Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381245 times)

0 Members and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #555 on: October 07, 2010, 06:11:33 pm »

Someone on both of those lists are from Houston.  I don't know who that might be.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #556 on: October 07, 2010, 10:36:22 pm »

I really like Wham!, and I don't think any other band from here on out should use punctuation in their name.

Also, Brule is the only character on Tim and Eric that doesn't suck. And there's something . . . I mean, the whole "self-aware" thing, it just makes me think of Family Guy, all telling the joke and then absolutely running it into the fuck*ng ground. I hate that shit. Take six minutes of jokes and then stretch 'em out four times as long by just going back to them over and over? Weak.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #557 on: October 07, 2010, 10:39:18 pm »

Someone on both of those lists are from Houston.  I don't know who that might be.

It was 2008, so maybe UGK is on both the billboard and the pitchfork list?  I think UGK was more 2007 so I could be wrong.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #558 on: October 07, 2010, 10:54:35 pm »

See, the thing is that the only thing I DON'T hate about "Family Guy" is their undercurrent of comedy of the awkward/stretched-out joke. They don't usually use the device well but sometimes it is a device that can hit on accident.

Family Guy sucks because of the 95% of the jokes that are either badly lifted from other sources or are just "Hey, do you remember that? REMEMBERING IS FUNNY!"

What I like about Tim and Eric most of all is just how truly angry it is.

It is such an angry show. Our culture is littered with people aiming at the lowest common denominator and trying to sell them useless crap and not even doing it WELL and... everything about the Tim and Eric schtick is about just ratcheting past parodying those things and straight on into the grotesque.

A sitcom might send up these things as silly, a Saturday Night Live might send these things up as stupid... Tim and Eric send these things up as hellish horrors that are deserved by people lazy enough to not see through them.

And I just LOVE it. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #559 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:48 pm »

There's something about Tim and Eric that sort of feels like Mr. Show, but just a bubble off.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #560 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:20 pm »

I thought I liked Tim and Eric when I had just seen a bunch of random clips online, and then I realized I LOVE it when I saw full episodes.

And yes, I do love the thing where a not-funny thing is stretched out for so long that it becomes funny.


For some reason my only "meeting a celebrity at work" fantasy is seeing David Liebe Hart/Tim/Eric and saying "Salame" when they pay for their stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #561 on: October 07, 2010, 11:18:10 pm »

See, the thing is that the only thing I DON'T hate about "Family Guy" is their undercurrent of comedy of the awkward/stretched-out joke. They don't usually use the device well but sometimes it is a device that can hit on accident.

You nailed it. Not only that Family Guy sucks, but the only thing it does right is the stretched-out joke. And it's not that difficult to do that every once in a while.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #562 on: October 07, 2010, 11:29:55 pm »

I must have only seen the Family Guy episodes where dude fell asleep with his hand on the "draw the fuck*ng joke out" button.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #563 on: October 08, 2010, 12:29:06 am »

It was 2008, so maybe UGK is on both the billboard and the pitchfork list?  I think UGK was more 2007 so I could be wrong.

Oh yeah, Bun B.  I've heard of him.  Is he good?  I saw his bus one time.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #564 on: October 08, 2010, 03:42:17 am »

UGK (he was 1/2) had an album called Underground Kings in 2007ish that is pretty good for Hardcore Rap.  I don't really dig too much of that and I really liked this album.  Bun B will often appear as a guest on pretty decent tracks/remixes.  Never listened to any of his solo stuff.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #565 on: October 08, 2010, 03:50:30 am »

See, the thing is that the only thing I DON'T hate about "Family Guy" is their undercurrent of comedy of the awkward/stretched-out joke. They don't usually use the device well but sometimes it is a device that can hit on accident.

Family Guy sucks because of the 95% of the jokes that are either badly lifted from other sources or are just "Hey, do you remember that? REMEMBERING IS FUNNY!"

What I like about Tim and Eric most of all is just how truly angry it is.

It is such an angry show. Our culture is littered with people aiming at the lowest common denominator and trying to sell them useless crap and not even doing it WELL and... everything about the Tim and Eric schtick is about just ratcheting past parodying those things and straight on into the grotesque.

A sitcom might send up these things as silly, a Saturday Night Live might send these things up as stupid... Tim and Eric send these things up as hellish horrors that are deserved by people lazy enough to not see through them.

And I just LOVE it. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Okay, let me try this nicer.

You could maybe see how someone would say "hey, they aren't even trying?  Where are the jokes, why am I watching this?"  But you have the right cultural milestones and a similar enough perspective to say, yeah, I dig this.  I don't (i have never seen the show, I could like it I don't know) but I can't just say oh they are fuck*ng stupid look at their stupid name, trying to act cool, make the Bob Newheart Show again.  Well I could, but that would be a dick move (you are making dick moves).  So why do you want bands to make the same album over and over? 

And one more thing:  You ever try to name a band?  Pretty much every fuck*ng name is taken.  Even Kelvin and the Fahrenheits is a band for fucks sake.  Anything you can come up with remotely clever or catchy that hasn't been taken you pretty much have to use.  We wanted the be The Electric Blanket.  There are already two bands with that name.  We wanted to be the Grand Tetons, already taken, etc. etc.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #566 on: October 08, 2010, 04:08:49 am »

People also run into the problem where you can't really change your name once you are known at all.

I'm trying to think of a band that has successfully done this. The Soft Pack (formerly The Muslims)? I guess it is different in the modern age, when every blog will just post "OMG Muslims sign to Warner Records, change their name to something stupid. here is their new mp3."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #567 on: October 08, 2010, 04:20:10 am »

When a band signs to a label is the most common time to change the name.  And of course a label isn't going to release an album by a band called the Muslims. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #568 on: October 08, 2010, 04:58:27 am »

It's interesting--I like the new album end-to-end better than I liked "Neon Bible," but I don't think there are any individual tracks that are so much kick-ass like "Keep the Car Running" and a couple other songs off that record.

i have not heard any of their prior albums.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #569 on: October 08, 2010, 01:34:06 pm »

People also run into the problem where you can't really change your name once you are known at all.

I'm trying to think of a band that has successfully done this. The Soft Pack (formerly The Muslims)? I guess it is different in the modern age, when every blog will just post "OMG Muslims sign to Warner Records, change their name to something stupid. here is their new mp3."

I am still pissed at Cactus Patch for changing their name to Army of Me. Seriously, what the fuck is that?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 190   Go Up