lately, having to listen to an endless most-repeating playlist of pop music at work, I think a lot about how what other people seem to listen for in music is not what I listen for.
and I don't mean this in some sort of weird, snobby, "other people don't know what is good" way. I actually kind of think that my sense of melody/form/tonality/something has been so warped from what it used to be that I can no longer judge what will sound "too weird" or "corny" or whatever to most/other people. In one direction, I remember a point when I thought The Byrds or Simon and Garfunkel or any country music sounded unbelievably corny, and syrupy-sweet. Now I love that. On the other hand, I find
Conduit for Sale really really catchy-- it gets stuck in my head all the time-- even though I can remember how much it turned me off when I first heard it. I recall trying SO hard to understand what other people got out of it, and thinking it was unbelievably annoying.
The reason I bring this up is that I'm constantly amazed by the music they play at work. Specifically, on certain days, they play mix CDs that coworkers/managers/etc have made, and it blows my mind what some of these people think is good music to play in a grocery store. I can never judge which CDs will be popular with my co-workers and which will be hated. One girl made a CD of all horrible modern dance music (Lady Ga-Ga and various ripoffs) which everyone loved. That CD actually alternated modern dance music with POUNDING beats with shit like
this. My manager said "I LOVE this CD. You GO girl!" Another employee made a CD of 80s hits that everyone despised, including people who are older/younger than me. People complain about the old-school funk CD one guy made. A guy who is actually a DJ and crafted a really, really good mix that had me bopping around with a smile on my face for the entire 1:30 or however long it was, which people hated and complain about whenever he tries to put it on.
I don't know, I am having trouble coming up with good examples. I just hear certain pop songs that I think are really WEIRD, and see everyone loving them, and hear others that I think are catchy and good and everyone complains about them. Similar things occur when live musicians perform in the store-- the performer who I think the most co-workers complained about was the only one I've liked. What is so grating about a duo of women with pretty voices, guitar, and piano, covering Beatles and Neil Young songs!? At least one person said "THIS IS BARELY EVEN MUSIC."
This also occurs with my little sister-- I try to send stuff her way that I think she'll appreciate, and I can never guess what will be "too weird" and what will be "awesome."
I am going to make a mix for work, and I can't decide how prepared I should be for derision and rude comments. I'll avoid stuff like
this no matter how much it makes me think of Gaga in some weird way. I am trying to resist my urge to put in
JUST ONE really abrasive, punky song. (man, I want to put that song on there so bad. This song got me through my first couple weeks working here.)
So yeah, I am trying to find stuff that I like that won't weird people out, and at this point I don't know if I know what that even is.
It will definitely include
My Secret Weapon.
(also: today I heard Hot Tuna on the radio. I had never heard them before. This song they played was awesome, and the guy never said what the name of the track was. Damn it.)