Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380541 times)

0 Members and 64 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #540 on: October 06, 2010, 11:23:25 pm »

I predict LFM will hate Pitchfork.

Of course he will.  He's much better suited for Kerrang!.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #541 on: October 07, 2010, 12:46:09 am »

The thing about Pitchfork that makes me laugh lately is how they've been giving a bunch of classic reissues -- Exile on Main Street, all the top Beatles albums -- a perfect 10.0.  Whereas you know that if these reviews were contemporaneous they'd have been sneering 6's and 5's ... like what I imagine LFM might write about Blonde on Blonde.  (I'd like to read that.)
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #542 on: October 07, 2010, 01:11:57 am »

LFM, don't you like Tim and Eric a whole lot?

Because when you describe what you think is going on here, it sounds like you are describing my feelings about Tim and Eric.

What would you say to someone who said "this sucks, they are really bad at acting, they are really bad at editing, this show is really bad."
Isn't the answer to that, "no, you don't get it, they're doing this on purpose?"

And maybe you're going to say "no, it's supposed to be funny, they're being bad on purpose."
But, I mean, doesn't that mean that they just have a different aesthetic than mainstream television? They are purposely doing what they are not supposed to do, to get a certain effect?

Also, show me the band that doesn't fit the explanation "if you like us, it's because we're awesome, and if you don't, it's because you don't get it." People typically make music that they like to make and listen to.

I feel like your explanation, if it were true, would lead to these lo-fi lo-instrument-ability bands all getting nothing but positive reviews for every album, when reviewed by people who like this kind of music. And yet, I can listen to one Times New Viking song and like it, and another and not like it. What gives?

In response to something paul said a while ago, about the classic albums of the 60s being recorded on mediocre equipment and on-the-fly, do you think those albums would be better albums if they were recorded with better equipment and over a longer time frame?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #543 on: October 07, 2010, 01:29:21 am »

LFM, don't you like Tim and Eric a whole lot?

Because when you describe what you think is going on here, it sounds like you are describing my feelings about Tim and Eric.

What would you say to someone who said "this sucks, they are really bad at acting, they are really bad at editing, this show is really bad."

YES! Oh god do Tim and Eric suck. Nothing even remotely entertaining let alone funny ever happened on Tom Goes to the Mayor. It was just awkward and horrible and lasted forever despite only being 11 minutes long.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #544 on: October 07, 2010, 01:32:52 am »

oh, I actually like Tim and Eric, I just think a lot about how loving Tim and Eric makes me fit every negative connotation of the word "hipster."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #545 on: October 07, 2010, 02:14:33 am »

True hipsters don't enjoy comedy, only politics and foreign drama and shit.  And dirty old books.
Logged
ACHIEVE

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #546 on: October 07, 2010, 03:02:35 am »

That is a damn good point inev.  I don't like all those stupid tv nerd shows.  If I want to watch tv I want to have a semi-easy to understand story and some jokes.  The story can be bizarre, but I want a story not just some assholes fuck*ng around.  With music I am open to anything that sounds good to me, cause I am a music nerd.  Music and TV nerds make up a great portion of the "hipster" crowd LFM is talking about I am guessing.

So LFM, I know you have made some TV show threads, do people just go in them and bash the shit out of what you like for stupid reasons?  Do people with their heads up their ass come in their and spurt a bunch of bullshit and when you ask them to stop they continue?  Yeah, fuck off.  Go listen to Slash.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #547 on: October 07, 2010, 03:24:54 am »

Quote from: KeithHernandez
So LFM, I know you have made some TV show threads, do people just go in them and bash the shit out of what you like for stupid reasons?  Do people with their heads up their ass come in their and spurt a bunch of bullshit and when you ask them to stop they continue?

If anyone wants to, they're more than welcome to, unless The Mods That Be are opposed.

It'd probably be interesting and if it wasn't, I probably just wouldn't respond after a point.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #548 on: October 07, 2010, 04:51:47 am »

I probably just wouldn't respond after a point.

No, you would respond multiple times explaining why you are right and why hipsters blow.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #549 on: October 07, 2010, 05:15:28 am »

The thing about Pitchfork that makes me laugh lately is how they've been giving a bunch of classic reissues -- Exile on Main Street, all the top Beatles albums -- a perfect 10.0.  Whereas you know that if these reviews were contemporaneous they'd have been sneering 6's and 5's ... like what I imagine LFM might write about Blonde on Blonde.  (I'd like to read that.)

It sounds like you chiding Pitchfork for getting it right.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #550 on: October 07, 2010, 05:22:35 am »

Ya know what, there actually shouldn't be any new music.  Enough is enough, people, get a real job.

haha, brilliant.


listened to the new Arcade Fire. it's pretty good.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #551 on: October 07, 2010, 05:24:57 am »

listened to the new Arcade Fire. it's pretty good.

I'm going to be rocking out at the arcade.  I hope it doesn't catch on fire.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #552 on: October 07, 2010, 05:56:27 am »

It sounds like you chiding Pitchfork for getting it right.

I'm chiding them for acting un-Pitchfork when faced with monumentally agreed-upon albums by the pantheon artists of rock. 

They're bullies, they is.  They'll only take a stand on new bands about which there is no consensus and often no reputation whatsoever.

(Don't get me wrong, it's a useful website and the reviews always have at least a shade of a good point.)
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #553 on: October 07, 2010, 01:09:50 pm »

listened to the new Arcade Fire. it's pretty good.

It's interesting--I like the new album end-to-end better than I liked "Neon Bible," but I don't think there are any individual tracks that are so much kick-ass like "Keep the Car Running" and a couple other songs off that record.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #554 on: October 07, 2010, 05:40:20 pm »

Speaking of Pitchfork, the author of Cat and Girl has in-depth comparisons of the artists who appear on their lists, vs those who show up on the Billboard lists.  I am not sure why she did that, other than that cereal acquisition may have been involved.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 190   Go Up