Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379957 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2010, 07:34:32 am »

I getcha.

Maybe it's my smalltown showing but you know, for my little group it was like... Pink Floyd, Zappa, Led Zepplin, King Crimson, Jimi Hendrix kinda stoner music.

I guess the comtemporary example of it would be Flaming Lips?

But yeah, a guy who loves Phish and doesn't burn at all... wow. That's the type of dude who invents Comic Sans.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2010, 07:51:49 am »

I am from a small town too, but it was about 30 minutes from where the Flaming Lips were headquartered- it's why oklahoma has such a great, surprising stoner pop scene- and during the internet, so a bit different.

And yes, the Flaming Lips are pretty much the embodiment of what I am describing, but the good stuff they did was when they played guitar, and don't ever forget it.  I once saw them at the OKC Zoo.  I was high as balls on ecstacy.  They did not play christmas at the zoo or this here giraffe (two of my favorite songs of theirs) and talked the whole fuck*ng time.  Yeah Wayne, we get it, you love us and want us to see you run around in a ball.  How bout you just melt our face with some fuck*ng rock though please? 


So I was looking for early lips stuff on you tube and boy did I find it.  If you are ready to have a new favorite band go here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HLWw6Fe7NTQ&feature=related and just keep watching the stuff by that poster.

or just go here http://www.youtube.com/user/Goalieman707
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:59:18 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »

hm. Best Coast doesn't have an album yet, it's supposed to come out sometime this year.

I think it's just singles:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jxryhug1fyb
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmjtmb90dwt
http://www.mediafire.com/?dtgxyw4omok

I can't find the "When I'm with You" single on there, though.


also, my girlfriend super loves this band, and i am getting pretty into this song.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2010, 02:03:47 pm »

hm. Best Coast doesn't have an album yet, it's supposed to come out sometime this year.

I think it's just singles:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jxryhug1fyb
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmjtmb90dwt
http://www.mediafire.com/?dtgxyw4omok

I can't find the "When I'm with You" single on there, though.


also, my girlfriend super loves this band, and i am getting pretty into this song.

Considering they've released 11 songs via singles and EPs is an album even really necessary at this point?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:17 pm »

I was going to say "some people don't have record players," but I guess I have gotten all of the songs over the internet so there's nothing to stop other people from doing it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2010, 02:25:30 pm »

I was going to say "some people don't have record players," but I guess I have gotten all of the songs over the internet so there's nothing to stop other people from doing it.

You can even do it legally: http://www.emusic.com/artist/Best-Coast-MP3-Download/12486247.html
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2010, 11:31:58 pm »

I really like the new LCD Soundsystem. I didn't like the first album really, and felt that the last one was uneven (with a couple fuck*ng amazing standouts), but I'm completely taken with this one. And I was hesitant to like it, because I was recently seeing this girl who thought I was an aging hipster. As evidence she primarily pointed to my wardrobe (I wear black t-shirts and jeans when not at work, like Louis CK more than anyone, really) and my taste in music. Admittedly I have some tendencies, but I don't think I come close to qualifying as a hipster. But anyway, I'm self-conscious about it now, and despite that, I love this record.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2010, 07:00:53 am »

a small victory-faith no more

This is one of my favorite albums ever.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2010, 07:03:57 am »

I'm listening to some bad-ass guzheng music up in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKnbtGy_UA&feature=player_embedded
http://www.emusic.com/album/Bei-Bei-Shawn-Lee-Into-The-Wind-MP3-Download/11796143.html

Yeah, I'm down with ancient instruments being used in pop music.  Maybe someone will put a guzheng in a good song one day soon.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2010, 08:21:58 am »

Actually, I never understood how anyone could really dig on music without digging on drugs.

That's possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:09 am »

Whatever, go listen to David Gilmour or Queen and keep proving my point.  No drugs, no good music taste.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2010, 01:40:10 pm »

Whatever, go listen to David Gilmour or Queen and keep proving my point.  No drugs, no good music taste.

So everybody who does drugs has the same taste?  Or nobody who does drugs would like David Gilmour or Queen? 

And yeah, they invented drugs in 2003.  Nobody who lived through the 70s or 80s ever even heard of the cool shit that you do.

STFU.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2010, 02:00:52 pm »

What?  No.

Most people who have good music taste do drugs, not the other way around.  That is because drugs go well with good music.  That was all I was saying.  Also, there is a type of music that doesn't really make since without drugs or a history of drug use, probably David Gilmour is one of them, but he is a wanker so I was using him to be an asshole cause Paul is a piece of shit with awful music taste who has been a dick to me for like 5 years.

Seriously though, be honest with yourself, like 90 percent of the people you know who are really into various popular music forms also dig on drugs, or did in the past.
You can't even really name a good band that doesn't have at least one member who used drugs heavily, and if you can it kinda proves the point.

Oh, and I listen to as much shit from the 70s and 80s as any other decade.  Just because there are two boring ass bands from then doesn't mean the whole decades are shit.  That would be as big of a leap as taking "Or nobody who does drugs would like David Gilmour or Queen?" from what I said.

Fuck Hugh.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2010, 02:23:01 pm »

You said that you can't understand how somebody could appreciate good music without doing drugs.

As a drug user and a musician, I say you're full of shit.  So would Frank Zappa.  So would fuck*ng Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.

If you can't appreciate music without drugs that says something about YOU, not about music.

Quote
Seriously though, be honest with yourself, like 90 percent of the people you know who are really into various popular music forms also dig on drugs, or did in the past.
You can't even really name a good band that doesn't have at least one member who used drugs heavily, and if you can it kinda proves the point.

Yeah, and I can't name an NFL team that doesn't have a member who abused cocaine or steroids.  Does that mean I have to do coke or be a juicer to enjoy football?

P.S. -- Your favorite band sucks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2010, 03:12:22 pm »

Paul is a piece of shit with awful music taste
...
Fuck Hugh.

wrong on both counts. if he's been a dick to you, maybe you've deserved it. look at me, i'm being a dick to you now. because you deserve it. so what? how bout fuck you instead, buddy.



edit: GODDAMNIT new page
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 190   Go Up