Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380539 times)

0 Members and 64 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2010, 03:44:14 am »

I can't stop listening to Hootenanny by the Replacements. 

Take Me Down to the Hospital and bad worker are so good.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2010, 04:03:43 am »

yes, they are my favorite band, and that album is great. GREAT. GREAT.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »

I love love LOVE the guitar line in THIS SONG.

People say that bands like this and vampire weekend are ripping off african guitar playing... who are these african groups? no one can answer this. people love Fela Kuti, but I would say that he is more like the african James Brown. all about funky horns and long jams. I want JANGLING GUITARS, damnit!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2010, 04:34:27 am »

I love love LOVE the guitar line in THIS SONG.

People say that bands like this and vampire weekend are ripping off african guitar playing... who are these african groups? no one can answer this. people love Fela Kuti, but I would say that he is more like the african James Brown. all about funky horns and long jams. I want JANGLING GUITARS, damnit!

They are ripping off African guitarist they have never heard of.  It's just a tired old complaint that goes all the way back to Paul Simon and the Graceland album.  That guitar sounds a lot like Ray Phiri so I guess they are ripping off him, but I doubt he minds since he's an international star now thanks to Paul Simon.

But seriously, what the fuck was going on in that video?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2010, 01:43:12 pm »

I mean, I am pretty sure this is a whole category of guitar playing.

I think they have probably heard of the guitarists they are ripping off, because their entire concept as a band is that they play music in this particular African style.

It's not like people are making up that they/Vampire Weekend/Graceland are trying to sound like particular African artists. They are.

I read a thing with Johnny Marr where he referred to the intro to This Charming Man as sounding like "High-Life." I will have to look into this.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:49:09 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2010, 03:16:04 pm »

It's a bullshit complaint anyway.  Fuck those people.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:46 am »

Once in awhile when my friend is playing his ipod, he'll play this Toumani Diabate album that really kills it.  There's this one song that goes like this: "       ," that afterward will be in your head for an hour and ninety four minutes.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2010, 04:29:28 am »

so, in my search for African music played by Africans, I found this blog. I think I am in love. I just downloaded a huge number of songs, I will now load them all on my ipod and listen to them all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2010, 05:45:31 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

The best music video ever? I seriously can't stop watching this.













(Here is the bonus for those of you who read the whole thing before clicking. This is a terrible, terrible, Insane Clown Posse video. But what they say about science, and pelicans, is so bizarre that I can't stop watching it.)
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2010, 05:51:12 am »

But seriously now, Sally Seltmann's new album, Heart That's Pounding, is just amazing. Here is the first video from it, which doesn't fully convey the awesomeness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctwRi-8A9jE

(Serious note: if you don't like Belle & Sebastian, Camera Obscura, Acid House Kings and their ilk, you won't like her stuff. It is twee rock.)
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

The best music video ever? I seriously can't stop watching this.

Seriously, fuck*ng magnets. How do they work?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2010, 02:58:41 pm »

I fed a giraffe to a pelican, it tried to eat my cellphone.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2010, 03:14:04 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2010, 06:56:08 pm »

I spent the weekend listening to the mixdiscs I received from Lprkn and Paul.  Both rocked, Paul's was a little more my speed.

Easily the greatest track of the two was Fatal Apple's "Rode Hard and Put Up Wet".  Apparently some folks like it that way.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

DavidFailkips

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4
  • OH SHI-
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DavidFailkips
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2010, 02:22:52 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

fuck*n' magnets: how do they work?



I'm listening to unicorns pissing fuck*ng rainbows.  Cause that's just how I roll.

I have been summoned, and I must say that you are small time.

Are you a bad enough dude to survive all four minutes of combined Unicorns and Magnets?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 190   Go Up