Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380167 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2010, 06:26:38 am »

Blonde on Blonde is in Dylan's 6 album period where whichever one I last listened to is my favorite, but Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands isn't too great it's the whole last side.  Like, it is good, but only (very) rarely am I in the mood for that track.

London Calling is great, but Sandinista could have been their best if it wasn't that 3-lp nightmare.  Cut that shit down to 2 and it is one of the 100 or so timeless albums.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2010, 02:00:11 pm »

Highway 61 is better than Blonde on Blonde.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2010, 04:56:47 pm »

Tommy is another double album that's nowhere near too long.  The greatest "Rock Opera" ever.  I used to listen to this with headphones when I was a young boy (it came out when I was 6).  The album came with a booklet of surreal pictures.  I would sit in the den alone listening and looking at the pictures; It blew my fuck*ng mind.

George Harrison's first solo album was the triple disc All Things must pass which is easily his best album.  Of course in his case he had just gone through 10 years of having 1 song per album given he was the third best song writer in the Beatles.  He followed that up less than a year later with the triple album Concert for Bangladesh which is one of my favorite albums ever; a brilliant album.  Sadly, Harrison really shot his wad with All Things Must Pass; nothing he did subsequently ever came even close to it's brilliance.

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is Smashing Pumpkins best album in my opinion.  it's two hours long and it also has a companion album, The Aeroplane Flies High which is another hour or so of leftovers from the Mellon Collie sessions; they were used as "b" sides on the Mellon Collie sessions.  It's completely awesome as well.  One of the songs on Aeroplane is Pastichio Medley which is a 23 minute pastiche of unfinished song ideas, many of which I would have loved to hear fleshed out into actual songs.  Like Harrison though this was the end of Billy Corgan's brilliance.

So maybe we should not be complaining that Newsom has put out such a long album, but rather be wary of her next one.  Ha ha.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2010, 07:04:12 am »

Quote
I bet it's probably hard. Are you referring to Joanna Newsom's most recent album? Is it worth checking out?

I found her music to be unpleasant and kind of pretentious even before it was 2 hours long.

I am obviously in the minority here. Sorry. There are many songs on all of the double albums I can think of that I regularly skip, except maybe the White Album.

I guess I can handle double albums when they're meant to be just big collections of songs... but when it's like, hey, here is this 2 hour long narrative... I just can't handle it. It's like watching a 4 hour long movie.

Also part of it for me is that a double album almost always seems to involve a lot of "this is IMPORTANT, this is my ART, this is my MASTERWORK. This isn't just POP MUSIC."

maybe I just have too short of an attention span. if I wanted to listen to something this long I would listen to classical music or something. and I don't want to listen to that at all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2010, 07:46:44 am »

Highway 61 is better than Blonde on Blonde.

shit man, if we putting it out Bringing it All Back Home or Another Side of... are the best.  Highway 61 is my least favorite (of the best album releasing streak of all time), even though it has thin man, tom thumb and desolation road.  Rolling Stone is great and all, but it is really kinda underpar for Dylan- the live 66 official bootleg version is how it should sound- and songs 2-4 are just meh.  The music is corny as all fuck on most of the tracks (works well on title track) and almost, almost ruins desolation row.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2010, 01:43:24 pm »

Rolling Stone is great and all, but it is really kinda underpar for Dylan- the live 66 official bootleg version is how it should sound

I disagree that it's not up to par for Dylan, but the bootleg version is better. I love that recording.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2010, 02:19:38 pm »

shit man, if we putting it out Bringing it All Back Home or Another Side of... are the best.  Highway 61 is my least favorite (of the best album releasing streak of all time), even though it has thin man, tom thumb and desolation road.  Rolling Stone is great and all, but it is really kinda underpar for Dylan- the live 66 official bootleg version is how it should sound- and songs 2-4 are just meh.  The music is corny as all fuck on most of the tracks (works well on title track) and almost, almost ruins desolation row.

Now that's just crazy talk.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2010, 04:38:35 pm »

classical music... I don't want to listen to that at all.

am i inferring correctly here because what a shame if i am
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:40 am »

I went to a random bar to try to convince them to turn on the bronze medal olympic hockey game.  Bad news is my bet lost, but the good news is I saw this Mr. Bungle/dance/EbuGogo/SOAD band I was digging, The Communication Corporation.  Dude playin' a sick, gaudy, rickenbacker bass, keytarist lead singer, metal influenced drummer, and kinda a butterface hipster girl singing backup and dancing.
Logged
ACHIEVE

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2010, 12:57:49 am »

I'm listening to this a lot. Amazing buildup and climax.

Also this. From 1:33 onwards, it's the heaviest thing I have listened since Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying". Schnittke rules with iron fists.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2010, 06:36:26 am »

As much as I am bothered by my girlfriend sharing albums with me that her ex told her to check out, this is really rad.
(not bothered by the sharing with me, bothered by the "yeah, my... um.... friend... sent me this, we really have the same taste in music, he always knows what I'll like.")

A lot of the album is synth-y goth-y stuff that I don't like, but I like this song a whole lot.

One of the other songs has this incredibly creepy/upsetting KKK imagery going on in the video, which I really do not like at all.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:42:08 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2010, 05:42:16 pm »

I am in a Starbucks, soaking up wi-fi before going to a meeting up the street, and they just played the Avett Brothers' "Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise."  That's pleasing. 

And contrary to what Bobby will tell you, I did not eat any of my co-workers today.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2010, 04:09:59 am »

I really like Deerhunter and Bradford Cox generally, but have lately been really digging these songs:

VHS Dream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfS33rfA3JU

Famous Last Words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpranePjbKE or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lBQtx4SLU

The second video is kind of cool.

Did I already share my favorite?

Little Kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ZtxWzaDQg
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2010, 12:27:10 am »

I am kind of obsessed with the Joy Division album Warsaw, and especially No Love Lost.

Especially the loud part, duh.

I am trying to find a youtube link that is the right version... it is so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2010, 02:49:23 am »

I was spending a gift voucher from my Dad from christmas on random cds last week and made some joke to the guy at the counter about a cd that was lying there that someone had obviously left behind, something like 'You'd at least hope they'd leave something awesome.' to which he replied that actually it was one of his favourite cds. So I bought it with the change from the voucher and it's actually pretty decent, very nice early morning music.
It was Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left.
I'll find some youtubes when I get home.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 190   Go Up