Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380070 times)

0 Members and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #511 on: October 06, 2010, 09:25:23 am »

Ohh I got one, "My Fair Malady."
Logged
ACHIEVE

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #512 on: October 06, 2010, 03:31:58 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #513 on: October 06, 2010, 04:02:54 pm »

If I'm reading the thread correctly, I believe that the argument is that lfm hates bands where the guy is wearing a t-shirt that says "I'M THE GUY WHO SUCKS AT GUITAR" on the front and "PLUS I GOT PRETENSION" on the back, and inev is saying that that guy is just wearing the shirt ironically.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #514 on: October 06, 2010, 04:55:10 pm »

In your metaphor, VW, which is actually pretty close to a point, I'm actually arguing that the dude in the shirt is trying to have it both ways.

He's trying to wear the shirt ironically AND unironically to cover all his bases, which is what bothers me a lot more than if he was just doing it ironically. He wants to be able to say "isn't it awesome that I'm not really trying, isn't it indie and lofi and pure and unaffected?" to the hipsters and "fuck you, of course I'm not trying, THAT'S THE POINT that I'm affecting!" to squares.

THAT'S the attitude I hate. From ON THE ROAD to BLITZKRIEG BOP to... the kinds of bands Dan likes to champion... more than anything, that's the attitude I hate. The pose that is supposed to defend from all attacks by hiding under the equivalent of, okay fuck this is nerd, rotating your shield frequencies to keep the Borg off. You know? Shifting ablative irony armour that allows you to hide from all responsibility in your creative choices by always keeping your level of sincerity vague.

Like the asshole who starts talking about the Muppets in the way where he is skirting whether he actually likes the Muppets or whether he is ironically posing a guilty-pleasure attachement to a childhood memory, in case you are the kind of person who thinks that any sincere attachment to a "kiddie" property is uncool.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #515 on: October 06, 2010, 05:04:09 pm »

I didn't even get this attitude from dealing with these types in music, actually. I got this from dealing with film and television hipsters in college and in Los Angeles, the same attitude transposed to motherfuckers convinced they had the next BLAIR WITCH under their hats if only everyone would treat them like a genius.

Ugh. This is getting exhausting.

I'm just saying that the extremely not-off-hand off-handedness of the band name "Times New Viking" turns me off. It suggests an attitude of attachment evasion, of a desire to frame their work as mindblowingly pure to people who like it and purposely shitty noodling to people who don't so that they can always say that what they're doing is awesome in a given context.

The music could be fine for all I know and the band name was suggested by the bassist's embittered theory-obsessed brother or something but...

I stand by the idea that the band name is SO fuck*ng PRECIOUS that one can only assume that precious attitude is pervasive in their music and, hence, they probably suck.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #516 on: October 06, 2010, 05:13:46 pm »

christ almighty somebody needs a blowjob
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #517 on: October 06, 2010, 05:15:49 pm »

sMets, have you considered going into music criticism?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #518 on: October 06, 2010, 05:20:02 pm »

I've considered all kinds of things that I wouldn't have the first idea how to actually get into.

It is...

It is sort of my THING.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #519 on: October 06, 2010, 05:38:22 pm »

Yes, Ash. There is projection involved to an extent.

I've been trying to write with an implicit sense of admission of that point. We all especially hate the bad things that remind us of our bad things.

But I come out and admit "I am terrified of being bad at things" instead of hiding behind an ever-shifting series of social poses of either indifference or claims that only insiders "get" it.

There is a point of identification in the motivation but my main disgust is with the conceit that the rough draft is the best draft so as to defend one from all possible critique from all sides.

I am messed up as hell but, holy shit, I do not run around proclaiming genius behind variable-irony-level shielding.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #520 on: October 06, 2010, 05:45:53 pm »

variable-irony-level shielding would  make a good band name.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #521 on: October 06, 2010, 05:51:10 pm »




Variable-irony-level shields to factor 9, Mr. Scott.



Captain! The engines!  They canna take the strrrain!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #522 on: October 06, 2010, 05:52:50 pm »

wait...... why dont you like those bands or their names again?  i didnt quite grasp the concept youre trying to communicate....
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #523 on: October 06, 2010, 06:14:46 pm »

You can't put stage dressing on your salad, man.  Think about that.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #524 on: October 06, 2010, 06:16:13 pm »

It is more like:

"CAPTAIN! The engines! If they end up working, that's totally because I'm so awesome I didn't even have to try! If they don't, I wasn't even trying because you don't get me at all and fuck you that's why! I'll totally aim my escape pod toward my old college roommate's apartment and crash on the couch until my next trust fund check comes through!"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 190   Go Up