Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad  (Read 20557 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2010, 06:28:32 am »

Oh yeah, no worries. I've been to this rodeo enough times to know not to buy the first iteration. Besides I don't have the money for it at the moment.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2010, 06:57:29 am »

What this idea needs to do is
1) Replace textbooks
2) Replace notepads

#1 seems relatively straightforward at this point.  I think what #2 will require is handwriting recognition, and something like a word processing app so you can mark up your notes, link key ideas to resources, photos, etc.  I don't think the software exists to do it yet, which seems weird to me.  Note taking (for me) doesn't work well with typing.  I'm a fast typist - that's not the problem - but its not like dictation.  Its nonlinear and associative.  Its Random Access, to borrow a concept, with respect to the work surface.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2010, 06:59:01 am »

I agree with AC there.  

Like the dude was speculating in the interview I posted above, by the end of the year there may well be a web cam.

Apple price points are a form of usury.  

I don't know if it's still the case, but for a while, when you priced out a macbook on the apple store web site, if you chose the black macbook instead of the white macbook, it was an extra $100.  An extra $100 for the same computer with the same options, but in a different color.  WTF is that?!  It was pretty funny, because they had the price of this particular feature obfuscated by bundling it with other features as an "upgrade package," yet at the same time, you could independently select all the features (except the black color) of the upgrade package independently and you wound up with the exact same computer in white instead of black, for $100 less.  

So is Apple withholding features on this thing?  Absolutely.  Is that innovation?  It kind of seems like the anti-thesis to innovation.

Personally I'll wait for Google to come out with a tablet.  

also, I thought that interview was pretty funny.  These dudes discussing this ipad thing as if it were something, of great import.  I mean, there isn't more important stuff going on in the world to talk about? 

Sadly, the ipad is like... kind of a big deal, in terms of innovation.   It's sad that there's only one company on the face of the earth that can innovate.  WTF is up with that?  I mean, Apple brought us the damn GUI for christ sakes.  Since 1984 we been using Apple technology.  Even if you use Windows, you're using Apple technology.

Yeah okay it was Xerox technology, but that's exactly the point I'm making here.  Xerox couldn't hack it.  Xerox had all this innovation handed to them on a silver platter, and Xerox execs had no idea what to do with it.  There only ONE company that's ever done much in the way of innovation when it comes to the consumer experience of personal computers, and that's Apple.  WTF. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:03:33 am by Thomas Pain »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2010, 07:08:13 am »

What this idea needs to do is
1) Replace textbooks
2) Replace notepads

#1 seems relatively straightforward at this point.  I think what #2 will require is handwriting recognition, and something like a word processing app so you can mark up your notes, link key ideas to resources, photos, etc.  I don't think the software exists to do it yet, which seems weird to me.  Note taking (for me) doesn't work well with typing.  I'm a fast typist - that's not the problem - but its not like dictation.  Its nonlinear and associative.  Its Random Access, to borrow a concept, with respect to the work surface.

As for 2, I know people who annotate their pdf notes at uni on their laptops and you can draw onto them, put a tablet into the mix and that's as good as paper note taking. I haven't seen writing on a tablet that was decent enough resolution to actually replace pen and paper though.
But yeah, this is basically what I'd want to see it used for.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »

I put hands on one yesterday.   The screen is prettier than what was in my head.   Crisp, deep colors.

It doesn't solve any life problems for me though, that exist between my cellphone and a laptop.
Logged

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: iPad
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2010, 08:13:34 am »

http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/05/trouble-in-paradise-ipad-users-complain-of-wifi-issues/

How much more cadmium and lithium and petroleum and this and that and carbon and carbon and

does the world need? 

can the world sustain?

If we were trying to conserve resources, we might have less redundancy.. e.g. there might be a simple cell-phone add-on card for your ipad, complete with bluetooth speaker/receiver because obviously who wants to hold an ipad to their face while talking or driving.  But, the free market doesn't make any money unless you've got resources to burn, unless you and the spouse work 40+ hours a week to get those resources.  So what will the free market continue to produce?  Lots of redundant and proprietary cheap plastic crap.  The ipad is great and everything, but, it's not a trinket.  It's $500 friggin dollars, and it's going to wear out in a matter of years, and you're going to want a new one sooner than that.  That $500 recurring payment would be better spent doing something about all the pain and suffering that the world is soon to see from the impending population crisis, let alone all the pain and suffering death and destruction that the world already experiences, much of it in the supply of raw materials for those iPads.  Oh, but you can check your e-mail while lying on your back now, whereas before you used to have to walk over to your laptop sitting on the kitchen table.

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2010, 12:56:08 pm »

Perhaps if we wring our hands faster and more earnestly things will improve.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: iPad
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2010, 05:29:59 pm »

Advocating doing something is more than you're doing with your above post.  It's perhaps revealing that when confronted with the very idea of doing something, you resort to that tried and true fallacy of reasoning cop out of circumventing any possible credibility the idea may have by attacking instead the credibility of the speaker. 

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2010, 05:40:24 pm »

Smug self-satisfaction will save us all!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: iPad
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2010, 05:58:41 pm »

Smug self-satisfaction?

Crap.

I've been running the "using reverse-psychology on divinity" long-con for years.

So many wasted years...
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2010, 06:15:01 pm »

Smug self-satisfaction?

Crap.

I've been running the "using reverse-psychology on divinity" long-con for years.

So many wasted years...

Yeah, I tried that for a while.  Then I went with "bemused neglect" for a couple year.  Turns out the solution was there all along, just staring us in the eye (with an obnoxious little smirk on its face).
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: iPad
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2010, 05:49:29 am »

You guys are assholes.  I don't expect you to be ashamed of yourselves, but I'm surprised there isn't at least one decent regular on this board to call you out.  ching chong wing wong dummy?  If that isn't smug self-satisfaction I don't know what is.

Well excuse me for expressing the idea that aspects of your culture are less than ideal.  That will happen once in a while in this world, you know.  Your reaction to it is pathetic.  I guess it's no accident that your culture has some of the issues that it has.

It's not you guys being rude assholes that offends me.  It's your ignorance.

If a simple and straightforward criticism of some aspect of your culture automatically registers in your mind as smug self-satisfaction, and your initial reflex is to denegrate the speaker, then you might be just another dumbass American.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: iPad
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2010, 06:03:50 am »

Quote
Funny, the post that spurred that pap was written by a guy who, as Lecturing Knight (the motto of which is Brotherly Love) and head of community service and lodge activities committees is going to run thousands of dollars and hours of charitable contributions into his community this year.

man, you sure do love talking about this shit. also, I don't see how his post had anything to do with your post. I think it is reasonable to say "maybe the iPad is a huge waste of energy and resources." that is probably a true thing. that has nothing to do with your charity-doing whatever.

I also don't think "ching chong wing wong dummy" is smug self-satisfaction. It doesn't even make any damn sense.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: iPad
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2010, 06:35:06 am »

In short, though, I don't need no damn iPad.

I got too many shiny distractions.

Ain't nothing you can do on an iPad that ain't cheaper and easier to do split out over three or four other devices that I've already paid for.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: iPad
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2010, 06:52:07 am »

If a simple and straightforward criticism of some aspect of your culture automatically registers in your mind as smug self-satisfaction, and your initial reflex is to denegrate the speaker, then you might be just another dumbass American.

youre a dumbass american because you speak of "your culture" as if youre so far removed from it.  getting ass-hurt because of opinions?  come back to the internet when you get a stronger, more legitimate sense of self-worth.  your cocky, more-charitable-and-sensitive-than-thou attitude is lame, dogg.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up