Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381864 times)

0 Members and 73 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #315 on: July 06, 2010, 05:46:43 pm »

So I finally listened to this Wavves guy?

Only the one song, I guess, "Post Acid" the first single off the new one? Slate just did a huge article on in.

http://www.slate.com/id/2258792/

And... I mean... I didn't like actively hate it but I don't know that I'd leave a radio station on if it was playing.

Somewhere under the junk was a decent hook but it just came off like the closing credits music to a late-1990s self-conscious slacking-off comedy that couldn't afford a Weezer song.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #316 on: July 06, 2010, 07:01:23 pm »

I will never understand the process by which singles are chosen.

I mean, that song is fine, but it isn't the song on that album that has been stuck in my head for a week.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #317 on: July 06, 2010, 08:54:51 pm »

Somewhere under the junk was a decent hook but it just came off like the closing credits music to a late-1990s self-conscious slacking-off comedy that couldn't afford a Weezer song.

Hey, that's pretty good.  You should submit your resume to Pitchfork.  Seriously.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #318 on: July 06, 2010, 11:27:57 pm »

Quote
I always liked what he was trying to do, just he was taking a cheat to get there.

What?
Jimi Hendrix can't actually play guitar backwards, either.


I'll look for a place to download Best Coast, but actually all I do is "best coast site:mediafire.com" on google. The new album is coming out in a month or so, I think. Right now it's all just singles and an EP.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #319 on: July 06, 2010, 11:35:03 pm »

Jimi Hendrix can't actually play guitar backwards, either.

Huh?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #320 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:16 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2010, 12:22:12 am »

Quote
Huh?

I just really don't get Keith's thing where "Wavves are good, but he is just turning up the distortion on GarageBand to get that sound."

My response is, Jimi Hendrix can't actually play the guitar backwards. They just put the tape on backwards on that song (I forget the one with all the backwards guitar... manic depression?). Is that "cheating"?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2010, 03:27:15 am »

Oh my god, I'm in love with music again.  I stole my mother's ipod and everything sound so freaking good.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2010, 03:29:35 am »

stolen music always does sound the best.

...to a heartless thief.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2010, 03:31:55 am »

Oh my god, I'm in love with music again.  I stole my mother's ipod and everything sound so freaking good.
Just out of curiosity, what's on Mama McRae's Ipod?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2010, 03:37:00 am »

Just out of curiosity, what's on Mama McRae's Ipod?

Yes, please share.

I'm listening to...

Neil Young! Man, totally nonstop since Saturday.

I bought Big Boi's new album, which I had already heard a couple weeks ago and love, and couldn't keep it in my car's CD player for more than 2 songs because I needed to hear some more Neil.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2010, 04:08:15 am »

Just out of curiosity, what's on Mama McRae's Ipod?

Well my mother's mp3 collection is basically mine.  I gave her a hard drive a couple of years ago with about 20k songs on it.  She doesn't have any mp3s of her own.  But theres a pretty good overlap in our tastes.

I don't know what was on the ipod though because it wouldn't sync to my itunes.  So I erased it and put my own selections on there.  I just listened to Keith's Mozart Mix from a few years ago.

Right now Im listening to Doc's mix.  There has been some Neil Young and Cake, Beatles, Ice Cube and a bunch of other shit.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #327 on: July 07, 2010, 04:13:20 am »

Neil Young, dude! Neil Young! Anyone catching him on his solo tour this summer?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2010, 04:18:35 am »

I just really don't get Keith's thing where "Wavves are good, but he is just turning up the distortion on GarageBand to get that sound."

My response is, Jimi Hendrix can't actually play the guitar backwards. They just put the tape on backwards on that song (I forget the one with all the backwards guitar... manic depression?). Is that "cheating"?

I don't know man.  Maybe just like it kinda sounds like shit, whereas he could have bought a decent distortion pedal and a shitty tape recorder and made the same sound better and barely slightly more complicated.  Cheaper too, though probably had the computer already.

Like I don't actually like the way Wavves sounds, and it is pretty grating after a whole album, but I like his take on what a song should be??  And like I kinda see what he is going for with the sound and would like to hear what he wants it to be, but that ain't the way to go about getting it??? Either way the new one is the shit, so whatever.

Also, found all the best coast shit.  I do it the same way as you, but the first time you linked them I couldn't find anything.  This time it was all over.  New album out July 27, I am pretty stoked.  Also, downloaded the new Soft Pack album today, haven't listened though.  Anyone in to the Muslims/Soft Pack?  Muslims self titled pretty bad ass.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2010, 04:23:48 am »

ah, I get what you were saying now. I thought it was the idea of using GarageBand that bothered you, not the actual sound of it. Which is why I didn't get it.

I really like the Muslims/Soft Pack. I saw them in NYC 2 years ago and thought they were the coolest ever. The drummer played his drums standing up, but still had a kick pedal, which I thought was cool. At one point he was playing a solo on the floor tom/stood-up-kick-drum/whatever it was with both sticks and the pedal, it was cool.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 190   Go Up