and, as it says earlier in the recipe, was quite loose. It was so thin/soupy that I wondered if I had messed up the flour/water ratio. I punched it down to try to make it a little thicker. There wasn't going to be any cutting with a knife--I should've just poured some dough into a pan (I didn't have a stone so I was using the alternate baking method) to avoid getting my (floured) hands covered in wet gunk. Why so runny, bread bakers? What am I doing wrong?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 02:00:21 am »

Quote
used to live about a block and a half from the WYPR station.

Whoa, she lives like that far from the station, too. i was in your old neighborhood.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Bread from Starters
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 03:55:02 am »

This is the only place on the internet where Ethiopian food can be discussed sincerely and with a straight face. I'm proud of everyone here for not making that joke.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up