Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice Cold Water  (Read 11915 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 06:14:07 pm »

Every time my roommate has guests over she always has to replenish my soda stock. She's always legitimately surprised that her guests would rather drink my cold Pepsis than her warm Cokes.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 10:48:28 pm »

When we remodeled the kitchen we got a fridge with a filtered water dispenser inside. I insisted that this was a needless complication but everyone said I would come to love it. The water that comes out is ice cold. As it turns out, 90% of the year, I drink the room temperature water out of the Brita pitcher on the countertop instead.

Someday soon, I will have a fridge that dispenses ice cold, filtered water. That is awesome.

Also, yes jaydub, I also complain when I get a movie theater bev that's 99% ice and 1% soda. However, when I pour myself a drink I want as much ice as possible. I'll accept the continual refills at home in exchange for icy cold goodness. I have noticed that ice is a pretty important issue when it comes to drinks. My brother in law, for example, got offended when I started mixing rum & cokes for everybody with my customary amount of ice. He only wants 2 ice cubes in his drink, ever.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 01:44:58 am »

I haven't drank in at least 5 months, but i remember that there is a huge difference between drinks and drinks, you know.

I agree completely with your home/out ice strategy, but when it comes to liquor or mixed drinks 2-3 ice cubes max.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 02:55:06 am »

sometimes when I drink mixed drinks I overdo it on the ice, as a way of watering it down... and then slowly use less and less ice over time to ease myself into drinking big-boy drinks.

I find that gin and tonic, though, just needs a lot of ice to taste right, and be cold enough.


ice water though, that is some good shit. yeahhh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 05:49:43 am »

when i've gone a few days without a coke, i pop the can and guzzle down about a third of it, and i cry a little.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Bobby have you Seen This One?
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 12:41:53 pm »

That is supposedly how tea was discovered. The Emperor of China was having a walk around his garden with a cup of hot water, and a tea leaf dropped into his cup, and instead of pouring out the now-brown water, he decided to drink it anyway. Good man.

I have never got into the habit of tea, although I take it here and there, and support it aesthetically. Reading Pearl S. Buck's "The Good Earth" (by the way, stop what you're doing and go read it now) I was made aware that to the poor peasants of China, "tea" meant hot boiled water with (few, few) leaves thrown into it. When the young Wang Lung throws one or two fuck*ng LEAVES too many into his bowl, his father scolds him saying someting like "What, you impudent fool, do you think you are rich?". An eye-opener (did you see what I did here), if nothing else...

Apparently the bedouins are fond of hot water, too? Like, you would think they would prefer some ICE COLD WATER, but they drink it hot so as to equalize their inner temperature with the outer? Bobby, where the fuck are you?

BTW: For the next TOUAMBIEs, a suggest a new category: "best thread out of the thinnest of premises"...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:29:58 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 03:27:47 pm »

Quote
BTW: For the next TOUAMBIEs, a suggest a new category: "best thread out of the thinnest of premises"...
Best tea with the fewest leaves.

everyone on both sides of my family are tea drinkers, and I didn't realize that this is rare until college. People act like this means I am from another planet.
Actually it's just a thing where like, south americans like tea, and irish people like tea, and they continued drinking tea when they moved here.

now I am trying to think about whether it is a stereotype that these groups drink tea. maybe I am making up a fake stereotype to justify what I know, which is that my family members all drink tea and not coffee.

I know my grandparents still have Tea Time and invite people over and stuff, so it is definitely a Chilean thing to drink tea.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:50:23 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 04:06:57 pm »

yerba maté is super popular in south america, i wish i could find some good maté; up here in atlanta. i would drink that instead of coffee and coke.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 05:00:08 pm »

If you're in Atlanta, you're probably legally required to drink Coke.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 05:42:48 pm »

let's just say i don't go to the rare places that serve pepsi
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »

Down here we have a "Pepsi Twist" which is pretty good. But regular Pepsi is hella crass here for some reason.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 08:50:31 pm »

No, that is just Pepsi.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 09:22:11 pm »

let's just say i don't go to the rare places that serve pepsi

Is there a coke mafia that enforces this?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 05:33:29 am »

yerba maté is super popular in south america, i wish i could find some good maté; up here in atlanta. i would drink that instead of coffee and coke.

See if you can find a south american or Latino grocery store in Atlanta. They might have some in bulk that you can buy. They probably have bombillas too, but if you can't find them they are sold at Whole Foods too. Or you could just buy a teaball and brew it like that. You can also make yerba mate shots with an espresso machine.

The best and cheapest way if you don't have a grocer around is to order yerba mate on the internets. I keep planning to do it...our grocery store here sells a box of 25 yerba mate teabags for $8.99. I buy them anyway.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cold Water
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 05:48:31 am »

then i am going to whole foods on payday.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up