Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Anticipation II: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 11894 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2003, 01:57:40 am »

Quote from: "slink"
As someone who's sugar intake is probably somewhere in the realms of a few micrograms a month, sweet tea sounds absolutely foul!
Thanks for letting me know (though I wouldn't anyway) not to choose sweetend when ordering iced tea there!


Only works, more or less, in the south or in places where the theme is Southern. Everywhere else, you have to try to get granulated sugar to dissolve in cold tea with ice in it. Which, basically, defies everything I almost learned in chemistry in high school. So you are faced with the question: oversweetened tea? or bitter tea with a pile of sugar sulking at the bottom of the glass?

Your call.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2003, 02:04:15 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
So you are faced with the question: oversweetened tea? or bitter tea with a pile of sugar sulking at the bottom of the glass?

Your call.


My call? Bitter tea with a pile of sugar on the table.
I really don't understand it but I can't stand sugar.
It kind of screws me up in the same way as caffeine started to do as well. And alcohol. I had one glass of wine the other night, and my brain started up with this kind of, internal hallucination:
Russian bears in pink frocks, dancing around jazz hands style, singing about venerable Welsh women wearing expensive jewelry.
For no good reason.
It was horrible.
I don't even know if I can drink whisky anymore, and that thought is scary.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2003, 02:38:39 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Which, basically, defies everything I almost learned in chemistry in high school. So you are faced with the question: oversweetened tea? or bitter tea with a pile of sugar sulking at the bottom of the glass?


Heat it up, so it'll have a higher saturation point, add the sugar until no more will dissolve, and when it cools down it'll be supersaturated, but the sugar will still be dissolved in it.  

Now that's high school chemistry at work.  And I speak as a participant in the crystal-growing contest.  Ohh yeah.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2003, 08:55:07 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Which, basically, defies everything I almost learned in chemistry in high school. So you are faced with the question: oversweetened tea? or bitter tea with a pile of sugar sulking at the bottom of the glass?


Heat it up, so it'll have a higher saturation point, add the sugar until no more will dissolve, and when it cools down it'll be supersaturated, but the sugar will still be dissolved in it.  

Now that's high school chemistry at work.  And I speak as a participant in the crystal-growing contest.  Ohh yeah.


Since I'm referring to ordering either 'iced tea' or 'sweet tea' in a food-service sort of setting, that would require carrying a hot plate or immersion heater with me, which I almost never do....but  When I make my own tea, it's real, brewed tea, sweetened to a reasonable level, and poured over ice.  Add lemon and serve. Add no sugar for venerably impoverished gentility.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2003, 01:44:19 pm »

Sometimes when I"m visiting relatives up North, I order a cup of hot tea and a glass of ice.  You can make passably good sweet tea on a per-serving basis this way, but it's inclined to be weak (on account of all the ice) and it's a lot of work for a non-alcoholic beverage.  

Still, sometimes it's worth it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2003, 02:14:30 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a friend in high school who swore by Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew. I always sort of wondered what the point was...


That would be the soda equivalent of alcohol free beer.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2003, 02:42:58 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a friend in high school who swore by Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew. I always sort of wondered what the point was...


That would be the soda equivalent of alcohol free beer.

~Paul


In hell, these are the things you wash your fat-free Twinkies down with.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2003, 03:15:29 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

In hell, these are the things you wash your fat-free Twinkies down with.


You know I actually feel bad about the fact I have never had a Twinkie.
I keep trying to get my friends to bring me one back whenever they visit the States, but to no avail.

Damn. I was trying to find a link to the particularly embarrassing looking dog hotel that's just opened in North Carolina, but that too, to no avail. They give each dog a TV!! I mean... come on!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2003, 03:54:42 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a friend in high school who swore by Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew. I always sort of wondered what the point was...


That would be the soda equivalent of alcohol free beer.

~Paul


Wouldn't that just be yellow #5 and water? And of course the crippling flavor of aspertame.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2003, 06:26:16 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Damn. I was trying to find a link to the particularly embarrassing looking dog hotel that's just opened in North Carolina, but that too, to no avail. They give each dog a TV!! I mean... come on!


People in my state build things like that so the out-of-state idiots can come to it and leave their money.  It's what our president calls trrism.  He's against it for some reason.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2003, 07:05:33 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

People in my state build things like that so the out-of-state idiots can come to it and leave their money.


Ah yes, the rich-out-of-state idiots no less.
They're a good dollar.
Ugh did I just say that?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2003, 07:38:21 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a friend in high school who swore by Caffeine-Free Diet Mountain Dew. I always sort of wondered what the point was...

Wouldn't that just be yellow #5 and water? And of course the crippling flavor of aspertame.

More or less, and there's presumably also whatever "flavor" ("lemon-lime?" "fruit?" "human liver?") Mountain Dew has. I simply cannot entirely parse why one would drink Mountain Dew for the flavor; I can buy it for Coke (I mostly drink Coke for the actual taste) and other sodas, but drinking Mountain Dew for the flavor strikes me as being like drinking Bud Light for its rich bouquet of taste sensations.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2003, 08:06:15 pm »

The only flavor I know for sure in Mountain Dew is orange juice but I actually do like the taste. I tend to mix it into my usual pattern of Pepsis and Cherry Cokes for a change now and then. Or when I'm tired. Although lately I've been drinking Sprite at lunch. But that's mainly because fountain Coke is even worse than canned Coke.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2003, 08:10:04 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
More or less, and there's presumably also whatever "flavor" ("lemon-lime?" "fruit?" "human liver?") Mountain Dew has. I simply cannot entirely parse why one would drink Mountain Dew for the flavor; I can buy it for Coke (I mostly drink Coke for the actual taste) and other sodas, but drinking Mountain Dew for the flavor strikes me as being like drinking Bud Light for its rich bouquet of taste sensations.


CEASE YOUR BLASPHEMIES THIS INSTANT, VILE WOMAN!!!

'course I gotta agree with you on the Bud Light thing, though...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2003, 08:25:11 pm »

I like the flavour of Mount 'n Do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up