Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Holiday Music  (Read 10668 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 05:36:51 am »

Well played.  I had a coworker from Italy named Andreas who was neither female nor plural.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 10:47:55 pm »

Well played.  I had a coworker from Italy named Andreas who was neither female nor plural.

strange name for a dude?  alexis.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 11:53:27 pm »

wait, no one has mentioned the greatest xmas album of all time: the Charlie Brown christmas album. So good that I want to die/cry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 12:04:50 am »

wait, no one has mentioned the greatest xmas album of all time: the Charlie Brown christmas album. So good that I want to die/cry.

Here I was not participating because I hate all Christmas music, and here you've gone and found an exception that completely slipped my mind. Now I need to go find this.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 02:13:15 am »

This has been in my head all day long.   At first I was a little dubious about the idea of a Bob Dylan Christmas album, but then I figured, hey, if Irving Berlin can do it, why can't Bob?

I love the way he says "Ho Ho Ho".  Actually, I pretty much love the whole dang song.  You go Bob Dylan.  You rock on with your bad self.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 03:03:28 am »

ok, seriously.
this song makes me want to cry.
this song was enough of a part of my childhood that I wonder if maybe the reason I think Chrismastime is sad is because of this song.

mostly it brings up childhood memories of crying the day after christmas when all of my relatives left my house. I normally only see them once a year, and I would be so overstimulated for a few days while my house was full of yelling kids and grandparents who wanted me to tell them about everything I knew and nobody had work and presents and food and then, suddenly everyone was gone, and everything felt horrible. All of the anticipation was gone and I was lonely in my house with presents that didn't look like they did on the box.

Since college my christmas-time song has been this one, though. It reminds me of a time freshman year when it snowed, and I got off the phone with my long-distance girlfriend, telling her about how cold and horrible it was, and then listened to this song on the way to the library to study for a final.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 04:01:25 am »

I really love this song.  I think it's primarily the melody that gets me, but it really gets me in the gut when he sings "please no more list, send no more gifts."  Dang, Brian Wilson still wields a lot of magic.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 12:08:13 am »

I hate them all except for Nat King Cole.  "The Christmas Song" and "O Holy Night" FTW.  (when did I become 75 years old?)

My xmas music collection consists of a Nat King Cole CD, a few others from like Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra, and this:

wait, no one has mentioned the greatest xmas album of all time: the Charlie Brown christmas album. So good that I want to die/cry.

This doesn't make you old, bluemoon, but classy.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 02:52:19 am »

My xmas music collection consists of a Nat King Cole CD, a few others from like Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra, and this:

This doesn't make you old, bluemoon, but classy.

I was shamed when Inev mentioned Vince Guaraldi's CD, because that is equally as good as King Cole's.  I pretty much have those two plus a couple of Bing songs on my iPod, and that is truly Christmas to me.  A toast to the classics, miles and Inev!
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 06:14:07 am »

no christmas music collection is complete without a little esquivel

frosty the snowman adds a batusi flavor that is the foam to your party's macchiato
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 06:27:58 am »

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 12:01:46 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qBoy2rhVw

Man, what was with all the inappropriate laughter from the crowd on that?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 04:02:00 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qBoy2rhVw

A can for that, sir. Now I feel christmasy, in that way that makes you pour another glass of whiskey.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 04:10:43 am »

I wanted to write a whole album of electronic christmas music, but I only really finished one song last year, O Holy Night.  It's basically the only song on my myspace, www.myspace.com/acidlung
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Music
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 02:10:18 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up