Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 382372 times)

0 Members and 80 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2655 on: March 14, 2016, 11:21:21 pm »

Yes, I legit miss that about Oklahoma.  If there are like 100 cool people in your whole town it adds a level of bonding or something?

Also, I have this problem where I kind of hate people like me, so no inev, I am not.  Though I should be.  Instead I spend my time with a very respectable British girl or hanging out with speed freak ese's.  Never the two shall meet!

I almost got stabbed last weekend.  Ahhhh, living!

Related?  This might come out of the Oklahoman in me who is all, you hipsters aren't freaks, these folks working 12 hours days and partying still...they are freaks.  And also funner to be around/less judgy.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2656 on: March 14, 2016, 11:28:08 pm »

I've always been the hipster with crack house friends though.  Then the other hipsters come to me for their grime drugs and I go to them for the psychs.  People who chill at crack houses may not know a ton about ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead or the 13th Floor Elevators or even about when Bobby D was the greatest person who ever lived (I know, I know, lame as hell) but they are fun to be around and give a lot less fucks. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:31:23 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2657 on: March 14, 2016, 11:51:58 pm »

OK, what you want out of "weird" people is beyond my desires. I'm sure if you met me you would think I was very square. I just want to meet nerdy people who are down to go see a loud band sometimes. I would not go to a crack house with you.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2658 on: March 15, 2016, 09:30:05 am »

Nah man, it ain't like that.  Today I just drove on the Pacific Coast Highway in my girls (who has never smoked crack or done coke, meth, heroin...any of that shit! Not even adderal!) new car.  So like, yeah, as long as you don't pretend to be better than me while spending your time at coffee houses or judge me for doing drugs we would get along famously.  Also I can introduce you to some cats.

Sometimes I think about that Eagles of Death Metal line, where he is all, I ain't been around cause I work for my money.  That's what I have wanted to yell at every hipster in two states for a minute.  I will say, LA (and probably New York?) hipsters are so much nicer than Denver hipsters.  Like, Denver is large enough to have a hipster community, but small enough where it is real inclusive and weird.  Here it is big enough that it is whatever and everyone can have their own opinions and shit.

Sorry...I was in the best band in Denver.  For real.  We got written about in multiple national reviews of the Denver scene as best punk/hipstery band.  (This doesn't make us that good, hipster bands in Denver mainly suck ass.)  The most popular hipster band was friends with us and dug us.  Everyone else was playing some bullshit game we were not a part of.  Because we had fuck*ng jobs.  It made me jaded!!  (Also we were actively antagonistic towards other hipsters....maybe our fault?  But very whimsically antagonistic!)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2659 on: March 15, 2016, 12:07:52 pm »

She likes The Head and The Heart and The Decemberists so like...where is the hope?!!  (Sorry, just fuck*ng around.  We travel without seat belts on, we live this close to death)

Or, she could like Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber. Choose your battles.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2660 on: March 15, 2016, 10:45:05 pm »

Oh yeah, you were in a band. Was there a demo I downloaded or something? What were you called? I vaguely remember liking it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2661 on: March 18, 2016, 05:39:52 pm »

Some new songs I like:

Operators, "Cold Light"
http://www.stereogum.com/1855403/operators-cold-light/mp3s/

Rob Crow's Gloomy Place "Business Interruptus"   
http://www.stereogum.com/1844511/rob-crows-gloomy-place-business-interruptus/mp3s/

And this is normally not at all my thing, but: the hell this new Babymetal song isn't bad-ass.
http://www.npr.org/2016/03/18/470657368/songs-we-love-babymetal-karate
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2662 on: March 18, 2016, 08:08:39 pm »

And this is normally not at all my thing, but: the hell this new Babymetal song isn't bad-ass.
http://www.npr.org/2016/03/18/470657368/songs-we-love-babymetal-karate

Just the right kind of silly for today.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2663 on: March 18, 2016, 08:12:07 pm »

Probably listened to this record 50 times when it first came out. I've been returning to it numerous times lately.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2664 on: March 18, 2016, 08:16:42 pm »

The Austin 100 they are calling it. It's a 100 song mix of up and comers playing at SXSW this week. I haven't cracked it open yet, but the 2015 mix was pretty great.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2665 on: March 19, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »

August West, Paging August West

Found a $6 copy of Discipline by King Crimson and threw it on while I'm cleaning my room. Holy cow! This is some MUSIC.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2666 on: March 20, 2016, 03:35:44 am »

Fun Fact: Adrian Belew is from Covington, Kentucky -- right across the river from Cincinnati.   

Woot.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2667 on: March 20, 2016, 04:20:45 am »

Someone posted this video on Facebook recently. I was a big fan of that show, but I don't remember this. Might have been an episode I missed back in the day.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2668 on: March 25, 2016, 04:35:29 pm »

Fun Fact: Adrian Belew is from Covington, Kentucky -- right across the river from Cincinnati.   

Woot.

I've been to Covington a couple times for work. Both times I stayed right by the river and had a good view of that suspension bridge designed by John A. Roebling. Which according to Wikipedia is conveniently named the John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge. It's a really cool bridge.

Also, I drove by this crime scene: http://www.wcpo.com/news/body-discovered-in-covington
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2669 on: March 26, 2016, 02:08:27 am »

I've been to Covington a couple times for work. Both times I stayed right by the river and had a good view of that suspension bridge designed by John A. Roebling. Which according to Wikipedia is conveniently named the John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge. It's a really cool bridge.


I have walked across it, more than once.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 190   Go Up