Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 382450 times)

0 Members and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #630 on: November 05, 2010, 02:42:09 pm »

Indeed, it drives me nuts to hear a band that I know was really solid described as a one-hit wonder.  Ever hear Big Country's entire first record?  Or any of their other albums? They freakin' rocked. Yet they will always appear on VH1's One-Hit Wonder shows.

I just recently discovered that The Cardigans have other songs that aren't awful.

In the Meantime was the only Spacehog song I ever heard on the radio. Of course I also thought until recently that Train was a one-hit wonder because my radio station played Drops of Jupiter for about 2 weeks 9 years ago then never mentioned them again. Apparently on other stations they had many, many other songs.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #631 on: November 05, 2010, 02:59:50 pm »

i want to live

I'd never heard that song before, was it a hit?

I checked their wiki just yesterday.  They actually have three albums, but only the one sold well I think.  I liked that song from their third album so maybe i should check them out as well.  Especially since I love their first album so well.

The wiki also says they reunited in 2008 and started working on an album in 2009, but it hasn't been released.  There is also mention of another band with 3 of of the four Spacehog members called Arckid, but they haven't released any music either.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #633 on: November 05, 2010, 03:42:02 pm »

Well, one-hit wonder is sort of a specific definition. People probably shouldn't be slagged with the designation - after all, Jimi Hendrix was a one-hit wonder, and Black Sabbath only had one single (Paranoid) crack the top twenty.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #634 on: November 05, 2010, 07:53:11 pm »

OK, I proclaim today The Mayor's day all day long and into the night for being so right.

Them dude's were solid.

look out here come's an 's
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #635 on: November 05, 2010, 08:35:28 pm »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #636 on: November 06, 2010, 09:29:13 pm »

I am listening to Ren and Stimpy production music.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #637 on: November 09, 2010, 07:23:06 am »

This is apropos of nothing, but I miss two things about music.  They sound like they're opposites but they're not.

1. I miss people who are actually good at what they're doing and try to sound good.  Alternately, I miss people who are having fun doing what they're doing and try to sound like they're having fun.  You don't have to use ALL the menu options in ProTools just because they're there, producers.  It's okay to practice stuff and get better at playing it, musicians.

2. I miss hearing mistakes in musical recordings.  A recording made of 140 perfect 4-bar cuts just doesn't have the soul of a performance.  If I Fell is a good performance even if Paul misses a note.  That's kind of a crappy example, but basically if nothing unexpected happens when you're playing the music isn't really free in my opinion.

I have no idea why I posted this today!  But I did.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #638 on: November 09, 2010, 07:49:43 am »

I saw Spindrift today.  They played their new/not yet recorded album (from what I understand the album at this point, pretty much in order.)  It seems like that is going to be a really good album.  The main guy is like my favorite guitarist ever, but he uses a lot of shitty effects live.

Also, standing two feet away from a really loud stage with only highs and lows equals pain.  Sweet sweet pain.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:49:27 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #639 on: November 09, 2010, 10:22:49 pm »

I been seein all these local acts so there is no point to mention the names, but on Friday I was dancing like a prick until I twisted my ankle hell of bad.

Thursday gonna see Dance Fight.  Instrumental power trio and the lead man plays keys and keytar simultaneous.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #640 on: November 10, 2010, 12:39:30 am »

I don't normally go on about bubblegum pop, but hearing some goof on NPR gush over Taylor Swift's new album made me drop my jaw. The reviewer played clips of the music seeking to prove his point, but all I heard was mildly clever teen-angst sung in a reedy voice, punctuated with crystal clear autotune corrections.  Was the autotuning a deliberate stylistic thing?  It didn't have the over-the-top feel of Cher's playing around in Believe, but it sure as hell didn't sound natural to me. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #641 on: November 10, 2010, 12:44:18 am »

I don't normally go on about bubblegum pop, but hearing some goof on NPR gush over Taylor Swift's new album made me drop my jaw. The reviewer played clips of the music seeking to prove his point, but all I heard was mildly clever teen-angst sung in a reedy voice, punctuated with crystal clear autotune corrections.  Was the autotuning a deliberate stylistic thing?  It didn't have the over-the-top feel of Cher's playing around in Believe, but it sure as hell didn't sound natural to me. 

supposedly writes her own songs, but they all sound like teen-pop BS. it appears as though she is being marketed as a less threatening avril lavigne.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #642 on: November 10, 2010, 04:40:45 am »

If it's on the radio nowadays, it's going to be autotuned.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #643 on: November 10, 2010, 04:59:35 am »

I'm reading The Rest is Noise and trying to listen to the people he writes about. I am really bad at listening to any music over 4 minutes long, though, so it is a challenge.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #644 on: November 10, 2010, 06:22:52 pm »

Any big Swans fans up in this piece? They're playing Portland in February. I like the (citation needed) bit in Wiki: "One of the trademarks of Swans' early period was playing at painfully loud volumes during concerts, to the point where some audience members would vomit".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 190   Go Up