Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381187 times)

0 Members and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #300 on: July 02, 2010, 02:55:29 am »

honestly, I just don't enjoy listening to a lot of people who are considered technically skilled.


Really?  I find that very difficult to believe/understand.  Does that hold true across time and genres or just for modern popular music?  Please give some examples of people who are technically skilled whom you do not enjoy.  We should also probably clarify what you mean by technically skilled.  Do you mean plays really fast or something more than that?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #301 on: July 02, 2010, 03:17:14 am »

I think I see what you're getting at. Being technically skilled is not the same thing as being flashy in a way that makes people say, "wow, that guy is technically skilled." Not always a distinction I make.

I guess I prefer musicians who take a less-is-more approach to their instrument/composition. That is a better way to say it.

So what I really don't like is... flashy guitar playing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #302 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:38 am »

Dude, not liking Yngwie Malmsteen or however the fuck he spells it is not the same thing as not appreciating virtuosity.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #303 on: July 02, 2010, 03:44:41 am »

Speaking of Adrian Belew. Christ, I love this song. I almost never prefer a live recording of a beloved song to the studio version, but there's just something about this... arrangement? The mix is much better on the extended version of The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads, but cool video.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #304 on: July 02, 2010, 05:38:22 am »

Speaking of Adrian Belew. Christ, I love this song.

That's a cool jam.

I almost never prefer a live recording of a beloved song to the studio version

I love to hear a band reinterpret their songs for the stage.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #305 on: July 02, 2010, 11:35:18 am »

The Dukes of Stratosphear.

You all know and love XTC right? Well, in the '80s they went a bit nostalgic and started a psychedelia pastiche/homage group.

I Am The Walrus + Bowie maybe? The outro is EXTREMELY a Colin Moulding bass line though


Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #306 on: July 02, 2010, 02:23:46 pm »

In the late 60s everyone had to do a concept album to try and keep up with the Beatles.  Most couldn't hang.  A lot of British Invasion bands dropped by the wayside in the wake of Sgt. Peppers.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #307 on: July 02, 2010, 08:20:04 pm »

Quote
Dude, not liking Yngwie Malmsteen or however the fuck he spells it is not the same thing as not appreciating virtuosity.

I mean, sure. But I don't really listen to any guitarists who I would call virtuosos.

I guess Django? He also breaks my "I hate jazz guitar" tendency.


Funny story: this Wavves album is not really that lo-fi at all. it kind of sounds like... green day or something?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2010, 08:23:05 pm »

Funny story: this Wavves album is not really that lo-fi at all. it kind of sounds like... green day or something?

I liked him before he sold out.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #309 on: July 02, 2010, 08:44:38 pm »

in other news, my friend's band's music is in an ad for Kate Spade.

or, I guess, she is someone I interacted with in my radio station job, and I met her in real life a few times. My roommate knows her well enough that he's probably sleeping on her couch when he's in NYC?

I don't know how to link to a video that's on facebook, so, I guess if you are facebook friends with me you can see it.

the famous story about this girl is that I talked to her on the phone every week for the radio station, and then we were facebook friends, and then I saw her on the lower east side and went up and said hi. This was apparently kind of weird. "Hi. I'm... dan? from KWUR? We talk on the phone?"

I think as I was walking away I said "she is so fuck*ng cute" loud enough that she could hear. Oops.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #310 on: July 04, 2010, 06:25:06 pm »

ok, I seriously can't stop listening to this song.

OH! and Miles, apparently Jay Reatard's backing band is playing with Nathan Whatever on this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5biCmyJQtM
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #311 on: July 04, 2010, 09:19:45 pm »

ok, I seriously can't stop listening to this song.

OH! and Miles, apparently Jay Reatard's backing band is playing with Nathan Whatever on this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5biCmyJQtM

Ah, good to know. I like that song.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #312 on: July 06, 2010, 12:00:37 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE

I love how they alternate between the pleasant shots of LA, close-ups of band members which are good, and HORRIBLE 90S CRAP WITH ALL THE FILTERS AND.. AHHH.

When I moved away from LA as a little kid, my aunt made me a mixtape of songs about California, and I just realized that this song was brand new when she put it on there. Whoaaa.

Plus: he has my guitar. (although apparently on the record he's playing a strat.) Lately I am totally over the buzzy treble thing, and I'm realizing how awesome and rich my guitar can sound with all the pickups turned on. Some reverb, some tremolo maybe, ALL RIGHT. Thick chords.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:05:15 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #313 on: July 06, 2010, 01:15:39 am »

Man, that new wavves shit sounds so boss.  I always liked what he was trying to do, just he was taking a cheat to get there.  Now he is not.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #314 on: July 06, 2010, 09:55:20 am »

wait, so where can I download that Best Coast stuff?  Didn't do it the first time then tried to read through this thread and couldn't find it.  then I started being a dick to paul and stopped reading, so, please, if you could, another link?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 190   Go Up