Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379972 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #765 on: February 20, 2011, 04:00:28 am »

Thanks Nabu.

I listened to the new Radiohead.  I'm not feeling it yet.  Lots of beeps and whirs, but not a lot of melody or guitars.  Also very mellow.

But King of Limbs comes directly before King of the Delta Blues Singers in my playlist so I am having a good time listening to Robert Johnson.  Haven't heard that in way too long.

Edit:  Next up, King of the Surf Guitars.  Come on Dick Dale!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #766 on: February 20, 2011, 04:14:59 am »

I got an email from them saying it came out. I looked and saw they were charging for this one. Call me a dick, but I don't listen to In Rainbows much and it was free, so no thanks.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #767 on: February 20, 2011, 05:17:53 am »

Edit:  Next up, King of the Surf Guitars.  Come on Dick Dale!

Ah hells yeah.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #768 on: February 20, 2011, 06:37:45 am »

Let's see, how far can I take this...

King of the Texas Blues -Lightning Hopkins.  Great music, but not in the mood for country blues now after Dick Dale.
King of the World - hossshoe.  I don't know who this is.  Must be from that batch of local bands that a friend told me I should listen to.
Kingpin Soundtrack - Maybe later.
Kings of the Wild Frontier - Adam Ant.  No.
Kink Kronikles- Yes!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #769 on: February 20, 2011, 09:55:25 am »

I got an email from them saying it came out. I looked and saw they were charging for this one. Call me a dick, but I don't listen to In Rainbows much and it was free, so no thanks.

FWIW I fuck*ng love it. In Rainbows took at least a year to grow on me and I still rarely listen to it. This one may be my favorite since Kid A.

I listened to the new Radiohead.  I'm not feeling it yet.  Lots of beeps and whirs, but not a lot of melody or guitars.  Also very mellow.

Guitar rock was, is, and will forever remain my first love in music, but to me Radiohead was at their best when they first moved away from conventional guitar rock. I don't agree with the "lots of beeps and whirs" comment, although it is pretty mellow, and yeah, not a lot of guitar in the foreground. To each his own.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #770 on: February 20, 2011, 05:50:55 pm »

Ok, I may give it a try.

My King albums:
King Bee - Muddy Waters
King for a Day/Fool for a Lifetime - Faith No More
Kingdom of Rust - Doves
Kings of Punk - Poison Idea

(I'm pretty sure I have more at home that aren't on the iPod.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #771 on: February 20, 2011, 06:07:52 pm »

Ummm...

King - T.I.
King Night - Salem
King of Limbs - Radiohead
King of the Mountain - Kate Bush single (b/w cover of Sexual Healing, interesting but why listen to it when I have Marvin's which is the best song ever)
Kings of Crunk - Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz

Then it jumps to Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me. Sorry guys.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #772 on: February 20, 2011, 06:14:32 pm »

My complete King list

King - Belly
Kings X - Kings X
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents In Concert - John Entwistle
King of Hearts - Roy Orbison
King of Limbs - Radiohead
King of the Texas Blues -Lightning Hopkins
King of the World - hossshoe
Kingpin Soundtrack
Kings of the Wild Frontier - Adam Ant

King Bee - Muddy Waters

Dang, I have it on vinyl.  I can't believe I've never got it digitally.  Such a great album.  It's essential!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #773 on: February 20, 2011, 07:42:14 pm »

S/T-- King Khan and the BBQ Show
King of Afrobeat-- Fela Kuti
King of the Beach-- Wavves
King of the Surf Guitar-- Dick Dale
King of the Delta Blues Singers-- Robert Johnson

then on to the kinks.

I have never been huge on Radiohead. I mostly like their guitar stuff, because apparently I am a guitar man through and through.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #774 on: February 20, 2011, 07:46:11 pm »

My Robt Johnson is entitled "The Complete Recordings" but they're all the same, really.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #775 on: February 20, 2011, 08:05:07 pm »

because apparently I am a guitar man through and through.

Just not when it comes to Jazz.

Hooray for the electric guitar. Best instrument ever. Listening to Sonic Youth right now. I guess it's kind of strange that I like Radiohead's non guitar stuff best.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #776 on: February 20, 2011, 08:13:51 pm »

OK, do you like Bad Moon Rising?

I am listening to it now, finally.

my GF's friend said that before Evol, Sonic Youth were "really bad" and for some reason that really aggravated me. It really bothers me when people do not make the "I don't like it"/"it is bad" distinction.

Also, my thought was that when I am listening to challenging music, I typically rely to some degree on the idea that if other people whose opinions I respect like something, it is worth listening to several times to give it a chance. And Thurston Moore is way higher on my list than some dickbag college radio kid.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #777 on: February 20, 2011, 08:55:07 pm »

I like it. Among the albums I have it's the one with which I'm least familiar. It's also the earliest album I own. I need to explore those first three some more.

This is kind of fun. I knew some of the guys that wrote for the site, fakejazz.com, and that links to a feature they did when Murray Street was released.

I like how divided they are on NYC Ghosts & Flowers. That shitbag Brent DiCrescenzo hated it. I haven't listened to it yet.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #778 on: February 20, 2011, 09:19:12 pm »

You guys like Golden Smog? My wife bought me Another Fine Day a few years ago, knowing that I like Wilco. It's no Another Perfect Day, but then again, what is?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #779 on: February 20, 2011, 09:27:23 pm »

Never listened to Golden Smog, but was annoyed by them once because they were in town and at first glance I thought I was reading that Smog was in town.

But I do really like Another Perfect Day, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkb2nMr. WonderfulvBs  The fuck?

This work?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:31:44 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 190   Go Up