Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND  (Read 22572 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2010, 09:02:08 pm »

Appropos of nothing, my absolute favourite part of the trolling cycle is that brief period where the troll pretends to kind of start changing his ways and become a part of the community so that his next volley of vitriol is more effective and the more gullible about are "shocked" by the "betrayal".

At a certain point for me, I guess, the obvious can become SO obvious that is spins the dial and becomes fascinating.

ALSO: my favourite part of the life cycle of water is when evaporated water becomes clouds.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2010, 09:08:21 pm »


The blackhat/b-tard/H4X0R TH3 PL4N3+ types do not believe that the Intertrons count as your living room. After all, your entryway to the Intertubes is connected to their entryway. As far as they are concerned, the Internet is a giant easement and therefore should be considered shared property.


     I've never understood the free speech argument on the internet, when your free speech is speechifying at the pleasure of someone else's resources.   Certainly the tubes ARE easements, and I think Free Speech in the tube is important.  
     This is a conflict to what I just said however, in the infrastructure is owned by the big backbone carriers.   It's different though as they're in the infrastructure business.  It's a similar analog to the telephone, wherein they make money providing those tubes to people regardless of their content as long as it isn't abusive or destructive to the other users of their infrastructure.
     When we get to all of these end nodes of the internet however, they're owned and operated by private citizens.   I see no obligation to users to provide privacy, free speech, or access.   We're all here on someone's good graces, and should expect to see that ended at any moment on nothing more than a whim, or even a whimsy.  "HEY!  TODAY I'M GOING TO DELETE ALL USERS THAT HAVE A D IN THEIR ACCOUNT NAME!" is a just FINE activity.
     Certainly that wouldn't be conducive to a pleasant environment for discourse, but... you're know OWED anything and are free to go find a better place at any moment.   There's a lot of entitlement in people on the internet.   Mostly when I see the phrase "free speech" coming out of anyone it just comes off bratty.   "I CAN DO WHAT I WANT!  I'M AN ADULT!  IT'S A FREE COUNTRY!"

     For certain, all the bantown/b-tard/Already In Use folks are FREE to do their performance art.   Just not necessarily here.  Dreamhost has very reasonable rates.   You're free to put up a server there for as long as they'll have you.

Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2010, 09:10:01 pm »

hey LFM, Did you know Kurt Vonnegut was a hack and that socialism was invented by satan? You should read some stuff by Ayn Rand, she is an author with some good ideas and none of them are wrong. We should lower taxes on rich people so they can make more jobs for poor people.


Ahh... I cant even pretend to do that anymore. Ive lost my edge.

Also, smick, he did start up another achewood message board somewhere and it had like 2 users. I forget what the link was.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:15:58 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2010, 09:21:21 pm »

Also, smick, he did start up another achewood message board somewhere and it had like 2 users. I forget what the link was.

Smells like... freedom.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2010, 10:06:43 pm »

Two words: Lulz.

I guess I'm old, too, but I yearn for the simple days when things were done for the jazz, or possibly for the kids.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2010, 10:25:20 pm »

hot-cha-cha-cha-cha!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2010, 12:03:42 am »

hey LFM, Did you know Kurt Vonnegut was a hack and that socialism was invented by satan? You should read some stuff by Ayn Rand, she is an author with some good ideas and none of them are wrong. We should lower taxes on rich people so they can make more jobs for poor people.


Ahh... I cant even pretend to do that anymore. Ive lost my edge.


Aw, that is the saddest thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2010, 12:15:57 am »

I guess I'm old, too, but I yearn for the simple days when things were done for the jazz, or possibly for the kids.

When I'm not sure about something, I proclaim that I will do it for SCIENCE.

On an unrelated note: Friday evening, I adjusted the bindings in my rental snow board, and then proceeded to zip down the mountain, and cram my face and shoulder into the ground.   I swore I had broken my collar bone... for science. 

I didn't, but man, I've never heard my body make those kinds of crunchy noises.   I've noted it in my log book.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2010, 01:15:42 am »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2010, 01:40:24 am »

holy batman batman

did we get an discussion going here or what.

okay, I wasn't actually being sarcastic, well kinda in a way I was.  In an auspie way.  I can man up to that.

As for the freedom of speech arguments... as for the fact that it's a private server... *shrug*  yeah in theory you can make that argument, but it's just not a good argument, because for whatever reason, if people congregate in a place, say the town pub, and the town pub is private, and then the pub owner decides he's not going to allow any black people in, or anyone who has this or that idea...  it's the same thing.  When you limit free speech - even on private property - there is a line that can be crossed where it's to the detriment of society...  does that line apply in my case?  Probably not, because like the patrons who are too blind and uneducated to see the harm in not allowing black people to socialize with them, you guys are probably all too close minded for my radiant sunshine of ideas to make a difference for y'all.

as for the borg, no bobby, we're not borg yet.  this web 2.0 sh1t ain't borgish.  we're about to become borged, however.  I estimate sometime in the next 5 years tops.  if that will lead to more peace or more war, it's hard to say...  it will simply exponentially increase the rate with which our culture evolves... or devolves, as the case may be.

ALSO: my favourite part of the life cycle of water is when evaporated water becomes clouds.

water can not be said to be alive except perhaps if you are referring to the interesting things that happen during phase transitions, e.g. at the transition from stable liquid to chaotic boiling, the water spontaneously organizes it's self into beehive-like hexagons... if you heat a shallow pan of water on the stove gradually you can maybe reproduce this.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2010, 01:44:02 am »

I've been thrown out of drinking establishments for arguing with bartenders, stealing drinks and passing out. Fuck that noise.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2010, 01:52:34 am »

I've been thrown out of drinking establishments for arguing with bartenders, stealing drinks and passing out. Fuck that noise.

yes and there were times and places where you would get thrown out for bein' black.

just because you aren't aware that you harbor any ridiculous prejudices doesn't prove that you don't. 
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2010, 01:53:53 am »

The Force is in the water, man, and it is alive in that sense.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2010, 01:59:17 am »

hold your hand up to this topic, press your hand against the screen (not too hard if you have an LCD) and you will be healed!!!

also I need you to donate some money to my paypal account...
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: ACHEWOOD AND TOUAMB AND
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2010, 02:22:24 am »

Quote
As for the freedom of speech arguments... as for the fact that it's a private server... *shrug*  yeah in theory you can make that argument, but it's just not a good argument

SCOTUS would disagree with you.

just because you aren't aware that you harbor any ridiculous prejudices doesn't prove that you don't. 

You're absolutely right.  I have a ridiculous prejudice against obnoxious people.  For some reason, I don't like people who intentionally annoy me.  Go figure. 

Are you seriously arguing that we should overcome our prejudices and like people who are jerks to us?  Because I'd be happy to come and punch you in the throat so we can be bestest friends.



I don't know dude.  What the fuck do you want from this interaction, anyway?
 
I mean, we have a little community here.  Perhaps it's not all that great, but those of who hang here enjoy it.

As with any community, we have our culture, norms and mores.  What I want to know is this:  Do you want to be a member of our community or are you just here to heckle us? 

If you want to be a part, we can probably work something out.  However, becoming a member of the community means accepting our culture, norms and mores.  If you want to be a member of the Water Buffalo Lodge, you have to take the Water Buffalo oath and live by the Water Buffalo bylaws.  Nobody's forcing you.  But don't be surprised if you're not welcome in the Water Buffalo clubhouse if you won't.

If you just want to make fun of our fezzes, I guess that's OK too.  But if all you can contribute is scorn you should expect us to ignore the ever loving shit out of you.

So what is it?  Are you on the bus or off the bus?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up