Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380006 times)

0 Members and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #675 on: December 05, 2010, 09:35:25 am »

Cool Song, Keith.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #676 on: December 05, 2010, 10:11:05 am »

They are from Texas too.

And Paul, I don't know if you are into this type of stuff, but they are basically ripping off Spacemen 3, who mixed the 13th Floor Elevators (Texas!) and the Stooges and the Blues and thousands of other places (but hell of the 13th Floor Elevators) with drone (and heroin), and the 13th Floor Elevators.  The Black Angels add back in the original 13th Floor Elevators electric jug very occasionally (I can't get enough of that jug.)

Here is a really good Spacemen 3 cover of a song by The Spades, The 13th Floor Elevators singers first band, mixed with a song by the 13th Floor Elevators that was a better version of this song with worse lyrics.  Got it?

Spacemen 3- We Sell Soul- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gcl0YtlFfA   (if I ever get a tattoo it will be the picture in this video with an exclamation mark instead of a 3 on my left inner forearm.  This is also a rip off of the 13th Floor Elevators logo)

Here is the Spades We Sell Soul- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Sot64X0uQ and the 13th Floor Elevators Don't Fall Down- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mqdtqkrp9w&feature=related  (there is kinda the 13th Floor Elevators version of the logo, not always at the slant.)

Here are my favorite 13th Floor Elevator songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot6vHf3cEDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdpc50r5Ot4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfkwI7Md4Ik

Here is a really good song by Spacemen 3, I think they got the lyrics from the introduction on some Stooges live album.  They have a lot more really good songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxgrxD674IY&feature=related


Here is the Spades version of a song we have all heard a billion times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFT8foNZFJM&feature=watch_response

Here is another good Black Angels song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZTAA8Nxdo&feature=related



I have been listening to psychedelic drone thread, thanks for asking.


So I stayed up all night listening to Spacemen 3 and reading about them on the internet.  Some of my facts are wrong go here: http://www.spacemen3.co.uk/pages/faq/spacemenfaq.htm for everything if want to learn more.  Good night.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:03:02 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #677 on: December 05, 2010, 03:56:58 pm »

I am liking this.

How can I have 20 bands on my iPod with the word Black in them, but not this?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #678 on: December 05, 2010, 04:09:35 pm »

It's interesting to me how different the original of We Sell Soul is from the cover version, just (I think) due to the . . . scatting, almost? I don't know if it is Roky doing that sort of Van Morrison voice-over thing, but it transforms the song. The cover version just has this menace? I don't know. I love it, though, because it bugs me when people do a cover and it's basically the same song. This is really making it their own, maybe by subtraction?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #679 on: December 05, 2010, 09:20:51 pm »

My first impression was that they reminded me of Black Mountain and I didn't even make the connection that they both had Black in their name.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #680 on: December 06, 2010, 07:22:51 pm »

Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #681 on: December 09, 2010, 03:16:04 am »

Cave. Their Pure Moods EP is one of the best things I've heard all year.

Another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blr9QiU5HVc

I love that venue!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #682 on: December 09, 2010, 03:42:54 am »

I saw them at Pitchfork. They are good. I like Cave. I have not heard their album, will def. check it out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #683 on: December 13, 2010, 05:28:37 am »

Man the Wrens are so good. I can't believe I never listened to their last album in the seven years it's been out until, like, this weekend.

This one kinda reminds me of the New Pornographers for some reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1MFbz03gE

Also good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FditI_wlg6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3rTVfGr56s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7bXWsrs_B4
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #684 on: December 13, 2010, 07:00:08 am »

I heard Mahler's Resurrection symphony performed live from the second row on Friday.

God.

Damn.

It made me realize that some things just can't be recorded.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #685 on: December 16, 2010, 02:18:24 pm »

You know what's weird?  Poking around on last.fm and discovering you are a "top listener" for a band that you didn't think you were THAT into.  In this case, I think it's that the band just doesn't have that many followers, so playing the album twice is enough to put me at the top.

The band in question:  http://blog.kexp.org/blog/2010/03/05/song-of-the-day-silohs-%E2%80%93-western-haunts/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #686 on: December 16, 2010, 04:03:05 pm »

Lately I've been listening to a bunch of unreleased Thin Lizzy songs.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #687 on: December 16, 2010, 04:29:40 pm »

You ever heard Anthrax's cover of Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song", 'Bu?

So. Good.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #688 on: December 16, 2010, 05:09:59 pm »

You ever heard Anthrax's cover of Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song", 'Bu?

So. Good.

Unless I miss my guess (and that happens all the time, so maybe) you turned me on to that last year or something. Pretty sweet cover - I just wish that it hadn't been quite so faithful. I do like it better than Metallica's "Whiskey in the Jar". That cover was actually released on a cover album that pretty much totally sucks. This just in: The band Six Feet Under is terrible.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #689 on: December 16, 2010, 05:23:19 pm »

Fun wiki page of the day. I'm surprised so much can be written about Cookie Monster vocals.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 190   Go Up