I want to like hip hop, mainly because I never want to be one of those old people that are assholes about what the kids are listening to. They are almost as annoying as most kids that think music was invented the day they were born, or more correctly about 10-12 years after they were born.
But mostly I don't like too much hip hop. I kinda got into the Roots for awhile. There was a Wyclef album that I really enjoyed. Some Beastie Boys stuff I like. Snoop is pretty cool, I even saw him perform once (opened for RHCP), but in all honesty the only song of his I could name is Gin and Juice. And of course I like a lot of the classic tracks such as Baby Got Back, Funky Cold Medina, etc...
I like how hip hop has become "real music" using instruments and shit and not just scratching on a turntable or whatever. See, that last sentence totally reads like some old asshole talking about what the kids are listening to... Anyway, I've seen some hip hop acts on television in more recent times and thought the bands were fuck*ng hotter than hell. The only drawback I could find was the MC him or herself. You got this shit hot band jamming they ass off with this idiot spitting out a bunch of bs about guns and cars and women. Hip hop has really evolved into an aggressive form of R&B with the MC a vestigial element held over from earlier times.
So yeah, I'm not a big fan of hip hop, but I'm not against it either. And I'm certainly not one of those old assholes that is likely to say something such as "I love all kinds of music except rap. I HATE rap."
I can never get past Wu-Tang Clan and Fear of a Black Planet. When I am in a hip-hop mood I listen to those two things, and then I am satisfied.
I have Wu Tang Forever, I should give it a listen to see if it still bores me. I also recently got AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted. Some of that sounded kinda interesting. But I've only listened to a couple of tracks.