Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo  (Read 7454 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 10:04:40 pm »

About a year ago, the FDA apparently decided that you couldn't give cold medicines to kids anymore.  I think this was because a limited number of fuckheads gave their kids too much medicine, because they were too stupid to read the label, and thus they ruined it for the rest of us.  So anyway, when one of the kids was sick a while back I was looking for cold medicine, and they were all like "Do not give to children under 6!"  The only one that said it was safe for little kids was some homeopathic stuff, so I bought it, despite not really knowing what that meant.

Littley got sick this month, and I tried to give her some of this stuff, and she said it tastes terrible.  I looked at the label, and it contains a bunch of stuff that doesn't sound like any cold medicine I've ever seen before.  After reading this thread, I'm thinking I might go home and throw that shit away.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 10:08:52 pm »

If she's got a cough, this is what worked for my baby girl to help her sleep at night:

4 oz. apple juice
4 oz. H2O
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

She loved the stuff and drank it down like candy. If your littlun is past the age where you water down her juice, you can just use 8 oz of straight-up juice instead. Add a teaspoon of brandy if you feel comfortable with that. (I didn't, but my grandmother swore by it.) Not homeopathic, but a nice old-fashioned home remedy that won't hurt their little brains (especially if you leave out the booze.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 10:19:37 pm »

If she's got a cough, this is what worked for my baby girl to help her sleep at night:

4 oz. apple juice
4 oz. H2O
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

She loved the stuff and drank it down like candy. If your littlun is past the age where you water down her juice, you can just use 8 oz of straight-up juice instead. Add a teaspoon of brandy if you feel comfortable with that. (I didn't, but my grandmother swore by it.) Not homeopathic, but a nice old-fashioned home remedy that won't hurt their little brains (especially if you leave out the booze.)
Add some cloves, cinnamon, and bunch of gin and you have my signature winter drink.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 10:51:18 pm »

That's where not even a damn molecule of the dick touches you.
That's the kind I get then.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 11:25:38 pm »

Add some cloves, cinnamon, and bunch of gin and you have my signature winter drink.

Gin?  Really?  I could see Rum, Brandy or maybe even some sort of whiskey, but gin just seems like it would clash.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ryabovsky

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10
  • bool DisagreementBox(bool a) {a = true; return a;}
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 02:43:28 am »

Pretty much the definition of a winter drink is "that sounds nasty."
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 06:03:53 am »

That's where not even a damn molecule of the dick touches you.

Hahahaha oh god that is so hell of canned.

That's the kind I get then.

Man. My condolences.
Logged

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 07:47:57 am »

when I was a kid I found that eating red (blue?) grapes always relieved a sore throat when I had a cold.  I also found grape juice made from said grapes to have the same effect.

what works best however in my experience is zinc gluconate losanges.  Not the coldeze brand crap, but the stuff that comes in a bottle of 50 for $7 or whatever, sold in some but not all pharmacies.  NOW brand sells them, available online as well.  nowfoods.com lists local distributors.  Of course you're not supposed to give small kids too much zinc.  That's probably just paranoia.  This from the same government that shuts down an airport and delays air travel in the whole world and charges a guy with murder when he simply pushes open the wrong door by accident.  Ya know.  Anyway, I recommend the zinc gluconate.  sore throats used to be quite a painful distraction for me, now with zinc gluconate, my suffering is vastly reduced.

yeah... homeopathy is a good part of the multi-billion (trillion?) dollar world-wide medical fraud industry.  L Ron hubbard was a big proponent of it, and I believe the scientologists continue to push the idea (along with their assortment of other idiotic ideas.)  Although, I fail to see the difference between the credibility of the beliefs of scientology and christianity, except for the scientologists are better organized and more secretive about their beliefs... you have to get promoted to higher and higher levels in the organization to learn more and more about the religion...  Scientologists are like the Microsoft of organized religion...  "create a need... then fill that need..." 


Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »

when I was a kid I found that eating red (blue?) grapes always relieved a sore throat when I had a cold.  I also found grape juice made from said grapes to have the same effect.



The pectin from the grapes, which is also present to some degree in the juice, creates a jelly-like coating to coat and thus prevent further irritation. Should you want to relieve a sore throat with pectin, the best source as used in traditional middle eastern medicine is the seed of the quince. Quince seeds and skins have a ridiculous amount of pectin; suck on them (under your tongue, as if it were a hard candy) and sore throats are resolved quite quickly.

Here, though, we see traditional medicine as a trial-and-error discovery of something with a solid, testable scientific underpinning. Homeopathy, on the other hand, as you intimate, is a giant steaming load of crap.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »

Although, I fail to see the difference between the credibility of the beliefs of scientology and christianity, except for the scientologists are better organized and more secretive about their beliefs... you have to get promoted to higher and higher levels in the organization to learn more and more about the religion...  Scientologists are like the Microsoft of organized religion...  "create a need... then fill that need..." 

if you have millions, you can really go places in scientology.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 12:01:22 am »

I tend to get conflicted about alternative, or traditional, medicine. On the one hand anything you can use that helps you feel better (as long as it's not bankrupting you) is a good tool and should be used.
On the other hand the people dispensing it will often take the opportunity to bash the pharmaco-industrial complex, imply that hundreds of years of scientific inquiry amount to basically wild guessing and next thing you know AIDs patients don't want to take their anti-retrovirals while they're pregnant and you have some poor kid born with nothing but horrible options which could have been avoided.
I think both sides should keep and open mind and not be assholes is what I'm saying. And also be able to back up their claims.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 01:29:53 am »

Tim Minchin has some things to say about alternative medicine, and the lifestyle surrounding it.


"Alternative" medicine is produced and used by people who are well-meaning but sadly deluded at best, and knowing purveyors of potentially lethal fraud at worst.

Much like religion, really.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 01:55:40 am »

I tend to get conflicted about alternative, or traditional, medicine. On the one hand anything you can use that helps you feel better (as long as it's not bankrupting you) is a good tool and should be used.
On the other hand the people dispensing it will often take the opportunity to bash the pharmaco-industrial complex, imply that hundreds of years of scientific inquiry amount to basically wild guessing and next thing you know AIDs patients don't want to take their anti-retrovirals while they're pregnant and you have some poor kid born with nothing but horrible options which could have been avoided.
I think both sides should keep and open mind and not be assholes is what I'm saying. And also be able to back up their claims.

My favorites are the people who end up with dead kids because they're afraid that vaccinations are going to give their toddlers autism.

I love those guys. Love them so much I want to shoot them in the eye.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 05:42:19 am »

the ones I love are the ones who end up making other people's kids have diseases because they won't inoculate their kids.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 06:02:57 am »

the ones I love are the ones who end up making other people's kids have diseases because they won't inoculate their kids.

So much this.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up