Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381105 times)

0 Members and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #345 on: July 14, 2010, 11:24:06 pm »

That is just too many ironic band names for me.

I have no idea what the bands would sound like but I am certain that many ironic band names being involved, I would not enjoy myself.

If you are named "Lightning Bolt" or "Double Daggers" you had better be a fuck*ng metal band from, like, Sweden who doesn't understand English enough to know where you went wrong.

If you are named "Beach House" you had better be a Jimmy Buffet cover band and... even then, I will not listen to your stuff because it is not for me.

But if you are lo-fi bo-ho tru-fund douchebags who only tour between Echo Park and Williamsburgh and back with maybe a stop at a festival in Chicago sponsored by The Onion, I dunno.

I dunno if I can handle that. I don't know if I can handle that level of second-hand PBR fumes.

Also, I am exaggerating for comic effect, Dan, so settle down. I am having some fun.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #346 on: July 14, 2010, 11:43:08 pm »

Ian MacKaye (doing a Q&A, not playing unfortunately)

Ask him some good questions for me. Like, will Fugazi ever play together again? OK, bad question. But the song '23 Beats Off,' which I understand is about/inspired by Magic Johnson contracting HIV. Is the title of the song suggesting that Michael Jordan avoided the virus by beating off instead of banging tons of ladies?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #347 on: July 14, 2010, 11:44:14 pm »

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:03:03 am by Mr Trout »
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #348 on: July 14, 2010, 11:47:06 pm »

Wait, that's in response to LFM, right? Because I totally fuck*ng love Fugazi.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #349 on: July 14, 2010, 11:50:16 pm »

but those band names are not ironic. Lightning Bolt are a really intense loud high-energy band that is like... metal-ish. At the very least their riffage shows a love for high-speed metal. Beach house are dreamy and beach sounding. There is nothing ironic about those names.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2010, 12:02:23 am »

Wait, that's in response to LFM, right? Because I totally fuck*ng love Fugazi.

Oh crap yeah, it was. I didn't see that you had posted. It is impossible to hate Fugazi.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:24 am »

OK, good. Because seriously, I'm curious.

But my favorite Fugazi song.

Also, the subheading of that clip: "Fugazi. Grunge. The real deal." The fuck?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #352 on: July 15, 2010, 03:05:56 am »

It is impossible to hate Fugazi.

I like a lot of music that is similar to you (i would guess) and I fuck*ng hate Fugazi (underlined).  I have never gotten past like 30 seconds of one of their songs.  That is a lie, they have this one song that my roommate plays that is good, but that is it.  Every time I try to download that shit I listen, get annoyed, delete.  Same thing with Husker Du, the Minutemen talk about how Zen Arcade pushed them to make Double Nickels on the Dime, so like, shit, thats got to be awesome right?  No, not to me.  The difference between me and LFM is that I won't get mad at you for liking them.  I only do that with my roommate for liking Dub Step and only cause he is supposed to be better than that.  Dub Step shows are fun though if you like uppers and synthetic hallucinogens (I do).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #353 on: July 15, 2010, 03:52:09 am »

If that link was telling of what a Fugazi is, I don't care for it.

I'll not mess with y'alls dander on this one but it wasn't my thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #354 on: July 15, 2010, 04:04:28 am »

... if you like ... synthetic hallucinogens (I do).

Well at least we can agree on something! (other than dub step is lame) <3
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #355 on: July 15, 2010, 04:55:18 am »

So do you all like Husker Du?  Should I try to get in to them again?  Is Zen Arcade where to start?  I mean, from what I understand they broke up because one was addicted to speed and the other heroin, they were in the same general scene as the replacements (only because of geography?), and they were liked by/inspired/had a friendly rivalry with the Minutemen.  They have to be good right?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #356 on: July 15, 2010, 05:06:26 am »

The only album I've have of theirs is Zen Arcade and I really like it. I guess if you've checked it out and it wasn't your thing then there's not much point in forcing it?
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #357 on: July 15, 2010, 05:25:37 am »

Sometimes you got to let shit mellow.  With most of my long time favorite bands I was intrigued and turned off on first listen.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #358 on: July 15, 2010, 06:04:39 am »

god damnit, I typed a big ol post about Husker Du and then my computer ran out of batteries.

Basically, I dont' like Zen Arcade, and the more people try to tell me how great it is, the less I want to listen to it. They always talk about how it's a double album with an overarching story, blah blah blah, as if that will make me say "awesome" instead of... feel even more overwhelmed by listening to it.
It's kind of like when my girlfriend, upon hearing that I hate the Hold Steady, said "wait, but, do you know their songs are all based on true stories?" yes, that's part of what I can't stand. every song is I KNEW THIS GIRL, AND SHE WAS HOT, BUT THEN SHE WAS IN THE "SCENE," AND SHE DID TOO MANY DRUGS, AND SHE DIED, BY THE BANKS OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

But anyway, I like "Celebrated Summer" off of New Day Rising. This song is freaking awesome, and fun to play on guitar. I talk very frequently on my show about this song, because it does a "deconstruction" of husker du (on a simple level)-- it has an awesome chord progression, but is way too fuzzy and trebly, and then there's a part with acoustic guitar arpeggiating the really great chord progression so you can hear it. You are kind of missing out because you can't hear the bass that well on this youtube video, during the little call-and-response thing at the start.

 and Land Speed Record. oh man land speed record. the only album I've heard that frustrates me with its lo-fi-ness. So badly recorded. The second song (starting at about 2:00) freaks me out. *RIFF RIFF RIFF* TWO THREE FOUR. Always reminds me how much I love hardcore. The first song is good too.

I also read that the "key" to Husker Du is their cover of the Gilligan's Island theme. Except as far as I can tell the "key" is just "oh, the bass guitar plays the melody."

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:02:05 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #359 on: July 15, 2010, 06:23:03 am »

I also read that the "key" to Husker Du is their cover of the Gilligan's Island theme. Except as far as I can tell the "key" is just "oh, the bass guitar plays the melody."

Oh, so they're like the Chilli Peppers?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 190   Go Up