Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381318 times)

0 Members and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2010, 04:29:17 am »

how can you enjoy anything?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2010, 04:50:26 am »

I can enjoy a lot of things! The new Ben Folds is pretty good. The new Venture Brothers was fuck*ng outstanding. So is "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret".

But something I can't deal with is when people play that "battle of who can care less". Trying to split the difference between apathy and effort so that you can feign whichever to whoever wants what.

Holy shit. Being sincere can be awesome and being satrical can totally be awesome too. But trying to conveniently hide behind "we're not really trying" when you fuck up...

I think it is what pisses me off about noise bands too. "If you like it, it is because we are awesome, if you don't like it, fuck you, you don't understand that we're not trying and that's the point!"

Fuck that. It... it is everything that is wrong with human culture, that goddamn attitude.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #467 on: October 05, 2010, 05:47:28 am »

Fuck off.


I saw Sonic Youth today, it was pretty awful.  Maybe I was just spoiled by MBV and Dinosaur Jr., but have you ever heard noise rock that isn't very loud?  It is pretty boring.  You need that volume to suck you in, make it all encompassing.  They did like 5 minutes of pure feedback at the end and my ears didn't even hurt a little after the show.  Just, like, it sounded cool I guess, but was impossible to get into cause it was way to quiet.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #468 on: October 05, 2010, 06:53:13 am »

I think that your problem is that you are confusing "not trying to do what LFM likes" with "not trying." You have mentioned before this idea that Sonic Youth "aren't trying." How can you possibly think this? They have been a band for something like 30 years, have put out tons of albums, toured every continent except Antactica. They are also, as far as I am concerned, really fuck*ng good at their instruments.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #469 on: October 05, 2010, 07:26:08 am »

The best band name is clearly "Spaces Old Phoenician". There.

EDIT: Hang on maybe Times New Polanski is cleverer
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:29:53 am by Victoria Waterfield »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #470 on: October 05, 2010, 09:12:14 am »

Once again Miss Waterfield wins the game that no one knew they were playing.

I decided in a pathology tute this morning that I wanted to be in a band called 'Lady Sperm' but I've been a bit sleep deprived lately.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #471 on: October 05, 2010, 10:10:33 am »

For the longest time I've wanted to make a thread called "Post fictional band names you think up here," one, for jokes, and two, to catalog the band names I think up and want to remember.  It was right after, for some reason, the name popped into my head, "Why Yes, I am The Viceroy."  Since then I've amassed this whole list of good to bad band names, the worst of which being "Miley Cyrus Nip Slips Dot Com."
Logged
ACHIEVE

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #472 on: October 05, 2010, 01:33:10 pm »

For the longest time I've wanted to make a thread called "Post fictional band names you think up here," one, for jokes, and two, to catalog the band names I think up and want to remember.  It was right after, for some reason, the name popped into my head, "Why Yes, I am The Viceroy."  Since then I've amassed this whole list of good to bad band names, the worst of which being "Miley Cyrus Nip Slips Dot Com."

Yeah, but then you'll just get sued like RivrFenix or whatever they used to be called before they had to change their name to FenixTX
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #473 on: October 05, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »

I like the name Time New Viking.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #474 on: October 05, 2010, 01:46:13 pm »

My "next band name" for about 15 years now has been New Century Schoolbook.  Maybe one of these days I'll actually get a band together again and use that.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #475 on: October 05, 2010, 01:50:16 pm »

I have never read a sentence fragment in over thirty years of reading every single thing my gaze falls upon that is trying so hard to seem like it isn't trying.

Never? How did you keep track? How did you know you were going to need to?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #476 on: October 05, 2010, 04:24:48 pm »

your mom and dad
BILF(breakfast id like (to)fuck)
minute maiden
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #477 on: October 05, 2010, 04:40:05 pm »

tragic sans
the inner limits
newsy lewis and the hues
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #478 on: October 05, 2010, 04:47:06 pm »

my friends are theoretically in a band called Barbeque Masters. I was kind of playing with them for a while, but I think we need at least one person who knows how to write a song.

Also the drummer can't keep time, and not in a "fun" way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #479 on: October 05, 2010, 05:04:40 pm »

There's a way that having a terrible drummer is fun?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 190   Go Up