Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380068 times)

0 Members and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2010, 05:02:23 pm »

Actually I was gonna ask the word buffs from this here place the same question. Probably some of those barbaric languages like German have something on that.

Yeah, German's got to have one. Those Germans have a word for everything! Come on smart people, help us out. To you, is it kind of like feeling melancholy and liking it? Like you don't want to not feel melancholy, so you'll listen to music or read things that will keep you in that mood? Maybe that's just being a teenager. Or is it really a mixture of melancholy and happiness?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 05:06:59 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2010, 05:20:38 pm »

Yeah, German's got to have one. Those Germans have a word for everything! Come on smart people, help us out. To you, is it kind of like feeling melancholy and liking it? Like you don't want to not feel melancholy, so you'll listen to music or read things that will keep you in that mood? Maybe that's just being a teenager. Or is it really a mixture of melancholy and happiness?

I think we call that "emo."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2010, 07:01:54 pm »

Yes. That is correct.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2010, 07:40:12 pm »

Well, I was talking about the real mixture of melancholy with the serene acknowledgement and appreciation of that melancholy, which leads to a state - not of whiney faux-grief naively expressed outwardly by eyeliner and silly mops, but, quite on the contrary, of acceptance and contentment with one's place in Nature. That's just what it is: quiet, self-contented contemplation tinged with a taste of somberness - a bit akin to what the japanese call mono no aware.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:48:05 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2010, 04:36:38 am »

Roy Orbison is the shit
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2010, 06:40:24 am »

Would you say bittersweet? I suppose that's more an experience with both melancholy and happy aspects rather than an appreciation of the melancholy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2010, 11:52:46 am »

Doc, yeah, that's exactly the meaning, only it would have to be possible to use it alone, without a qualifier (in this case you would have to say I"m in a bittersweet mood", or something like that.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2010, 11:25:48 pm »

THIS IS ALL I WANT TO HEAR, EVER.

My roommate says they "seem like assholes" but could not give any reason other than "they like pot a lot."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:52 am »

THIS IS ALL I WANT TO HEAR, EVER.

My roommate says they "seem like assholes" but could not give any reason other than "they like pot a lot."

the singer sounds like courtney love when she was still a junkie.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2010, 03:00:26 am »

THIS IS ALL I WANT TO HEAR, EVER.

My roommate says they "seem like assholes" but could not give any reason other than "they like pot a lot."

That's makes one an asshole, does it?

Punch your roommate in the throat for me, n'kay?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2010, 05:08:55 am »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2010, 05:18:49 am »

THIS IS ALL I WANT TO HEAR, EVER.

You put that, or another song by that band, like a few pages back.  Oh god, so good.  I have probably listened to it at least once a week.  You have any of their recorded shit you could share?  It is like the best of wavves, but better and not just fake computer distortion, instead reverb!

My roommate says they "seem like assholes" but could not give any reason other than "they like pot a lot."

What a dick.  Don't most bands?

This gives me a good LFM rant:  I never fuck*ng understood those dick bags who all like stoner music but hate pot.  Feel indifferent about it?  I guess that works, though the whole point of the music is it sounds much better stoned (though so does all music.)  Actually, I never understood how anyone could really dig on music without digging on drugs.  They are the best complementary items I have ever found.  One time I listened to Only by Beans while on 2CE, it was the closest I have ever come to actually floating in space (well, we are floating in space, but you know.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:24:11 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2010, 05:32:50 am »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2010, 06:33:40 am »

I haven't smoked pot in a looooong time but, even incredibly high, I couldn't stand most Phish and could... take or leave the Grateful Dead at best.

I think I'm just predisposed to "progressive trippy" stoner music instead of "crunchy hippy" stoner music.
   
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2010, 06:48:47 am »

Yeah, I wasn't talking about that stoner music.  More good stuff, pretty much Super Furry Animals to Kyuss?  You know, good, solid stoner pop and rock, I guess?

I'll give you one thing:  if people really dig on Phish (Grateful Dead isn't awful, but I don't really dig them) and don't get high that would be the worst case scenario for my hypothetical.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 190   Go Up