Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 382295 times)

0 Members and 66 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 08:12:20 pm »

I remember hearing about a thing from about 10-15 years ago where Alex Chilton teamed up with another established group to do a show billed as Big Star.  Reading about that "reunion" in Rolling Stones was when I first heard about Big Star.  I'm guessing something like that is whats going on now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 12:52:37 am »

Utter beauty. The Good Son is such a great album

Can'd for awesome taste. The Good Son is one of my favorites of all time. It's one of those records I put on when I'm sick of listening to everything else. There are only a handful of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pte3Jg-2Ax4 Big Star were brilliant for so many reasons and this is definitely one of them

I've been listening to Big Star recently. I've really been enjoying this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q10DAu6-_8w
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:01:39 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 04:18:42 am »

I found this cool blog that posts download links for lots of stuff, mostly things not available on CD (singles, EPs, etc). it is kind of all over the place, genre wise, but one of the guys posts awesome 80s/90s indie pop. I really like all the stuff I have gotten from here so far.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 06:36:43 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkGvk1rQBI Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning. Brilliant song, one of the best choruses of any pop song ever

As for Big Star: pretty sure they come to London fairly regularly for one off reunion gigs. There were loads of Americans/Canadians there who'd come over just for the concert.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 06:50:23 pm »

Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning. Brilliant song, one of the best choruses of any pop song ever


Wow, that one is so old even *I* recognize it!

One of my faves.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2010, 09:35:40 pm »

Fun fact: the singer of that song is now our Minister for the Environment.

King of the Mountain is my favourite Oils song.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2010, 11:36:16 pm »

I was never a huge fan but I always liked Forgotten years.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

elephantsdancerealfunky

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2010, 11:15:14 pm »

huh.  I'd like to meet her tailor.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2010, 11:45:41 pm »

A-wooo
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

elephantsdancerealfunky

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 01:11:16 am »

wait... what happened to the post I was replying to?  This forum is very confusing to me.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2010, 01:36:30 am »

Those damn warewolves.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

elephantsdancerealfunky

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2010, 08:20:54 am »

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/anavabi/mp3/ here's some music.  probably computer generated, I didn't check.  Burn it on a CD, keep it in your car.  Pop it in next time you pick up a hitch-hiker, crank it up.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2010, 06:34:05 am »

Down Colorful Hill, by Red House Painters. Particularly this song. It's on right now. But the whole album is fucktacular. It's one of the handful of records I can always listen to, even when I'm sick of just about everything. Like The Good Son as I previously mentioned.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 04:01:38 pm »

When this series of sights and sounds entered my brain, I closed my internets and took a minute to collect myself. Then I downloaded all of their songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0
The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist
Its old so Im probably behind the curve on this one.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 04:07:34 pm »

Yes, you are a bit behind the curve. The rest of the world has been waiting for them to put out a second album for the better part of a decade.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 190   Go Up