Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380122 times)

0 Members and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #480 on: October 05, 2010, 06:47:53 pm »

There's a way that having a terrible drummer is fun?

yes.  generally involves his/her [the drummer's] access to copious amounts of cocaine and/or a large trust fund with zero oversight and/or a promiscous girlfriend who works at the Sharper Image.

inre Times New Vikings, i'll settle this debate easily.  the name is fuck*ng retarded, but if they rock out then its moot.  AC/DC's name is more retarded then a crack-addled retarded spider monkey, but they rock the fuck out so the debate over their name has no merit.

additionally, most, if not all, band names are completely fuck*ng retarded, but, yes, in a myriad number of ways.  see: guns and roses, rapeman, def leppard, yngwee malstroem, etc, etc, etc.  belle and sebastian? seriously?

 inre sonic youth, a band full of complete virtuousos can be completely boring-assed boring.  much of the enjoyment of partaking of rock (etc) music is the visceral connection the listener/partaker makes at an emotional level with the band.  failures are usually more emotional than perfection.  more emotional generally equates to more connectedness, which then makes one more likely to nod their head and say "groovy".

this is akin to the difference between the ice cold super model bitch with auto-cad generated features that you can slice deli meat on, versus the girl next door whose nose is crooked and her knee is scraped and tears are beginning to well behind her dark brown doe-eyes.

if i had a chance to listen to a freeze-dried, perfect sonic youth and a sonic youth full hate, angst, and gin where they kick at their pedals in frustration because they haven't quite figures out how to join that one chord to that one riff yet,
well,
i've got a band aid and a bottle of bactine and no room in my heart for stainless steel appliances.


inre interpol, i am listening to interpol _right this very moment_. they have a very, very dumb band name.  they _alm.....ost_ rock out.
they are like a really hot high school girlfriend who lets you touch her breasts but only _outside clothes_.
god dammit, this could really be kick ass.
i mean, it's great and all,
but it could _so much better_.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #481 on: October 05, 2010, 07:26:27 pm »

Did I start this argument?  I think I did. 

BTW, I used to play in a band called Instigator.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #482 on: October 05, 2010, 07:50:01 pm »

Nearly every band name is stupid, yes. The greatest rock band of all time, their name is a pun on "beat/beetle".

But, jeez, "Belle and Sebastian" at least is just straightforwardly named after a children's cartoon. Perhaps sarcastically, perhaps sincerely but at least straight forwardly.

"Times New Viking" is just such a goddamned affectation. It is so painfully and consciously constructed.

Sure, if the band is good that's all that should matter but someone who'd think that such a "trying hard not to try" band name is a good idea to have is probably making music that is far more conscious to the social pose they exist within than making good music and those bands almost always suck. There are rare exceptions but they prove the rule.

Punk is supposed to be rebellion, somehow, but The Sex Pistols were put together by a dude who owned a fashion boutique. This is important. This is important to remember.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #483 on: October 05, 2010, 08:11:43 pm »

Yeah, these kids today and the crazy things they name their music groups.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #484 on: October 05, 2010, 08:18:48 pm »

Crazy would be fine!

The Dipthong-Weebops would be simply dumb but not actively offensive.

Meta-posturing is what offends me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #485 on: October 05, 2010, 08:24:04 pm »

I think what LFM is trying to say is he wants New Times Viking to taste the curb.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #486 on: October 05, 2010, 08:42:33 pm »

Meta-posturing is what offends me.

there are way more important thing to be pissed off about.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #487 on: October 05, 2010, 08:45:59 pm »

I am not a fan of bands names that sound like a person's name but aren't. Because they are hard to alphabetize.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #488 on: October 05, 2010, 08:53:46 pm »

Oh sure, there are definitely more terrible things going on in the world than the world's worst band name.

However.

We've been over all that shit and, at this point, we've talked about those things so much that it just hurts to talk about them.

That's why we have things to riff on like terrible terrible band names and baseball rosters.

For we have no mouth and we must scream 'bout something.

I assumed this was a given.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #489 on: October 05, 2010, 09:23:50 pm »

My thrashmetal band was named Tranessence.  Metal is hilarious when it's done right.

I was gonna name my electro-big band (where I dress as a doctor), "Magnum Foramen Opus."  But it turns out that dim mfers have not heard of either of those terms.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #490 on: October 05, 2010, 09:26:26 pm »

I think the best band name I've heard fairly recently was "Trojan Hearse".

I do like "Minute Maiden", though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #491 on: October 05, 2010, 09:44:06 pm »

I do like "Minute Maiden", though.

its from an "in living color" sketch.  jim carrey plays an old astronaut pitching a powdered orange-flavored beverage comparable to tang.  it went something like: "blablabla, i drank this every day when i went to the moon.  [[sip]] minute maiden: it tastes just like a woman."
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #492 on: October 05, 2010, 10:06:20 pm »

When I was in High School I created an imaginary punk rock band I named The Walking Assholes.  The guitar player was Larry Gondwanaland, on bass was (you ain't) Jack Slick, and the drummer was Egore.  In my mind they were a Ruttlesesque piss take on punk rock.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #493 on: October 06, 2010, 12:04:01 am »

LFM, how do you feel about the name "Camper Van Beethoven"?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #494 on: October 06, 2010, 12:05:44 am »

I'm all about hating band names, but I still don't, after like 50 posts trying to explain it, get what is so wrong about Times New Viking as a band name. I saw them a couple years ago, and they were really boring so it's not like I am particularly interested in defending them or anything, but it's never occurred to me that the band name is worse than most other band names out there. Maybe there are some cultural references I'm missing? Hey, look at this:

Quote
Their name, "Times New Viking," is a play on the popular typeface Times New Roman

But maybe that just strengthens your resolve.

One of my favorite real life band names is The Gun Club. I can't really spell out why, but I just love it. I also like the title of their best album, Fire of Love. Also, The Mekons and Shellac. They just sound good. Shellac in particular is fun to say. And I know I said I'm all about hating band names, but I really can't think of any aside from bands that I genuinely hate, so probably I don't care about band names, unless the name is really good.

Most offensive band name: Anal Cunt? I'd say that's up there.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 190   Go Up