Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 380347 times)

0 Members and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #720 on: January 06, 2011, 03:08:27 pm »

I picked up Neon Bible when it made everyone's best-of-the-year lists a while back, and it was one of those albums where I was skeptical at first, but it eventually grew on me.  Especially "Keep the Car Running," which freakin' rocks.

The new album The Suburbs was likewise lauded on many year-end lists.  I like it better on the whole than Neon Bible, but there aren't as many really GREAT songs on it.  But Win Butler is a very forthright, honest lyricist, and the music is good.  Try:
"City With No Children"
"Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #721 on: January 06, 2011, 04:11:31 pm »

A friend of my wife's swore by AF, but I never really had them work for me. I should try again.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #722 on: January 06, 2011, 04:19:47 pm »

I have never been able to get into them at all. My friend's sister is married to one of the guys in the band. Even when I had a big crush on her, I could not even pretend to like them.

I am definitely willing to believe that they are good and just not my taste, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #723 on: January 06, 2011, 05:17:14 pm »

I can really get into Arcade Fire on a song by song basis but I find that a whole album through is too much.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #724 on: January 06, 2011, 06:09:40 pm »

Two things:
1.  Cover art and such for my 2007 mix CD is finally completed and on the FTP server, for those who are into such things (i.e. Paul).  Started work on 2008 last night, so I'll finally be caught up on these things.
2.  I got a 1 TB external hard drive, so I have started copying all my CDs (I don't know, 350 of them?) to MP3.  My "random 15" posts will get a LOT more interesting once that's all done.  Now I just need to get my MP3-compatible car stereo reinstalled so I can be fully digital an' shit.  I decided I'm tired of burning all my eMusic downloads to disc, it's ridiculous.

I had a little Tricky festival last night.  That dude is bad-ass.

Depending on your OS you might consider using Audiograbber for this. It has an option where you can have one instance open per CD drive, and just swap discs from the trays while it rips the .wav files. Then it will actually convert them to mp3 overnight. Ripping is pretty rapid, it's the converting that eats up time. Especially with 350 discs.

I've decided to listen to my whole library this year. I'm averaging 100 songs a weekday so I figure I should be done around April. It would be longer but I'm pretty brutal about saying "I'll never listen to this song" and deleting it from iTunes. I mean, I have the CD if I ever change my mind.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #725 on: January 06, 2011, 09:17:11 pm »

Question: Arcade Fire?

Yeah, that Arcade Fire song on Carlos' mix really caught my attention too.

"Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"

This song appears on that Fluxblog 8 disc best of '10 mix.  It definitely deserves to be there. 

I think I really like Arcade Fire.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #726 on: January 06, 2011, 10:28:14 pm »

I've decided to listen to my whole library this year. I'm averaging 100 songs a weekday so I figure I should be done around April. It would be longer but I'm pretty brutal about saying "I'll never listen to this song" and deleting it from iTunes. I mean, I have the CD if I ever change my mind.

I did this a few years ago, listened to every CD I owned.  I don't listen to music as much during the day--the commute is my primary music time.  So it took a lot longer.  But it was a fun exercise.  And yeah, I did take a fair number of CDs and say "You know what?  You're going on the sale pile."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #727 on: January 06, 2011, 10:36:51 pm »

I constantly say I am going to do such a thing, and it will never happen.

For some reason I feel massive amounts of guilt about all the music I have downloaded and never listened to. It is left over from being music director, mostly, but I felt this way before that too.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #728 on: January 07, 2011, 12:20:26 am »

Arcade Fire's best song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az_2oiccZNo

Well, at least from the recent album, by which I was mostly underwhelmed. But I like the last two well enough.

This is probably my favorite Arcade Fire song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO7ZWfvCjBE

I have a memory of that song performed live with the Columbia River Gorge as the background, sun setting over the river, after eating shrooms for the first time just a bit before. Pretty fuck*ng spectacular.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #729 on: January 07, 2011, 01:30:47 am »

I did this a few years ago, listened to every CD I owned.  I don't listen to music as much during the day--the commute is my primary music time.  So it took a lot longer.  But it was a fun exercise.  And yeah, I did take a fair number of CDs and say "You know what?  You're going on the sale pile."

I last did it in 2006. If it weren't for songs that I'd purged after a single listen my first time through each album I'd probably have 600 more songs.

And I have 1033 songs in my "new" folder that I've never listened to.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #730 on: January 07, 2011, 01:41:42 am »

I can really get into Arcade Fire on a song by song basis but I find that a whole album through is too much.

thats how i feel about every band whose music i enjoy.  you guys have lengthy, well-thought-out discussuions about 'x-album' vs. 'whatever other album' from any given musical person or group, and im all, "hm". [[scratches head.shrugs]]
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #731 on: January 07, 2011, 03:04:57 am »

And I have 1033 songs in my "new" folder that I've never listened to.

2546 here, but maybe 5% of them I've heard, just not on this iPod.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #732 on: January 07, 2011, 03:56:09 am »

Arcade Fire's best song: [Rococo]

Damn, really?  That's probably my LEAST favorite song on the album.

Well, matters of taste and all that.

On the matter of the Arcade Fire, I can't pimp this enough:  www.thewildernessdowntown.com
Seriously, if you haven't seen this yet, do it now.

Also, my 2008 CD art is up.  Finally, I can check off something from my to-do list that's been there for three years.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #733 on: January 07, 2011, 05:40:45 am »

Man, their first EP is the best.  That version of keep the car running is awesome.  Their first album is pretty good too.  After that they are like little indie Bruce Springsteens.  I like Bruce Springsteen, but I do not like them.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #734 on: January 07, 2011, 06:45:59 am »


Also, my 2008 CD art is up.  Finally, I can check off something from my to-do list that's been there for three years.
Thats kind of how my to-do lists work as well.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 190   Go Up