Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380985 times)

0 Members and 46 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #450 on: October 02, 2010, 10:05:42 am »

Yeah, Pavement.

Also, I need an excuse to go to Red Rocks, would have seen them in a second there.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #451 on: October 02, 2010, 06:29:00 pm »

Where my cousin lives in the Denver burbs, you can basically walk to Red Rocks.

Didn't see a show there but drove past it when some jam band "The Discobiscuits" were playing and... so many would-be nouveau hippies.

I felt so old, even though a significant minority of the faux hippies were at least a bit older than I am.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #452 on: October 02, 2010, 08:45:22 pm »

Pavement played McMenamins Edgefield recently. I didn't go - I was out of town. I did see Al Green and Crowded House there, though, and they were both fantastic shows.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #453 on: October 03, 2010, 01:30:52 pm »

I'm trying to find some chiptunes I like for study music. Mainly I've been enjoying the chilled out stuff like failotron which I originally heard on PATV.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #454 on: October 04, 2010, 03:39:27 am »

Sonic Youth is finished.  They are setting up Pavement's equipment right now.

the first time i read that, i was like "damn, that's cold."
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #455 on: October 04, 2010, 05:55:35 am »

Yeah, that's how I read it at first too.

"They are so terrible, I have now internally demoted them to another band's roadies."

I am... glad someone else made this mistake so I can admit to it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #456 on: October 04, 2010, 04:44:22 pm »

It took lfm spelling it out for me to read it any other way. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #457 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:41 pm »

That does make a pretty awesome metaphor, and to some fans during the 90s may not have been too far off the mark.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #458 on: October 05, 2010, 03:13:01 am »

So, Garage Fest:

Nodzzz were awesome. I think my girlfriend has a crush on the lead singer, and it makes me mad. But I will like them a lot.

Thee Oh Sees were awesome, but kind of grossed me out. The lead singer kept deep-throating the mic, and then spitting something out. None of my friends can agree whether he was "just spitting," spitting out that nasty shit you get in your mouth when you chew tobacco, or puking a little bit.
It was also weird how much he creeped me out. As soon as I saw him on stage, with his muscle-head head and huge arms and tiny eyes, I was like "oh no, he is going to be an asshole." Kept thinking about this video where I saw him beat someone over the head with his guitar.
Then after the show he was wearing a knit sweater and shaking fans' hands. "Thanks so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it, I had a lot of fun tonight."
I was mad that lately my glasses have gotten really loose, and every time I tried to dance around they fell off.

Times New Viking blew. Last time I saw them I liked it a lot. This time something was way off.

The Clean were super super bad. My girlfriend loves them, and loved it, and kept talking about how they are "legendary."
The thought I kept having was "this isn't watching a band perform, this is watching a drunk dude practice his guitar." It is clear that he has gotten a lot more proficient at the guitar in the last (twenty?) years, and is bored of playing the actual fuck*ng guitar parts, and was just screwing around. The guitar was way too loud, he kept messing with his amp, and he never played the same riff more than once. Really really frustrating to listen to. The drummer and bassist did not look as frustrated as I would have been by this.

Then I got mad that it was so bad, and stomped around instead of going to see any of the "headlining" bands. Couldn't get in to see King Khan, so then I watched The Oblivians for a little while. Kind of boring.

My girlfriend has gotten really into the New Zealand music scene from the 80s and 90s, and it makes me feel like LFM. "These bands have stupid names. They all sound the same."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #459 on: October 05, 2010, 03:22:22 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
Times New Viking

Really?

...really?

Really. Really!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #460 on: October 05, 2010, 03:25:05 am »

you not only like the band Guns and Roses, you like a band called Guns and Roses. You don't get to make fun of band names.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #461 on: October 05, 2010, 03:30:56 am »

It was the stage name of their singer plus the stage name of one of their guitarist who quit early on.

Not the best name, sure, kinda jock-dumb... but it doesn't smack of trying so gosh darn hard to be clever that your brains fall outcher damn ears.

"Times New Viking".

It's like a Snorg tee-shirt design that even Snorg thought was too fuck*ng stupid.

Oh God. Trying... so hard. So very hard to come off as off-handedly stupid.

How much did of their trust funds did they pay some "hip" P.R. firm in Williamsburg, where they totally wear jeans to work and have a pingpong table in the lobby, for that gem?

"Times New Viking". Holy shit.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #462 on: October 05, 2010, 03:53:03 am »

ok, this is a pretty dumb argument.

What do you guys think makes a good band name? I have spent a lot of time thinking of band names, and what makes a good band name, but all I remember is deciding that Pavement is one of the best band names ever.

Also, I want to be in a band called Weed Kills so bad. Mostly I just want a shirt that says that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #463 on: October 05, 2010, 04:14:46 am »

I think Weed Kills has been done.

I was going to name my band "Anal Sweat and Goat Vomit", but that was in elementary school.

My wife and I call ourselves Necrosexy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #464 on: October 05, 2010, 04:24:41 am »

Just... just say it out-loud, Dan. Say "Times New Viking".

Consider the way it is a forced-clever re-appropriation of a common slightly-nerdy thing that is "square" and then using a "Zombies Versus Ninjas" logic on the end to use the double meaning of the idea "Roman" in a secondary context. Roll it around in your mouth, oh, how it tastes like ashes in there, okay?

It is like that line in the Simpsons where the two kids are like "Peter Frampton, that's soooo cool" "Are you being sarcastic?" "I don't even know anymore..." It is so ambivalently meta, is it a bad attempt at sounding cool, is it an attempt at being so bad it is cool? It is about hiding from the responsibility of having to take a side on the issue of trying... and it tries. so. fuck*ng. HARD. at it.

I have never read a sentence fragment in over thirty years of reading every single thing my gaze falls upon that is trying so hard to seem like it isn't trying.

It wants to impress people SO MUCH that it has to try to impress people who are only impressed by not trying to impress them AT THE SAME TIME.

It is a name that loves the Eighties so much that it has to pretend it hates the Eighties in case the Eighties doesn't like guys who come on too strong.

If anyone needs to understand why irony has to die, just say "Times New Viking" to them and they will instantly sign your petition.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 190   Go Up